• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail Rot??

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys, I got Bayne a week ago and he seems to have something going on with the tip of his tail. Worried it may be tail rot.
IMG_20160208_161843.jpg
IMG_20160208_161852.jpg
IMG_20160208_161853.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It does look like part of it is a stuck shed, some looks like it got stuck under something. Have you given him/her a nice warm soak to see if any loosens up. If it's tail rot only a reptile vet can diagnose that and get the right meds on board. Hopefully some others will chime in on their thoughts but keep a vet in mind.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, tried a warm soak today and nothing loosened. It was like this when I got him. Think I'm going to make a vet appointment tomorrow just to be safe.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, tried a warm soak today and nothing loosened. It was like this when I got him. Think I'm going to make a vet appointment tomorrow just to be safe.
I like that Idea as if it is it will spread. My Izzy had the tip of her tail stuck in something before I got her and it was at a 90 degree it finally died and fell off so she's 1/2" shorter than she should be.. so it happens but that narrow part then thick then narrow again that just looks off to me.. please keep us posted! Make sure it's a vet that knows reptiles

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
In the meantime, before you can get him to the vet, soak the tail with betadine diluted with water until it looks like a weak tea that will help clean it. You could put some neosporin without pain reliever or you can get something called silver solution by Curad.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
In the meantime, before you can get him to the vet, soak the tail with betadine diluted with water until it looks like a weak tea that will help clean it. You could put some neosporin without pain reliever or you can get something called silver solution by Curad.
Okay, thank you!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I will. I'm about to head into town to pick up some betadine and silver solution. After I soak the tail, do I put the silver solution on or do I wait until night time? I've read that some soak the tail and use olive oil, but to wait until night because the basking bulb can heat up the olive oil. I'm going to use the silver solution, not olive oil, but I was wondering if the same thing applied. Also, I live in Wisconsin and the nearest reptile vet is 45 minutes away. Will Bayne be okay if I put him into a carrier with blankets/towels and heat up the car prior to taking him out to it? I'm still new to all things Bearded and don't want to get him sick.
Another thing, I gave him a warm bath yesterday to try and help his tail (I believe it was the first bath he's ever had) and now he's shedding. Back legs, head, eye..Is it still safe to medicate the tail?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will. I'm about to head into town to pick up some betadine and silver solution. After I soak the tail, do I put the silver solution on or do I wait until night time? I've read that some soak the tail and use olive oil, but to wait until night because the basking bulb can heat up the olive oil. I'm going to use the silver solution, not olive oil, but I was wondering if the same thing applied. Also, I live in Wisconsin and the nearest reptile vet is 45 minutes away. Will Bayne be okay if I put him into a carrier with blankets/towels and heat up the car prior to taking him out to it? I'm still new to all things Bearded and don't want to get him sick.
Another thing, I gave him a warm bath yesterday to try and help his tail (I believe it was the first bath he's ever had) and now he's shedding. Back legs, head, eye..Is it still safe to medicate the tail?

I'm not sure on the time to use the silver solution so hopefully Patsyb will chime in soon on that one. I think it would be at night after the lights out and after the soak.
what I would do is go get a few of those hot hands heat packs and put them under the blanket/towels (just make sure he doesn't lay right up next to them) and then heat up the car and kinda wrap him up abit more in the carrier..
:) I'm also in Wisconsin :) small world

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would do it at night when lights go out. When you take him to the vet, make sure the car is heated up good and get some hand warmers, they have 18+hour ones that work good. Put it between the blankets so he doesn't get burned. You can also put him in a small pet carrier with the blankets.

Most of my family live I WI :)

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, awesome! I know exactly what you're talking about thanks to the guys in my family being hunters. Thanks so much for the help, you guys are awesome!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, awesome! I know exactly what you're talking about thanks to the guys in my family being hunters. Thanks so much for the help, you guys are awesome!
:) Your welcome I know I have a bunch of the different sized ones on hand for hunting too, Not sure where in WI you are but I'm up in the Waupaca area and it is cold for sure. Just get that car nice and toasty beforehand, I would throw a towel over the carrier for the trip from the house to the car and from the car into the vet, especially if your going this week as it's going to be very cold..

