• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taming tips?

lol

Hatchling Dragon
I've got a new bearded dragon (8 months old). It's been a week since I got him and he isn't getting angry or anything but when held he tries running away. Any tips to calm them down or like to make them enjoy being held?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a new bearded dragon (8 months old). It's been a week since I got him and he isn't getting angry or anything but when held he tries running away. Any tips to calm them down or like to make them enjoy being held?
It sound like hes going thru relocation stress and some anxiety which is to be expected - is he sporting stress marks on the stomach etc-- I would not try and hold him now - he needs time to adjust and acclimate to the tank and new surroundings - please get a piece of clothing or fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it - place in his hide - he is going to need to learn to trust you -- patience is key here - was he hand tamed? Get some super worms and some horn worms and had feed them to him --start w/ petting in the tank and holding in the tank for like 5 min or so -- eventually when petting his head he will close his eyes -- that is a sign of trust -- when picking him up make sure his back legs are supported so he doesnt tail fling --

lol

Hatchling Dragon
It sound like hes going thru relocation stress and some anxiety which is to be expected - is he sporting stress marks on the stomach etc-- I would not try and hold him now - he needs time to adjust and acclimate to the tank and new surroundings - please get a piece of clothing or fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it - place in his hide - he is going to need to learn to trust you -- patience is key here - was he hand tamed? Get some super worms and some horn worms and had feed them to him --start w/ petting in the tank and holding in the tank for like 5 min or so -- eventually when petting his head he will close his eyes -- that is a sign of trust -- when picking him up make sure his back legs are supported so he doesnt tail fling --
No stress marks anywhere when held. He has been held in the past but not extensively.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No stress marks anywhere when held. He has been held in the past but not extensively.
Ok so please work w/ him and let him adjust to the tank -- patience and learning to trust here --