• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen front foot

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, I decided to join since I use this forum for info all the time!
My Nora, female about 9 months to a year, has an EXTREMELY swollen front foot. My vet took X-rays and diagnosed it as septic arthritis and put her on tazicef and metacam. I have done 5 injections of the 7 prescribed and her foot is just getting worse! I called the vet and they said they’d get back to me. I think I’ll be looking for another vet… when I first noticed it I researched and thought gout, so I started fart cherry juice and tart cherry powder. It didn’t make the swelling go down but it wasn’t getting any worse either. But now she’s worse. I feel like the worst lizard mommy but I already spent $400 on the first visit and X-rays… I’ll attach pics of the day I took her in and her today. I am praying she is just getting ready to shed on that foot and not that it’s dying or worse! I need advice!
F1A35791-62C7-4F3B-85DB-08279A68016F.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, I decided to join since I use this forum for info all the time!
My Nora, female about 9 months to a year, has an EXTREMELY swollen front foot. My vet took X-rays and diagnosed it as septic arthritis and put her on tazicef and metacam. I have done 5 injections of the 7 prescribed and her foot is just getting worse! I called the vet and they said they’d get back to me. I think I’ll be looking for another vet… when I first noticed it I researched and thought gout, so I started fart cherry juice and tart cherry powder. It didn’t make the swelling go down but it wasn’t getting any worse either. But now she’s worse. I feel like the worst lizard mommy but I already spent $400 on the first visit and X-rays… I’ll attach pics of the day I took her in and her today. I am praying she is just getting ready to shed on that foot and not that it’s dying or worse! I need advice! View attachment 33270View attachment 33271View attachment 33272
Please go over your uvb and surface basking temps-- do you have a hammock in the tank? If you have the blood work please post it -andthe xrays Tracie the vet tech can look at it- what insect are you feeding?

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
The cool side of the tank stays at 75, her basking spot is 105 her other favorite spot is about 96. I have a zilla desert T8 uvb tube light 15 watt and it is mounted inside the tank so there is nothing to block the rays. I just changed it middle of December. I do have a hammock in the tank. I had another beardie for 10 years in the same tank with all the same set up with no problems ever!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The cool side of the tank stays at 75, her basking spot is 105 her other favorite spot is about 96. I have a zilla desert T8 uvb tube light 15 watt and it is mounted inside the tank so there is nothing to block the rays. I just changed it middle of December. I do have a hammock in the tank. I had another beardie for 10 years in the same tank with all the same set up with no problems ever!
Ok distance for your T 8 should be directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches- it's possible that the nail got caught in in the hammock and he's snagged it- is it a green mesh or a grass one?

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Green mesh, but her toes are fine. It’s the palm of her hand and up her wrist. I’m feeding her salad, Dubia roaches and crickets. Dust with calcium without D3 and I do a multivitamin once a week

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Green mesh, but her toes are fine. It’s the palm of her hand and up her wrist. I’m feeding her salad, Dubia roaches and crickets. Dust with calcium without D3 and I do a multivitamin once a week
Please start dusting w / calcium D3 - -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie she is a vet tech -- the T 8 I would look at upgrading to a T 5 you will need a whole new fixture tho they are better for UVB -- Tracie can help out w/ the meds and looking at results from the vet you had her at -- its just the one foot correct? I was thinking maybe gout as well but the uric acid level would need to be high and that is from blood work being done to diagnose that - please post the results you got from that vet -- just as precautionary I would replace the green mesh w/ a fleece hammock or a cloth one - I have seen to many injuries caused from the green and grass hammocks - www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com
@Drache613

