• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank always stinks despite cleaning and is 5 months too young for Brumation

Capron Family

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello All! What a wonderful forum. I am learning a l lot! We have a 6 month old Beardie in a 10 gallon "THRIVE" set up from petsmart. When we got George he was only about 4" long (back in October 2019) and He's about 6-7" currently. 2" of growth in 4 months time seems kind of slow but we are first timers so I am unsure. I'm sure there is plenty we are doing wrong in spite of our efforts not too. Anyway, His entire tank gets cleaned weekly with either dawn or Palmolive dish soap and water. All his carpet and accessories as well. This tank always smells! After a day or so its back to smelling. Do you think that the tank is too small creating the smell? Dead food, poops, etc. are picked up daily. I KNOW he cant stay in this tank forever and I'm about to get him a larger enclosure because I'm over this tank.
Also, we are noticing that he has been really what seemed to me, lazy, the last few weeks but Im wondering if he is going through pre-brumation? He usually sleeps during the day and then i active as hell at night and NEVER goes in his hide but hes always in his hide now. Hes eating but less and his poops seem normal. His water dish is always empty so I'm trying to determine if its evaporating or hes drinking it. What do you guys think?

Capron Family

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much! We will work on implementing your suggestions but I just want to clarify that we have a 40 or 50 W infrared basking light. (Red light).