• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taming your BD

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

I'm sure most of you have read about Pogie and how she came to me, but I would like to ask a stupid question.

Is there an easy way to tame her?

She wont come to my hand. Jumps off if I pick her up. Doesnt hiss anymore (One thing good at least)

I read a reply from Li (If i remember correctly, if not sorry, but I did read it somewhere here) that she used to go sit in the bathroom with hers to get them to get used to her. I am definately going to try that one, IF I can get her out of the viv.

Are there any other tips or tricks I could try?

I sooooooooooo much want to cuddle like everyone else, I read all these posts of members cuddling and BD's sitting with you and all, I want that too.

Or am I just too impatient?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:'(

And that is probably my worst persnality trait . . . Patience.
When I want something, I want it NOW.

Its been 2 months and a few days since I got her, How much longer.....

But also suppose the no hissing, biting thing is a positive sign. She will let me put her on my hand (But shes getting too big to fit all on my hand) but as soon as I get hold of her back legs and move my hand, she bolts off....

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Look at it this way... you'll be getting plenty of practice.....
yes, those are mile stones.. keep at it.. slowly..

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just keep at it!! I think some of them are just wired that way too. Rainbow is not always the most welcoming kind of guy and the least favorite of my guys to my family and friends. He looks grumpy all the time too. But when he wants to snuggle he wants me to hold him all day long.

Also I think as he gets older he will be less skittish and you'll be able to hold him alot more!!!

I am an impatient sort too!! It's hard for me to wait and just let things happen!!! ;)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx,

Pgie fortunately doesnt look grumpy.... And if I stroke her head she will close her eyes and lower her head. So yes progress is made. And patience will have to be learned (By me).

Hope she is the cuddly type. I sooooo would love that, and shes still young, so maybe after shes grown up, I will be able to take her everywhere too (Like my one friend)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not all come around.. Orion still dashes away from me, regardless of how much I handle, coax and pay attention to him.. I know now, that's just the way he is..

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, I only have 1 BD. And dont want another as I will not be able to give all equal attention. Shes my baby, and with fingers/toes and everything else crossed. She may come around still. Guess I'll keep hoping till she gets to be 18 months, and by then I should know.

Gosh... 11 months to go. Really gonna take lotsa patience and maybe a few packs/boxes/crates of calmettes too. LOL

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are times that some just don't ever warm up, but that isn't the norm. Yes it was from me who posted that. There is another way of accomplishing the same thing if you want to stay in the same room that his tank is in because you are afraid to move him too far. You can get a bunch of pillows and make a circle our of them. They have to be high enough so that he can't climb them, or at least will struggle which gives you time to catch him. That could also work.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx, Yeah, I can take the couch cussions. Theyre about 50cm x 40cm and very sturdy... Could build a kind of Wall with them.

It could work

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I always like to talk around with my girls on my shoulder. Its quality bonding time :p. Eventually Leela will want to get off and run around, but Lyra will sit on my shoulder for hours. maybe try that?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will do, the only trick will be is to keep her on my shoulder. Shes quite the jumper. And she hates her leash... But will have to wear it, for her own safety, and My peace of mind. LOL

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
When Yoyo was younger, I would use the pillow trick. I'd stack them up on my bed and lay there as he ran around. He was quick to be a cuddle bug.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Havent had time for the pillow trick, but think I may have found another problem regarding how I was handling her.

I am scared to take hold of her. (Not squeeze her to death, but just to get a firm grip of her) Just now I tried to pick her up and she squirmed and scratched like crazy, but I had her belly on the palm of my hand with her arms over my forefinger and I got a grip on the base of her tail and just kept saying softly "no no dont squirm, calm down" after a few seconds she stopped squirming. I then held her a few seconds longer and praised her and then opened my fingers, let go of her tail and just let her walk off my hand. ;D

Thinking I was scared to keep my grip on her, because as soon as she used to start squirming I would let go and she would run off into the viv.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup...when you hold her if her legs aren't secured along with her body she might feel insecure. Now that you know what makes her more secure it might get easier for you.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yea, the way you describe her squirming it sounds like her legs arent being supported when you pick her up. I always pick my girls up from the front, supporting first the front two legs then the back two. if they don't feel secure they will squirm

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I am trying, but my hand is just so big. She has grown so much, used to fit on my palm sideways, now just her belly fits. I have to let her arms hang over my forefinger and hold her back legs and tail with my other hand. Its when I try to get the hind legs supported that she squirms..

Also she wont let me pick her up from the front. Weird as almost everyone says to do it that way ????

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Orion, Gemini and Yardley... L. Annebelle couldn't care less.. as long as she gets to perch on your head.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cute, must be a sight to see.

Pogie just willingly gets onto my hand if she wants out of the tub. LOL, then she scampers to my shoulder and I have a hell of a time trying to keep her from jumping off