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please start dusting w / calcium D3 - -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie she is a vet tech -- the T 8 I would look at upgrading to a T 5 you will need a whole new fixture tho they are better for UVB -- Tracie can help out w/ the meds and looking at results from the vet you had her at -- its just the one foot correct? I was thinking maybe gout as well but the uric acid level would need to be high and that is from blood work being done to diagnose that - please post the results you got from that vet -- just as precautionary I would replace the green mesh w/ a fleece hammock or a cloth one - I have seen to many injuries caused from the green and grass hammocks - www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com
@Drache613
I was dusting with calcium with D3, but the vet said to do without…. I’m so frustrated! I’ll get a new T 5 and a new hammock… they did X-rays but I didn’t get a copy or file of them, I’m on the phone with them now, I’ll ask them to email them to me and I’ll post them. They said nothing about blood work.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was dusting with calcium with D3, but the vet said to do without…. I’m so frustrated! I’ll get a new T 5 and a new hammock… they did X-rays but I didn’t get a copy or file of them, I’m on the phone with them now, I’ll ask them to email them to me and I’ll post them. They said nothing about blood work.
hes a baby please dust his insects w/ calcium D3--- please get one of these UVB's -- Zoo Med 24" -- 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12 % bulb found at Pet Smart or a 24" or 2 ft Sunblaster Nano Tech both the Zoo Med and Nano Tech need the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulbs- both come w/ bulbs the Zoo Med a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the Nano Tech a growers bulb - as far as the D3 dust insects 5 x per week one time per feeding / day -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week one time per feeding -- the blood work would determine uric acid levels for gout--- I am thinking tho for as young as he is its highly doubtful gout --- I am thinking its something to do w/ him pulling his foot out of that hammock and spraining something -- if you need links to the UVB's please tell me and I will post them for you -- in the meantime I have sent your post to Tracie - she is on late at night

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, I’ll do all that. Her back leg also was swollen, but not nearly as bad. Since taking her in it has gotten better and she walks fine on it. She uses this hand as well but it doesn’t obviously grip any thing and I’m sure isn’t comfortable! I’m posting her x rays, there is one of that back foot and then the leg in question. I can’t get the vet to call me back, the X-rays were sent by one of the office staff. I would have done blood work if they’d mentioned it but all they wanted to do was surgery. When I said that wasn’t in the budget right now, they settled for pain meds and antibiotics.

Attachments

• E01A5008-0EC6-41AD-992E-53B8427A94FA.jpeg
    E01A5008-0EC6-41AD-992E-53B8427A94FA.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DB962F5D-AC86-4FEB-9708-2C54DB847D35.jpeg
    DB962F5D-AC86-4FEB-9708-2C54DB847D35.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I’ll do all that. Her back leg also was swollen, but not nearly as bad. Since taking her in it has gotten better and she walks fine on it. She uses this hand as well but it doesn’t obviously grip any thing and I’m sure isn’t comfortable! I’m posting her x rays, there is one of that back foot and then the leg in question. I can’t get the vet to call me back, the X-rays were sent by one of the office staff. I would have done blood work if they’d mentioned it but all they wanted to do was surgery. When I said that wasn’t in the budget right now, they settled for pain meds and antibiotics.
Ok we need Tracie to chime in on her thoughts

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With the back foot swollen now as well I am thinking it may be gout- I am gonna post a website for a reptile vet-- www.arav.org
If your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code - I still want Tracie to input her thoughts

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With the back foot swollen now as well I am thinking it may be gout- I am gonna post a website for a reptile vet-- www.arav.org
If your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code - I still want Tracie to input her thoughts
Flagging her again

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I am sorry about your dragon, the swelling definitely appears to be gout. How long has this appeared
like this?
What did they want to do surgery for?
They didn't want to do a blood test, how much does she weigh, approximately?
Can you review the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures, supplementation, etc for us?
Did you stop giving the Tazicef antibiotics? I would have to agree that in situations where gout is suspect
then antibiotics simply make it worse. Do you still have black cherry or tart cherry juice or powder you can
get her started on again?
I would try to get her started on those again, but she will probably need Allopurinol for gout right now to get
her levels lowered. The areas do look like they are going to shed but normally there isn't quite that much
swelling though in areas pre-shed.

Tracie

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I am sorry about your dragon, the swelling definitely appears to be gout. How long has this appeared
like this?
What did they want to do surgery for?
They didn't want to do a blood test, how much does she weigh, approximately?
Can you review the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures, supplementation, etc for us?
Did you stop giving the Tazicef antibiotics? I would have to agree that in situations where gout is suspect
then antibiotics simply make it worse. Do you still have black cherry or tart cherry juice or powder you can
get her started on again?
I would try to get her started on those again, but she will probably need Allopurinol for gout right now to get
her levels lowered. The areas do look like they are going to shed but normally there isn't quite that much
swelling though in areas pre-shed.

