• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thor and I need help.

luke novak

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thor is my bearded dragon. I've had him for 7 months now. It saddens me to say that his enclosure is still a 20 gallon. He manages and I make sure to do what I can to get him free roaming time around my room to help him. I planned to get him a 4'x2'x2' tank months ago but I've had some troubles. I do not have money to drop on a new set up for Thor and I dont qant to get rid of him.(Although I have looked into this cause I cant keep holding him in the tiny tank). So I am coming to the reptile community for help. I've made a GoFundMe to help pay for Thor's new set up. Yes I know, asking people for money for this as it's my personal responsibility is maybe not the best. However, of you read the campaign you will see the reason why I am in this position. To briefly give you insight, my family separated and I had to step up, people got I'll, and the funds I had were used for basic necessities for the family. These funds were put aside to purchase Thors new enclosure. So I am asking you if you are able, please donate and share my campaign, if you can not donate that's okay, please share it though so we can reach a large group of people.Any efforts you give is already more than I could ever ask for. gf.me/u/t9kmsv is the link for the campaign. I really hope you read to the end and I thank you for your time you took to read this. If I didnt have to ask I would not I am hurt to have to do this. It's just my last shot I think for Thor as now my family won't help me with funds and left me on my own to do it. Anyways, thank you.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
I wish I could donate, I'm saving for my own, but I want to recommend you look on craigslist for used aquariums and tanks, there are lots on there, plenty are bigger than what you have. Might help you until you get money for a really big one. Always check the free section, too, sometimes people just one a big useless item out of their house.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
Correction, I'm no longer saving for my own, so I can donate, however, I'd like to share what I learned yesterday. I called a specialty store here locally, I live near Nashville TN, this store has been here a long time, and they are very knowledgeable. I asked the guy in the reptile room about the tank sizes, and explained I'd like a tank with a larger footprint than what I have (36"x16"). He said he's known a lot of people who have paid a lot for large enclosures for their dragons, and the adult dragons tend to pick one corner and just hang out there. Then the owner has to work even harder to heat the whole thing. So even though I wish now I had bought one that's 18 or 20" deep, he said what I have is actually just fine.

So I started instead looking for ways to have Murray out of his tank and able to move around a little bit every day, and that saved me a ton of time building a larger tank, and money, as well. So your 20 gal might not be enough, I realize, but maybe searching for something huge isn't all that necessary. I wish you luck!! I ran into the trouble of finding glass that was the right size to even cut to fit a 4x2 tank, and the stuff at the hardware stores is half the thickness of what the pet store terrariums are made with.

luke novak

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the information. I will watch both forum and Facebook threads. I appreciate how willing you are to help. And thank you for the information about the tank. I will gladly take that information into my decisions of tank size now.