• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail not the same color as the rest

rexaroo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I just got my first beardie a little over a week ago. He was rehomed to me by my neighbors who are moving and can’t bring him. He is six years old and has spent his whole life on sand and without a UV light- they did put his 50 gal by a window at least. He has also apparently been fed mealworms primarily.

I’m trying to get him to start eating veggies, and it doesn’t look like he has any signs of impaction or clogged femoral pores. I also immediately got rid of the sand and switched to a textured mat, and of course added a UV light. He’s still in a 50 gal, but I plan on upgrading that once I can afford to. Broke college student lol.

The only thing that has me super worried at the moment is his tail. I don’t know if it’s just how his coloration is, or if he’s shedding maybe, or if it’s tail rot. I’ve heard tail rot is usually dark, and his tail is light. The tip of it is also bent a little. Does anyone know what’s up with this? Do I need to find a vet?

4BD76E9F-1544-4CE6-874C-BF9D0E920984.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I just got my first beardie a little over a week ago. He was rehomed to me by my neighbors who are moving and can’t bring him. He is six years old and has spent his whole life on sand and without a UV light- they did put his 50 gal by a window at least. He has also apparently been fed mealworms primarily.

I’m trying to get him to start eating veggies, and it doesn’t look like he has any signs of impaction or clogged femoral pores. I also immediately got rid of the sand and switched to a textured mat, and of course added a UV light. He’s still in a 50 gal, but I plan on upgrading that once I can afford to. Broke college student lol.

The only thing that has me super worried at the moment is his tail. I don’t know if it’s just how his coloration is, or if he’s shedding maybe, or if it’s tail rot. I’ve heard tail rot is usually dark, and his tail is light. The tip of it is also bent a little. Does anyone know what’s up with this? Do I need to find a vet?

View attachment 32165
That is sad that he has been w/ out UVB for this long --- I haft to ask what kind of UVB did you get? A coil or a long tube fixture --- this is critical ---- brand and bulb please --- also how are you getting surface basking temps- digital probe thermometer ? a stick on? IR gun?
the window they were using for a UVB wasnt any good - the glass filters out the UVB rays
Your dragons tail is shedding --- him outside in direct sunlight is great - its one of the best UVB's he can get ---

rexaroo

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is sad that he has been w/ out UVB for this long --- I haft to ask what kind of UVB did you get? A coil or a long tube fixture --- this is critical ---- brand and bulb please --- also how are you getting surface basking temps- digital probe thermometer ? a stick on? IR gun?
the window they were using for a UVB wasnt any good - the glass filters out the UVB rays
Your dragons tail is shedding --- him outside in direct sunlight is great - its one of the best UVB's he can get ---
Oh thank goodness, I was so worried it was tail rot. Thank you so much!

Right now I have a reptisun 10 UVB coil fixture. I initially was looking for a linear one, but I was advised by the pet store’s reptile staff to use a coil on the cool side, and I take him outside on sunny days. I’m using an IR gun to measure his basking temp.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh thank goodness, I was so worried it was tail rot. Thank you so much!

Right now I have a reptisun 10 UVB coil fixture. I initially was looking for a linear one, but I was advised by the pet store’s reptile staff to use a coil on the cool side, and I take him outside on sunny days. I’m using an IR gun to measure his basking temp.
As usual bad advice - the coil needs to be replaced w/ a 24" zoo med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb - keep it for a backup- distance and placement is different from the bulb you need- 40 + gallon tank you want a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - coils are a health hazzard and I have seen to many dragon die under these bulbs- getting him outside is a great idea and one of the best uvb's for him- but you need the long tube fixture-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for your cool side one for your basking side place the probe on the spot where he basks- 10 min or so get the temp- you want 95-100 for an adult dragon-- you dont need to leave the probe there spot check temps every 10 days or so- IR guns good but do not read off of certain materials like hammocks- when you get your uvb replaced please post back on here I will help you set it up for your tank they have certain distance and placement depending on your screen
www.pangeareptile.com
www.petmountain.com

rexaroo

Bearded Dragon Egg
As usual bad advice - the coil needs to be replaced w/ a 24" zoo med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb - keep it for a backup- distance and placement is different from the bulb you need- 40 + gallon tank you want a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - coils are a health hazzard and I have seen to many dragon die under these bulbs- getting him outside is a great idea and one of the best uvb's for him- but you need the long tube fixture-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for your cool side one for your basking side place the probe on the spot where he basks- 10 min or so get the temp- you want 95-100 for an adult dragon-- you dont need to leave the probe there spot check temps every 10 days or so- IR guns good but do not read off of certain materials like hammocks- when you get your uvb replaced please post back on here I will help you set it up for your tank they have certain distance and placement depending on your screen
www.pangeareptile.com
www.petmountain.com
Will do! I appreciate it, I’ll be back in touch as soon as I’ve replaced it.