• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swallowing/Potential aspiration of meds

DownTheHall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I have a 7 mo old beardie who recently got antiparasitic meds for coccidia and pinworms. I went too fast last night with the syringe and I'm now worried she may have aspirated some. She's swallowing occasionally (closed mouth, but I can see the motion in her throat, maybe once every 15 min), although it's a less pronounced than last night. She did not cough or spit up last night when I gave her her meds and I watched her for like 5 min after I gave it to her to make sure she was ok, but when I checked on her like 40 min later she was doing this swallowing thing while she was sleeping. I stayed up with her (cuddling in a hand towel) so she could sleep warmly and so I could watch her, and at the time she was swallowing like 3 times in succession every 15 min. I gave her a warm water bottle overnight and refreshed it in the middle of the night, and oriented her with her head lower than her body per advice I found online so she could drain those fluids.

She's eating normally (always always always crazy for dubias, and second favorite is Fluker's juvenile dragon food, and she gets a little bit of fruits or veggies daily- today was some mango, which she ate and gets as a "staple fruit" pretty often, and blackberry, which she left and she only gets very rarely), she's moving around her enclosure normally, she's defecating normally, and I talked about my set up with the vet at her exam this last week (carpet, 40 gal, 2 lights- halogen for basking and UVB right next to it, elevated basking location with cave underneath. Vet advised that she should probably have a higher temp basking area because hers gets to like high 80s/mid 90s and I'm working on that, but she was cleared as healthy, but for parasites like 3 days ago). She is still swallowing occasionally and has had one or two body movements that looked like mild hiccups (she did not open her mouth, it was just like how a hiccup would look in your body without the mouth part). Breathing seems normal otherwise- sometimes I can see her breathe on the side of her body and sometimes not, but that's normal for her, and I haven't seen her gasp or wheeze. Humidity in the tank is in "ok" range (between 40-50%).

Is it normal for them to swallow occasionally like humans do automatically or is this something I should keep watching closely?

DownTheHall

Bearded Dragon Egg
No aspirin- it was an anti-parasitic that was a fluid. She has eaten since then, so I think it would move anything in her throat down. Her UVB is a CFL. I can elevate her basking location by maybe an inch with rocks and see how that works. My only concern is that it might put her too close to the light (like 8 or 9 inches)

DownTheHall

Bearded Dragon Egg
The coil is a 26 watt Thrive brand UVB bulb, and I just measured her basking location as about 8 inches from both bulbs, through mesh. I don't know that it has a reputation yet, though I did research them when I bought them, there wasn't much out there. She's had it since we got her in late November.

I elevated her basking position about an inch on rocks so her back is now about 7in from the bulbs (again, through mesh, so I don't think it will harm her) and now it's sitting around 100. My beardie disagreed with the choice though, and jumped off after about 5 minutes. I'll get back to you on the swallowing, because I need to be watching her to see it and she just decided to go eat some of her dry food rather than bask. She's just swallowing like when you swallow extra saliva in your mouth. Her mouth doesn't open, but I can see her throat move. I'll start watching her when she decides she's done and post again.

DownTheHall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks! She currently has a kind of pyramid/cave situation and sometimes she's on top and sometimes she walks down it or lays so she's half way up. The UVB dome DOES have a reflector, but I'll keep an eye out for the T8 to switch in the future. She now seems to be okay with the 100 temp. It might have just taken her a moment to get used to it. I'm browsing logs/branches now so I can give her a greater ability to adjust her temp.

I didn't see her swallowing anymore, but if she does again I'll post over to BeardedDragon.org. Thanks a bunch!