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hey PatsyB. As a Podiatrist I am only throwing this in here because wound care is one of my areas of expertise. I am not trying to buck you in ANY WAY. We always used a 4:1 solution of Betadine meaning four parts water to one part Betadine. If you use one tablespoon of Betadine then you would use four tablespoons of water. I often would just use 5:1 as it was just as effective but I do not know how this translates to reptilian care. I do not believe they sell anything OTC (over the counter. Without needing a script) except the solution as other forms of Betadine may be more concentrated. In addition, save yourself some money and buy the generic which is EXACTLY the same and will save you some money. It will be named Povidone Iodine 10% solution. And you don't need to use all that much. The bottle can go a long way. Remember, you only need to soak the affected part of the tail that you are concerned about.

My only concern is that one of the properties of Betatdine is that it acts like an astringent. To put it simply, it can act like a drying agent. So I'm not quite sure if that is the best thing for tail rot but again, I'm coming from a different perspective. If anything, I would try to keep things clean and a bit moist. Betadine will just dry out the area more. I like using the ointment.

But heavens. DO NOT LISTEN TO ME as you want the best care for the little one so I agree with you to get to the vet!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hey PatsyB. As a Podiatrist I am only throwing this in here because wound care is one of my areas of expertise. I am not trying to buck you in ANY WAY. We always used a 4:1 solution of Betadine meaning four parts water to one part Betadine. If you use one tablespoon of Betadine then you would use four tablespoons of water. I often would just use 5:1 as it was just as effective but I do not know how this translates to reptilian care. I do not believe they sell anything OTC (over the counter. Without needing a script) except the solution as other forms of Betadine may be more concentrated. In addition, save yourself some money and buy the generic which is EXACTLY the same and will save you some money. It will be named Povidone Iodine 10% solution. And you don't need to use all that much. The bottle can go a long way. Remember, you only need to soak the affected part of the tail that you are concerned about.

My only concern is that one of the properties of Betatdine is that it acts like an astringent. To put it simply, it can act like a drying agent. So I'm not quite sure if that is the best thing for tail rot but again, I'm coming from a different perspective. If anything, I would try to keep things clean and a bit moist. Betadine will just dry out the area more. I like using the ointment.

But heavens. DO NOT LISTEN TO ME as you want the best care for the little one so I agree with you to get to the vet!

You are right on! Don't put yourself down :) You are a doctor and have experience with certain medications that do carry over into the reptile world. I always say Betadine but hope that people would see the generic and the huge price difference and do some bottle reading and see the generic is the same exact thing. Especially when you are buying the something to have on hand just in case of emergency and may never use it. The same goes for Neosporin, generic version is just fine.

I didn't realize Betadine has astringent properties. So probably would be best then if using a Betadine soak to clean the area, to also follow up with an ointment like Neosporin or Siver Solution to keep the area moist.

Good catch Lazer!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And this is why I love this forum, we welcome any and all advise from our members as this is how we learn.. After all we are all here so we can help our scaly friends.
Good advise Lazer knowledge is power Thank you!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks guys, I did get the generic. A small bottle of Betadine was $21. Ouch! I also got Curads Silver Solution and have been using that as well. Called the store I got Bayne from because they have a 30 day guarantee... Well, they wanted to take him and take him to their own vet. Nope, that's okay. Bayne and I will be making the 45 minute trek up to Verona to their animal hospital. He can't be seen until next week though. Fingers crossed his tail doesn't get worse.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You are right on! Don't put yourself down :) You are a doctor and have experience with certain medications that do carry over into the reptile world. I always say Betadine but hope that people would see the generic and the huge price difference and do some bottle reading and see the generic is the same exact thing. Especially when you are buying the something to have on hand just in case of emergency and may never use it. The same goes for Neosporin, generic version is just fine.

I didn't realize Betadine has astringent properties. So probably would be best then if using a Betadine soak to clean the area, to also follow up with an ointment like Neosporin or Siver Solution to keep the area moist.

Good catch Lazer!

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh boy. Here we go again. Now I am in trouble.

PatsyB. Astringents' will dry up the area and make the area more "brittle" IMO so I'm not sure when you said you never knew it had astringent properties and went on to say to use it. That's why I don't think I'm qualified!