• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too humid

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a month old beardie and the basking area stays around 90 to 110 it's hottest. But the humidity gets around 50 during day and 60 during night. How can I get the humidity down? I've read to get a smaller drinking dish. But other than that what can I do?

Attachments

• 20180311_131428.jpg
    20180311_131428.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a month old beardie and the basking area stays around 90 to 110 it's hottest. But the humidity gets around 50 during day and 60 during night. How can I get the humidity down? I've read to get a smaller drinking dish. But other than that what can I do?
He's 5 months correction

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, I would take the water dish out completely, its really not needed. Your dragon should get all of the water it needs from its bugs and veggies, plus its rare they will drink from a dish anyway. If you are worried it is not getting enough hydration, it may drink when bathing or you can put the occasional drop of water on its nose and it will lick it off, or spritzing his veggies with a bit of water will get a bit more into him also keeps the veg fresh a bit longer. Dragons have super efficient livers and will extract every last drop of water from their food, hence the very dry white urate in their poop.
Sometimes the ambient humidity outside is higher than recommended for dragons, so getting the levels in an eclosure below what it is outside can be an impossiblity unless you have expensive dehumidifiers at your disposal. Levels will naturally go up at night when it is cooler, if you can drop the daytime level by about 10 it would be ideal.

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, I would take the water dish out completely, its really not needed. Your dragon should get all of the water it needs from its bugs and veggies, plus its rare they will drink from a dish anyway. If you are worried it is not getting enough hydration, it may drink when bathing or you can put the occasional drop of water on its nose and it will lick it off, or spritzing his veggies with a bit of water will get a bit more into him also keeps the veg fresh a bit longer. Dragons have super efficient livers and will extract every last drop of water from their food, hence the very dry white urate in their poop.
Sometimes the ambient humidity outside is higher than recommended for dragons, so getting the levels in an eclosure below what it is outside can be an impossiblity unless you have expensive dehumidifiers at your disposal. Levels will naturally go up at night when it is cooler, if you can drop the daytime level by about 10 it would be ideal.
During the day it sits steady at 50% but id like to get it down to around 30ish would make me feel better. I'll try the dish first but anything else I can do to get it down without buying a dehumidifier. It's on the list next time I stop at wally world but that's not for a couple days. I'm also gonna change the sand cuz I've def spilt some in the sand and am thinking it's holding moisture

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
During the day it sits steady at 50% but id like to get it down to around 30ish would make me feel better. I'll try the dish first but anything else I can do to get it down without buying a dehumidifier. It's on the list next time I stop at wally world but that's not for a couple days. I'm also gonna change the sand cuz I've def spilt some in the sand and am thinking it's holding moisture

So I'm home now and had the water bowl out the ta k. It's dropped below 50 but not 40. Am I okay with this? I'll take a pic and post up soon

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I'm home now and had the water bowl out the ta k. It's dropped below 50 but not 40. Am I okay with this? I'll take a pic and post up soon

That's the tank right now 6pm eastern
96563a641a68537a90131567845d040b.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would get a different humidity gauge and make sure that your humidity is actually what you think it is. Sometimes those analog gauges aren't very accurate. They have these digital temp/humidity devices that you can get for like 10-13 bucks that are real good they are by Accurite and they are made for our houses but work perfect for reptile homes.

You can try a little fan on top of the tank to pull the air out, that might help some. It's normal for the humidity to rise at night because you don't have the lights on to dry things up. Before you do anything else though, I would make sure the gauge is correct.

What kind of lights are you using for UVB and basking?

Mr.pickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get a different humidity gauge and make sure that your humidity is actually what you think it is. Sometimes those analog gauges aren't very accurate. They have these digital temp/humidity devices that you can get for like 10-13 bucks that are real good they are by Accurite and they are made for our houses but work perfect for reptile homes.

You can try a little fan on top of the tank to pull the air out, that might help some. It's normal for the humidity to rise at night because you don't have the lights on to dry things up. Before you do anything else though, I would make sure the gauge is correct.

What kind of lights are you using for UVB and basking?
I'm using a 150watt basking bulb an a 100 watt night light.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bearded dragons need a strip UVB light covering at least 2/3'rds the tank, as well as a heat light. The two lights need to over lap each other so the body can synthesize D3 and Calcium. Having lights on at night disrupts their sleep cycle and doesn't let their brain rest, if your tank drops below 65 degrees at night use a CHE to heat the tank (but it should still be under 70 degrees at night).

Please read the pinned links at the top of the General Information section.

JamesH

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am having a problem with humidity recently as well. i was attributing it to recently adding contact backdrops to the sides of the enclosure, but after reading this thread I am thinking more that it might be the ambient humidity. I am leaving the enclosure doors open a lot and the ambient humidity outside is 50%. I will keep an eye on it.