Tracie
I finally got the vet to call me back, she’s sticking with septic arthritis and when I said I thought gout she told me gout is rare and the last thing they would look for. Funny it’s the first thing that pops up in a google search of swollen joints… anyway the vet wanted me to bring her back in for blood work to the tune of $300. I was so frustrated I finally just hung up before I said something I shouldn’t have. The vet then called me back saying they could just do blood work to check for Uric acid levels and that would only be $50. So I think I’ll go that route next. I did stop with the tazicef and started her back on the tart cherry powder. I think she’s trying to brumate because she keeps going in her cave and not coming out for a whole day or two. She isn’t lethargic though. She’s alert and doesn’t let the swelling stop her from moving around and eating and drinking. I’ll get her in tomorrow for the Uric acid test and post what I find out. She was 60 grams I believe when I took her in a few weeks ago. I’ve been cutting back on her protein intake just in case, but she doesn’t love the greens yet, so she’s still getting the bugs… is that going to be ok? I posted the uvb set up above, and Sadie said to change up a few things, so I got an HO T5 uvb, and a new basking light, which she likes a lot when she ventures out of her cave.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I finally got the vet to call me back, she’s sticking with septic arthritis and when I said I thought gout she told me gout is rare and the last thing they would look for. Funny it’s the first thing that pops up in a google search of swollen joints… anyway the vet wanted me to bring her back in for blood work to the tune of $300. I was so frustrated I finally just hung up before I said something I shouldn’t have. The vet then called me back saying they could just do blood work to check for Uric acid levels and that would only be $50. So I think I’ll go that route next. I did stop with the tazicef and started her back on the tart cherry powder. I think she’s trying to brumate because she keeps going in her cave and not coming out for a whole day or two. She isn’t lethargic though. She’s alert and doesn’t let the swelling stop her from moving around and eating and drinking. I’ll get her in tomorrow for the Uric acid test and post what I find out. She was 60 grams I believe when I took her in a few weeks ago. I’ve been cutting back on her protein intake just in case, but she doesn’t love the greens yet, so she’s still getting the bugs… is that going to be ok? I posted the uvb set up above, and Sadie said to change up a few things, so I got an HO T5 uvb, and a new basking light, which she likes a lot when she ventures out of her cave.
Please keep feeding the protein but I would get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com - do not dust them they are calcium enriched - and you can also get her some silk worms - www.reptilianarts.com - they also have the BSFL - the BSFL are a great staple feeder and used to lure dragons to the food bowl - drop them on top of her salads first feeding of the day and you can hand feed them as well to get her hand tamed--- if she does have gout then your going to haft to stay away from dubia roaches which is sad cuz they are a good feeder- if she does have gout you can get her on allopurinol but lets see what the uric acid level comes back at -- where did you put the UVB? Your screen is going to determine where it goes - for a fine mesh like a screen door its going to need to go inside the tank or unobstructed w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -for a wide holed type it can sit on top but w/ decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches
you will need a bowl similar to this to keep the BSFL in
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
And by the way gout has become very common in dragons now I dont know what the deal is w/ that but we see it alot

MommaD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, I can’t get her in until Friday. Here is a pic of the screen on top of her cage. I have the lights on top right now but if I need to I’ll remount them inside. The color has come back into her arm/hand, so I feel better about that! I got her some bsf larvae, I had to order live ones, but my local petco had vacuum sealed ones, so we tried those. She absolutely loved them! I’m sure she’ll love them even more when they are wiggling!
9D47FAC7-888C-4FCA-922C-4986CBEEFC04.jpeg

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Great, when you do get the results back, please post them here & I'll take a look at them. Unfortunately,
a lot of vets tend to overlook gout for whatever reason, I'm not sure. It is extremely common & I feel that
it is due to a variety of factors such as breed/morph, genetics of course, diet & supplementation, & the feed
that the insects are given too.
Most commercialized diets for insect gut loads is genetically modified which is toxic & causes organ issues
for both the insects & the reptile ingesting them.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I can’t get her in until Friday. Here is a pic of the screen on top of her cage. I have the lights on top right now but if I need to I’ll remount them inside. The color has come back into her arm/hand, so I feel better about that! I got her some bsf larvae, I had to order live ones, but my local petco had vacuum sealed ones, so we tried those. She absolutely loved them! I’m sure she’ll love them even more when they are wiggling! View attachment 33301
Your UVB can sit on top directly over the basking decor 8-10 inches -- the live BSFL are best --

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Ok, great. I hope she is doing well. Today is friday so definitely let me know how the vet visit goes.
Wow that is really good to hear she is getting some color back into her arm/hand, is the swelling going
down too?
I'm sure that she will love more insect variety. Keep her well hydrated right now. We are all pulling for
her.

Tracie