• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on the Exo Terra 13w 150uvb bulb

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am new to the beardie gang, and am getting a habitat ready for a baby in the very near future. I have a 40 gallon tank and have purchased the Exo Terra 13w 150 uvb bulb. Is this a good one to use? I've purchased a dual lamp cap for the bulbs, and a 60w ceramic heat emitter for the heat source. Would the uvb bulb I have, paired with the ceramic heat emitter be good for a baby beardie in a 40 gallon, 16" tall tank?
Thank you SO much for any and all advice. I want to get it right so I can give my beardie a great life.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Trekkiegoat, you will need a T5 UVB tube light and fixture. I recommend the Arcadia 12% or a Reptisun 10.0. For babies the basking temperature should be between 105-110. Beardies love to climb so I would recommend 2 hammocks one on the hot side and one on the cool side, I would also recommend two hides again one on the hot side and another one on the cool side and a climbing branch. Another thing I would line to recommend is paper towel or tile for substrate never use lose substrate especially for babies they can cause impaction it they accidentally eat eat.

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Trekkiegoat, you will need a T5 UVB tube light and fixture. I recommend the Arcadia 12% or a Reptisun 10.0. For babies the basking temperature should be between 105-110. Beardies love to climb so I would recommend 2 hammocks one on the hot side and one on the cool side, I would also recommend two hides again one on the hot side and another one on the cool side and a climbing branch. Another thing I would line to recommend is paper towel or tile for substrate never use lose substrate especially for babies they can cause impaction it they accidentally eat eat.
What are your thoughts on mercury vapor bulbs? Do you think in a 40 gallon tank, placing a mercury vapor bulb next to a ceramic heat emitter in a dual lamp cap would be alright, until I'm able to get a tube light? I only ask because it's hard to find any tube lights where I live, and also because I don't know who else to ask all my beardie questions to.
Right now my house gets cold at night, but in the summer it's hot, so maybe the ceramic heat emitter would be good for just at night until it heats up in the spring?
Thank you for all your advice and for answering me, I really do appreciate it.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
What are your thoughts on mercury vapor bulbs? Do you think in a 40 gallon tank, placing a mercury vapor bulb next to a ceramic heat emitter in a dual lamp cap would be alright, until I'm able to get a tube light? I only ask because it's hard to find any tube lights where I live, and also because I don't know who else to ask all my beardie questions to.
Right now my house gets cold at night, but in the summer it's hot, so maybe the ceramic heat emitter would be good for just at night until it heats up in the spring?
Thank you for all your advice and for answering me

Thank you for all your advice and for answering me, I really do appreciate it.
I recommend going to reptilebasics.inc to order the correct T5 fixture and Arcadia UVB lights. I attached everything you need.

Attachments

• 9177EB20-04D3-44C1-BC3D-25436A195D99.png
    9177EB20-04D3-44C1-BC3D-25436A195D99.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 0BCA45BF-77F4-4115-A306-2FE385307D89.png
    0BCA45BF-77F4-4115-A306-2FE385307D89.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 35

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am new to the beardie gang, and am getting a habitat ready for a baby in the very near future. I have a 40 gallon tank and have purchased the Exo Terra 13w 150 uvb bulb. Is this a good one to use? I've purchased a dual lamp cap for the bulbs, and a 60w ceramic heat emitter for the heat source. Would the uvb bulb I have, paired with the ceramic heat emitter be good for a baby beardie in a 40 gallon, 16" tall tank?
Thank you SO much for any and all advice. I want to get it right so I can give my beardie a great life.
Please no coils!!! If your tank is 16" your going to need to have that fixture strapped to the to top of screen the T 5 requires a distance of 12-15 inches basking decor directly underneath- you need a bright white basking bulb no colored or off white- you only need a CHE if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite otherwise no extra heat is necessary

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please no coils!!! If your tank is 16" your going to need to have that fixture strapped to the to top of screen the T 5 requires a distance of 12-15 inches basking decor directly underneath- you need a bright white basking bulb no colored or off white- you only need a CHE if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite otherwise no extra heat is necessary
Do you mean the coil shape of the bulb? What makes them so bad? Asking because I'm genuinely curious, not being hostile or argumentative. I'm here for all the advice and very much appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you mean the coil shape of the bulb? What makes them so bad? Asking because I'm genuinely curious, not being hostile or argumentative. I'm here for all the advice and very much appreciate it.
Coils are bad because they do not emit the proper uvb rays-- I have seen so many health issues from the coil--- especially the 13 watt it's one of the worst - they do have a 26 watt Reptisun brand I have not heard things yet about them but they need to be in a reflective dome w/ NO obstruction and approx 6-8 inches from basking - I personally am not a fan of Coils-- the best uvb on the market is the one recommended- the first year of life for your dragon is very very important- your basking temps and UVB is the most important thing in that tank-- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual.basking temps- if you like I can post info on the UVB's if you like

Trekkiegoat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Coils are bad because they do not emit the proper uvb rays-- I have seen so many health issues from the coil--- especially the 13 watt it's one of the worst - they do have a 26 watt Reptisun brand I have not heard things yet about them but they need to be in a reflective dome w/ NO obstruction and approx 6-8 inches from basking - I personally am not a fan of Coils-- the best uvb on the market is the one recommended- the first year of life for your dragon is very very important- your basking temps and UVB is the most important thing in that tank-- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual.basking temps- if you like I can post info on the UVB's if you like
That would be super awesome, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--

The 26 watt coil
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

I personally would go w/ the long tube fixture -- your gonna have better output of UVB --

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Coil UVB is only providing UVB in that one small area and it is not sufficient. You want to Tube UVB and it should cover 3/4 of the enclosure