• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking, and outings

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys!
Haven't posted in what feels like weeks! I wanted to know what was your raining process like. Rami has been giving me hell lately. Trying to take him out of the tank has turned into a game of cat and mouse some days. I don't let him have his way, he puffs up, throws is beard out, opens his mouth but I still snatch him up and cuddle him.

Once he is out he's usually fine. But the minute I sit on my bed ( across from his tank) he darts away from me as fast as he can! I know with birds it was always recommended to play with them in a room where their cage isn't there (a new bird of course) is it the same for dragons?

When he's pealing should I leave him alone, I read somewhere here that it's the equivalent to our sunburn and it may even hurt him?

Also how old was your dragon when you started taking him out in public?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bluedragonark

Hatchling Dragon
When we got our dragon he was already 5 months old. Hated being picked up and puffed up every time I opened his tank to give him some food. Now, we got on a pretty good schedule of taking him out and feeding him dubia’s by hand. He’s a little more calmer now and is rewarded with treats. Hopefully we will be able to take him out without messing with the roaches all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When we got our dragon he was already 5 months old. Hated being picked up and puffed up every time I opened his tank to give him some food. Now, we got on a pretty good schedule of taking him out and feeding him dubia’s by hand. He’s a little more calmer now and is rewarded with treats. Hopefully we will be able to take him out without messing with the roaches all the time.

Yeah we have started to hand feed him too. Thank God his roaches are not big enough to be super gross for me.

bluedragonark

Hatchling Dragon
Taming****

Exactly [emoji23] I also have a 5 year old who likes to help but sometimes moves a little too fast and it scares him but we are working together [emoji4]

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't peel the shed skin, you could damage his scales. When you reach into his tank, you need to make sure that you aren not reaching over his head. He will think you are a predator and trying to eat him. Also, don't make fast movements towards him to pick him up. Move slow and don't get scared if he opens his mouth at you. As far as playing with him, you don't need to take him to a room where his tank isn't. Just make sure he can't get lost in anything in the room he's playing in. In my house, the bedroom is off limits because they can get stuck under the furniture. The kitchen is off limits too because they could get under the appliances.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't peel the shed skin, you could damage his scales. When you reach into his tank, you need to make sure that you aren not reaching over his head. He will think you are a predator and trying to eat him. Also, don't make fast movements towards him to pick him up. Move slow and don't get scared if he opens his mouth at you. As far as playing with him, you don't need to take him to a room where his tank isn't. Just make sure he can't get lost in anything in the room he's playing in. In my house, the bedroom is off limits because they can get stuck under the furniture. The kitchen is off limits too because they could get under the appliances.
No, I don't mess with his peeling skin, I read not to. As for taking him out I always talk to him make sure he sees what I'm doing. He is fine until I actually have him in my hand that's when he was to freak out and run all over his tank. I don't let his bluffs phase me. I figure he's not going to bite, and if he does I don't think it'll hurt much at this age.

Funny story. I had him on my shoulder, with a tank top on. He saw one of my beautu marks and started to pick at it with his tongue as if it were a bug. Well he eventually got frustrated and just bit me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] it was the funniest thing.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That’s so funny! Luci used to try to eat the white specks in the sidewalk when I would let him out. They are so goofy!