• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank cleaning question [emoji90]

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
What do you use to clean up the poop? I got my boy with sand a week ago today and just switched him to shelf liner and some tile yesterday. Hes had some loose poop since we got him (it was getting better then I upped and changed his house on him yesterday because the sand was making me to nervous to keep it any longer so its a little looser again) and it stinks to high heaven after he goes.

I'm wondering if I can use some vinegar in a spray bottle to wipe the area down? Or is there another better option?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have reptile carpet and to clean I use just a touch of what ever dish soap i have and hot water with a little tiny bit of bleach takes the smell right out and i let it air dry and it doesnt smell at all. I always smell it to make sure it doesnt smell too strong for my beardie.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
The grey felt I bought at Walmart cost me under $3 and made 3 cage liners.

Toss them in the washing machine.

While he’s in the bathtub I clean his cage with windex.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I dont recommend using any kind of household detergents, beardies have quite sensitive respitory systems(plus a tendency to lick everything). For spot cleaning just use hot water with a little vinegar or baby bottle sterilizing fluid. For a full clean I use a steam cleaner, %100 dry steam, no additives at all. I realize not eveyone has a steam cleaner, but they are great if you ever stumble upon a cheap one. For those without, im afraid its hot water and elbow grease.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
just think though, all that fluid from his poops had been soaking into the sand...the bacteria must have been building up. I think you did the right thing changing.

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
just think though, all that fluid from his poops had been soaking into the sand...the bacteria must have been building up. I think you did the right thing changing.
Yes, the smell was quite strong when you got by his tank. Its much better now that I can clean it all after he goes. And seeing sand pieces on his food as he ate was making me so nervous. I felt bad switching it up on him before he was really settled in but I'm much happier and he seemed to have taken to it ok.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use cleaner from beardeddragons.co (no m in com) it's reptile safe and is a concentrate..I also get all my supplements from there as well. If you haven't yet make an appt with a exotic vet and get him checked along with a poop sample. If his poop is that bad parasites will cause the horrid smell. They have a normal level of parasites in their gut and stress can cause the numbers to get out of control making him not feel well..Also adding in some powder probiotics (kids non sugar/additives) cultural will help level out his gut flora

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Vinegar and water is good. I used to keep in in a spray bottle next to the tank. There is something called Wipe Out at the pet store, and I found that it helps with real stinky poop, just make sure your dragon isn't in the tank when you use it. I also use something from bearded dragon.co called Super Clean. Its an every day natural cleaner. I also have a stronger cleaner that is ammonia based that I got from them too.

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
Vinegar and water is good. I used to keep in in a spray bottle next to the tank. There is something called Wipe Out at the pet store, and I found that it helps with real stinky poop, just make sure your dragon isn't in the tank when you use it. I also use something from bearded dragon.co called Super Clean. Its an every day natural cleaner. I also have a stronger cleaner that is ammonia based that I got from them too.
Awesome thanks. I use vinegar to clean my floors and most other things as it is because I have a dog with sensitive skin so I try to avoid harsh chemicals in my house in general so I have a spray bottle of vinegar handy already.
Thank you thank you everyone. We had a great day with him yesterday and I feel like we are finally making real progress on getting to know each other and him feeling more comfortable with us and its making me so happy!

jeb

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What do you use to clean up the poop? I got my boy with sand a week ago today and just switched him to shelf liner and some tile yesterday. Hes had some loose poop since we got him (it was getting better then I upped and changed his house on him yesterday because the sand was making me to nervous to keep it any longer so its a little looser again) and it stinks to high heaven after he goes.

I'm wondering if I can use some vinegar in a spray bottle to wipe the area down? Or is there another better option?

Chlorohexidine is your best option. It’s what doctors use to sanitize their hands before surgery. It will kill everything, it doesn’t have a harsh smell, and it’s safe if ingested. You can find it on amazon :)

Miss Olivia

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought a roll of shelf liner that looks a bit like sand and I can just use a paper towel to scoop up the mess, then I can just take the liner and wash it off in the sink. It's lasted over a year. I tried the felt, but it was too much trouble. this is much more sanitary.

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon

Hey there! I have paper towels at one end of my tank and mine always goes down to that end to go! When I clean his tank up I use peroxide and paper towels!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Chlorohexidine is your best option. It’s what doctors use to sanitize their hands before surgery. It will kill everything, it doesn’t have a harsh smell, and it’s safe if ingested. You can find it on amazon :)

Chlorhexidine doesn't kill everything. It doesn't kill coccidia or some other parasites. It is a great all around product for cleaning tanks and an antiseptic for your dragons. I use it to clean my dragon's mouth.

LavishLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have always used mouthwash. Get a spray bottle and mix half mouthwash and half water. Disinfects and smells nice. Used this since we adopted our first dragon, and he is almost over 2 years old. I also applaud you that you're not using loose substrate. Your a good dragon hooman.

