• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The dubia struggle bus

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So, I know there is at least one other Floridian here...

Apparently dubias are illegal in Florida. No one sells them, Amazon won't ship them, I'm sure ebay won't either. What other options am I left with? Are discoids roaches Ok? Any idea how I can get some dubias?

I'm so over the cricket thing... Help me out guys!

Another thing, I went to my grocery story tonight to get this little guy some greens. Collards I could fine, got him some squash, and carrots too. But where canI find the other greens.

Dandelions, mustard, etc?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep you can not have dubia there in FL as they are not native so no one will ship to FL.. Discoid roaches are VERY similar and just fine, you might be able to get red head roaches but I'm not sure on that one.

Your going to have to look around for the greens, it's the same thing here in WI not every store carries all of the greens I have to go to like 3-4 stores to get greens sometimes.. So what I do is 1 week it's collards and another green the next week I do collards and yet another green and so on....

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep you can not have dubia there in FL as they are not native so no one will ship to FL.. Discoid roaches are VERY similar and just fine, you might be able to get red head roaches but I'm not sure on that one.

Your going to have to look around for the greens, it's the same thing here in WI not every store carries all of the greens I have to go to like 3-4 stores to get greens sometimes.. So what I do is 1 week it's collards and another green the next week I do collards and yet another green and so on....
Well for now I've found discoid, but wasn't sure if they were any good. I'll look into the red heads. It's a shame none of our staple chain stores carry these bugs. You really have to dig deep for them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well for now I've found discoid, but wasn't sure if they were any good. I'll look into the red heads. It's a shame none of our staple chain stores carry these bugs. You really have to dig deep for them.

Red Heads are crazy fast, I don't know much about them but discoids are just like dubia

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm well I just ordered 200 discoids. Let's see how that goes. How many should I feed him. I know crickets go for about 25 a setting, but what about roaches. Are black soldier fly larva a good staple worm? The feed store says yes, but at this point I like several opinions lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm well I just ordered 200 discoids. Let's see how that goes. How many should I feed him. I know crickets go for about 25 a setting, but what about roaches. Are black soldier fly larva a good staple worm? The feed store says yes, but at this point I like several opinions lol

It's said that for every 1 gut loaded roach = 5-6 crickets.. They are way more nutritious in all ways, and they hold what you feed them in their guts for 72 hours making them great feeders to gutload..
Yes BSFL aka: phoenix worms, calciworms are great staple bug just know that you don't need to use extra calcium the days you feed them.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's said that for every 1 gut loaded roach = 5-6 crickets.. They are way more nutritious in all ways, and they hold what you feed them in their guts for 72 hours making them great feeders to gutload..
Yes BSFL aka: phoenix worms, calciworms are great staple bug just know that you don't need to use extra calcium the days you feed them.
But roaches yes, correct?

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry, I what I meant to say is that I do have to dust the roaches like crickets right?

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
So, I know there is at least one other Floridian here...

Apparently dubias are illegal in Florida. No one sells them, Amazon won't ship them, I'm sure ebay won't either. What other options am I left with? Are discoids roaches Ok? Any idea how I can get some dubias?

I'm so over the cricket thing... Help me out guys!

Another thing, I went to my grocery story tonight to get this little guy some greens. Collards I could fine, got him some squash, and carrots too. But where canI find the other greens.

Dandelions, mustard, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
I am like you with only finding collard greens at the store (Kroger) but other varieties hard to find. I made a list of stores in my area and wrote down phone numbers and call each week to see if they have a certain green that I want that week. If not I go down my list. Sometimes it’s a headache but at least not driving around ! Meijers is so far the only one that sells variety of greens!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am like you with only finding collard greens at the store (Kroger) but other varieties hard to find. I made a list of stores in my area and wrote down phone numbers and call each week to see if they have a certain green that I want that week. If not I go down my list. Sometimes it’s a headache but at least not driving around ! Meijers is so far the only one that sells variety of greens!

I'm going to have to do that too! I didn't think it would be so difficult. Clearly I don't eat greens! [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
I live in Florida, and I cannot order ANY type of roach. No one will ship them, no matter the kind. I'm looking into silk worms.
And I struggle to get a good variety of greens as well. Collars are easy and always available, my publix just not started getting dandelion greens, and I have to wait till holiday season for the mustard greens to come in.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I live in Florida, and I cannot order ANY type of roach. No one will ship them, no matter the kind. I'm looking into silk worms.
And I struggle to get a good variety of greens as well. Collars are easy and always available, my publix just not started getting dandelion greens, and I have to wait till holiday season for the mustard greens to come in.

I'm in Florida too! My friends told me to try Wal-Mart for the odd greens. Also try looking into Joe's bugs. He sells discord roaches and are very good price. I just placed an order on Monday! I'm so over crickets and I've only had my dragon a week on Saturday [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk