• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gabrielle Kelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, i got a bearded dragon named Mushu. He is a fancy bearded dragon and i got him from pet smart. I’ve only had him for a day, and he ate 2 Dubai roaches yesterday and hasn’t eaten anything today. I used a thrive juvenile bearded dragon start up pack. He hasn’t drank water from a dish yet, or ate any freeze dried meal worms. He is very good with handling and starting to be curious of his environment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Gabrielle Kelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
First thing do not listen to the Petsmart people they will give you bad advice -----
Mushu is going to go thru relocation stress meaning his appetite will not be as strong once hes settled in he will start to eat but you must have the proper lighting in that tank -- he should not quit eating all together if he does there is a problem -- however the "kit" you got w/ Mushu has stuff in there that should not be used -- for one the UVB you got is a coil correct? If it is a coil your going to need to replace it w/ a good UVB - the one you have is inadequate and will eventually cause all kinds of health issues meaning your now gonna haft to go spend more money on getting the correct husbandry to keep him healthy -- freeze dried meal worms are terrible they are horribly dry and no nutritional value--- your dragon needs live insects like your feeding the dubias are a great staple feeder dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week----- salads (greens) every day first thing in the morning w/ 1-3 small super worms if they have them --if not you can get them from here www.https://reptilesupply.com/
Here is a website for nutrition-
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Next you can use these to lure your baby to a glass bowl so the worms and insects cant get out BSFL they are a great staple as well you dont need to dust them and feed as many as you want ---
https://symtonbsf.com/ they have a great glass bowl I use---- its the large one its like $16 I think they are a good bowl for the salads and worms -- put the worms on top of the salads and let him see your do this it will draw him to the bowl ---
Next how are you taking temps? If you have only the stick ons they are totally inaccurate they only give you ambient temps and not true basking temps - you need to go to Petsmart or Petco and get a digital probe thermometer -- $5 -- then get a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for $10-12 -- believe me you will use it ---- you need ACTUAL BASKING temps of where he is sitting to bask of 105-110 -- your baby will not eat w/ out proper heat and proper UVB -- THEY ARE A MUST FOR A HEALTHY DRAGON --- next the UVB which is MOST important --
You need to get a fixture a 24" I recommend -- is your tank the 40 gallon? Get a fixture w/ a reflector -- you can look here for fixtures they have a generic fixture that they are supposed to have back in stock on Monday for $32 --- it will work they have them in 24" -- you need to get a bulb this one a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- here is the website www.pangeareptiles.com -- these people are good and fast ---
DO NOT USE COLORED BULBS they distrupt there sleep and can cause long term eye damage -- coil UVB do the same OR SAND --------------- IT CAUSES IMPACTION - you can use paper towels or newspaper for now - NO loose substrate --- babies lick everything -- no sand mats the rocks come off and babies will eat them then you have impaction --
If you have questions please ask I will help you
The bulb i have isn’t a coil, it’s a cone/round shape. I am trying to start a dubai roach colony so i don’t need to keep buying them (any help with that?). I also have “Thrive dried omnivore mix” which i am supposed to add water to, are meal worms ok for baby beardies(i know i need to cut off the head and slice it up since they are too big for him)? I have a feeding dish, but my roaches are able to escape from it but mushu is having a hard time getting out of it. I have a sticky humidity/temp measurer but i do also have a thermometer gun. My tank is a 10 gallon rn but when mushu gets bigger i will get a 40 gallon (mushu is only about a month old). I’m going to get a heat mat soon for his tank and a hammock because the light isn’t doing enough and my heat rock is broken and gets hot enough to burn him. and mushus tank bottom is a carpet that came in the kit, i did have moss in his tank but someone said that since he is so little he might suffocate in it.

Gabrielle Kelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
First off that 10 gallon tank is too small - right at this moment he is fine but in a couple of months like around 3-4 hes gonna be too big - so I would look at getting as big as of a tank you can afford - full size adult dragons that is a year or a little older require a 75-120 gallon tank or a 4x2x2 --- I would start looking for a tank now - one w/ front doors - you can look on FB marketplace or craigslist - if you get on from those places you need to make sure its sanitized really good -- next the cone UVB I have not a clue at to what your talking about but I am assuming its a coil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad news - w/ a 10 gallon tank it is fine anything bigger forget it - coils are bad they do not illuminate the UVB in bigger tanks thus your dragon is getting none --- you need to invest in a UVB fixture you can get one from here www.pangeareptiles.com for $32 get the 24" fixture its under fixtures its a T5 - that fixture will go right into your new tank --- next you need to get the bulb it will be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb they are the best on the market - you will need to replace in year --- next DO NOT GET A HEAT ROCK OR A HEAT MAT - they are not good - too many tummys getting burned -- ditch the thrive omnivore mix that should be used for when he is sick and not eating ---
You need live insects crickets dubia roaches BSFL for a staple feeder nothing out of a can package or frozen --------------- fresh greens mustard collard kale turnip squash etc every morning - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html- it will tell what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed -- rinse your salad before serving and top w/ these to get him to the glass bowl that they cannot get out of small super worms and dubia roaches from here www.reptilesplus.com they are out of butter worms at this time but you can get those as well 1-3 supers on top --- NO MEAL WORMS they are too hard on babies stomachs -- next some BSFL they can be ordered from here www.symtonbsf.com - they are small order large another great staple feeder they do not need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 --- calcium enriched - I cannot stress the importance enough of the calcium and UVB in the past couple of weeks I have seen more sick dragons almost dead from not having the proper lighting UVB and basking temps mainly UVB it has been awful -- symtonbsf has a white glass dish a large one its like $16 I got for my dragons the smaller and medium roaches cant get out of it - glad to hear you are doing dubias they are way better feeder than crickets -- No Moss glad you got rid of it - when you get to a bigger tank I can give you ideas of what to use for another substrate thats easy to keep clean -- its going to take a long time to get a colony going - you can look here www.dubiaroaches.com to getting a colony going - www.abdragons.com also has colonys you can purchase from as well -- the basking bulb what wattage are you using in that little tank a 50 watt ? You want his basking temps of 105-110 of where he sits -- use your temp gun for that -- temps at nite should be no lower than 65 if its there or above your good ---
I’m currently looking for 40 gallons or bigger on free cycle,fb market, craigslist, next door, and more. Also sorry for the confusion i have a spotlight light for Mushu and I will be getting a UVB soon as well as a better UVA lightbulb because the one I have isn’t working well enough because the basking area will me 80 and the eating area will me 75, it might also be the tank size. I replaced the omnivore mix with some red lettuce and dubia roaches, he still hasn’t eaten at least i don’t think and i’m starting to get worried, i will try to not handle him a lot so he’s a little more relaxed. I will get some crickets for mushu as well. I got a new food dish, it’s glass, round, and has a tall lip, but not too tall that mushu can’t get out, i have to be careful with where i put my lettuce so the roaches can’t escape. I won’t feed him meal worms i can’t just give them to my sisters eastern box turtle. I have calcium power for Mushu but i don’t have vitamins. I will get UVB. Yes it’s a 50 watt, but i can’t seem to get the temps high enough.

Gabrielle Kelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will make sure to get both a upgraded UVA and a UVB light soon. I am starting to feed him escarole and chicory. He’s ate lots of food today, 7 roaches in all 3 in the morning and 4 just a few minutes ago, he had lots to salad too, all with calcium and vitamin d on it. I need to get vitamin A stuff. The websites were helpful thank you. Also is a 45 gallon tank for 25 dollars a good deal? the tank has a slight crack on one side but it looks good other wise.
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/485552145716398/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=gallon tank