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
I have always used mouthwash. Get a spray bottle and mix half mouthwash and half water. Disinfects and smells nice. Used this since we adopted our first dragon, and he is almost over 2 years old. I also applaud you that you're not using loose substrate. Your a good dragon hooman.
Thanks! I'm doing my best. I had started to slowly research them because my plan was to get a dragon once my 3 torts were old/big enough to go outside but a neighbor wanted to find a home for this guy who could give him more attention and she was selling tank, lights and all And I couldn't pass it up. I had learned about feeding them mainly but I did find lots of info on no loose substrate so when I got him on sand I was just paranoid. I think they keep all their beardie on sand (they have a few others) but it was just so in my head I couldn't relax so I had to change it. I was trying to let him settle in first but 1 week was all I could handle. My boys and I already adore him and they love to hear any info I learn. My oldest seems to like chamelions now so I imagine on of those in our future but the torts opened their eyes to more than dogs and now they are loving the lizard life too. So once I feel like I jave a good grip on basic dragon care I'll start working on learning about chamelions haha. I was caught off guard when we got our torts and had to scramble go learn and I found so much incorrect info first and the poor things paid the price (nothing major but I still feel bad) so I'm trying to learn everything for my little Jagger now amd whatever pet my human boys may want next lol. We cant have more than 1 dog because our pit bull type dog isnt a fan so we have found reptiles and aren't turning back!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks! I'm doing my best. I had started to slowly research them because my plan was to get a dragon once my 3 torts were old/big enough to go outside but a neighbor wanted to find a home for this guy who could give him more attention and she was selling tank, lights and all And I couldn't pass it up. I had learned about feeding them mainly but I did find lots of info on no loose substrate so when I got him on sand I was just paranoid. I think they keep all their beardie on sand (they have a few others) but it was just so in my head I couldn't relax so I had to change it. I was trying to let him settle in first but 1 week was all I could handle. My boys and I already adore him and they love to hear any info I learn. My oldest seems to like chamelions now so I imagine on of those in our future but the torts opened their eyes to more than dogs and now they are loving the lizard life too. So once I feel like I jave a good grip on basic dragon care I'll start working on learning about chamelions haha. I was caught off guard when we got our torts and had to scramble go learn and I found so much incorrect info first and the poor things paid the price (nothing major but I still feel bad) so I'm trying to learn everything for my little Jagger now amd whatever pet my human boys may want next lol. We cant have more than 1 dog because our pit bull type dog isnt a fan so we have found reptiles and aren't turning back!

Just a tip on chameleons. I have a veiled and they are notorious for being aholes! They are a more look but don't touch me kinda pet. We read up on them for years before we decided to bite the bullet and get one. He is pretty awesome but we do everything on his terms! Sometimes he will let us hold him, it's mostly when he knows we are moving him to his free range.

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
Just a tip on chameleons. I have a veiled and they are notorious for being aholes! They are a more look but don't touch me kinda pet. We read up on them for years before we decided to bite the bullet and get one. He is pretty awesome but we do everything on his terms! Sometimes he will let us hold him, it's mostly when he knows we are moving him to his free range.
Thank you!
The only experience I have with them was when I was working at petco (I'm a groomer) and the one there was mean too. I had some nice caring coworkers who really tried to spend time with the animals in the evening when things calmed down. So I never knew if it was a typical petco issue or just how they were. Maybe I'll just try and get him to get another beardie or gecko or something lol. We already have tortoises who are more a look don't touch pet.

LavishLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Chameleons are also much more complicated to care for. The pet stores tell you that beardies are beginner pets. I don't think that they are at all. If you want a happy and healthy beardie, it takes more than what most stores will tell you. Chameleons need very specific care. Just make sure you are really ready for the commitment!

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
Chameleons are also much more complicated to care for. The pet stores tell you that beardies are beginner pets. I don't think that they are at all. If you want a happy and healthy beardie, it takes more than what most stores will tell you. Chameleons need very specific care. Just make sure you are really ready for the commitment!
Thank you for that! Ya I'm done with the sudden getting a pet without researching first lol so I'll be looking into all the options well BEFORE getting another reptile. I'm one of those ocd types about caring for animals the best I possibly can so I research like crazy and anytime they even blink wrong I'm checking to see if there's something I need to fix in my care lol. I'm outside with my torts for their morning sun time and I'm just scanning the tortoise forum for any new info I can learn on them too. I feel like Im at a pretty decent place on their care so most the time I'm looking up beardie info. To me theres no easy beginning pet. I complicate care for any animal I own because I want to do the best I can for them. Even if it means buying icky nasty roaches which creep me out lol but they are good for them so I must suck it up haha