• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swelling under lower eyelids/droopy eyelids

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
What is causing this?? I think it's starting to affect his depth perception, as he keeps missing his bugs multiple times before he finally catches them.
He's always had a little more 'space' under his bottom lid, but the swelling tissue is new within the last two weeks or so.
51wMc77.jpg
3etMCnd.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my poor thing.. have you had a vet take a look at his eyes?? that's where I would start for sure, make sure your husbandry is good. Is there anything loose in his tank? like sand or something that could irritate his inner eyelids?? I would start with vet..

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Nope, no loose substrate of any kind. The cage furniture is all styrofoam coated in dryloc.
Lights are an Arcadian 12% tube fluorescent with a reflector. Heat lamp is an incandescent indoor floodlight. (I figure someone might ask about lighting, as I know the coil bulbs are bad for their eyes)
I was hoping someone could give me some idea of what I'm dealing with, before I bring him to a vet. I don't know how knowledgeable the local reptile vet is on bearded dragons, so I'd like to have at least a general idea of what this could be. Has anyone seen this particular issue before?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, vet. It's possible he could have rubbed his eye on something and it scratched. or a bug bit him in the eye.

BTW, all bearded dragons have poor depth perception. They can see things far away but the closer things are, not so well. That's why they will just walk off a table without thinking, they don't realize there is nothing there.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Update:
I took him to the vet, but the antibiotics actually made him much much worse! The swelling covered his eyes completely and sometimes they would bleed.
He eventually stopped eating unless I forced him, and lost some weight. I was really worried I was gonna lose him.
It's only recently that I figured out the cause: He's allergic to either superworms or Repashy calcium plus! I've been feeding him only BSFL recently as they don't need dusting, and he's improving. His entire cage got a good scrub (even the ceiling!) to make sure there's no dust left. He ate on his own for the first time in nearly a month today, though I think he's trained me to hold them for him and he won't eat from the bowl.
So any suggestions for good brands of calcium/vitamins other than repashy?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update:
I took him to the vet, but the antibiotics actually made him much much worse! The swelling covered his eyes completely and sometimes they would bleed.
He eventually stopped eating unless I forced him, and lost some weight. I was really worried I was gonna lose him.
It's only recently that I figured out the cause: He's allergic to either superworms or Repashy calcium plus! I've been feeding him only BSFL recently as they don't need dusting, and he's improving. His entire cage got a good scrub (even the ceiling!) to make sure there's no dust left. He ate on his own for the first time in nearly a month today, though I think he's trained me to hold them for him and he won't eat from the bowl.
So any suggestions for good brands of calcium/vitamins other than repashy?
Oh wow! that is really interesting you could use Rep Cal Multivit, and Beardeddragon.co has supplements that you could use including Calcium with and without D3
Keep us posted on how things go.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Huh, that's interesting. I used to use Reptivite multivitamin and Repti calcium by Zoomed.