• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunny the master of avoiding her greens!

Sunny lil dragon mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is Sunny our 5 month old (estimating based on her current size) female bearded dragon. We got her when she was just 6inches long in August of this year. She’s now 12 inches long and weighs 84 grams. This week marks 3 months with her and she is so full of personality! Here is a pic of her cunningly picking out all of the bugs (Dubai’s and BSFLs) from her salad, flinging collard greens out of her bowl, managing to avoid eating a single vegetable than scurrying up to her basking rock as if the vegetables were left for someone else lol. She‘s so smart, knows all my tricks and hates eating salads.

Attachments

• 5EF293F1-E74A-40A8-AF82-63BF97BB6575.jpeg
    5EF293F1-E74A-40A8-AF82-63BF97BB6575.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • 994F972E-CE9F-4ED4-AEFF-4834407D1FA7.jpeg
    994F972E-CE9F-4ED4-AEFF-4834407D1FA7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
This is Sunny our 5 month old (estimating based on her current size) female bearded dragon. We got her when she was just 6inches long in August of this year. She’s now 12 inches long and weighs 84 grams. This week marks 3 months with her and she is so full of personality! Here is a pic of her cunningly picking out all of the bugs (Dubai’s and BSFLs) from her salad, flinging collard greens out of her bowl, managing to avoid eating a single vegetable than scurrying up to her basking rock as if the vegetables were left for someone else lol. She‘s so smart, knows all my tricks and hates eating salads.
LOL i know that trick, i make the nicest salads, and ya they end up on the floor and all bugs disappear in belly,
Sunny is so cute ❤️

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Bee pollen, apple juice, bsfl, fruit, are all the tricks i know, have you tried more “wild” looking veggies? I have found that with dragons they like eating things with jagged edges and texture., ur salad is kinda lack luster imo…..

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot ,… At sunnys age she can have hornworms , those are really for veg, the caterpillars legs really grab onto things.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I know that feeling I made a beautiful salad for mine with strawberries cut up nicely I gave it to him he took one taste of a strawberry decided he hated it a took a poop in his salad

Sunny lil dragon mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I forgot ,… At sunnys age she can have hornworms , those are really for veg, the caterpillars legs really grab onto things.
I haven’t tried the hornworms yet but I did do silk worms which she loves to eat but still managed to avoid her salad. I’ll try horn worms next. The standard remedies of bee pollen, fruits, fruit juices have yielded no results for me. I typically give her turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, kale, along with two or 3 different veggies on top. Always butternut squash cause that’s the only thing she will eat that’s not a bug. I also do yellow, orange, red bell peppers, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, grated carrots. That’s what I have currently in my fridge. Oh and also baby arugula but she spits that out even when I manage to hide it under some butternut squash when hand feeding. I think she’s especially not fond of its flavor. I usually try sneaking some collard greens or turnip greens under a pc of squash so she only sees the squash and hand feed it to her and the. She gets a POC of the greens and usually will chew and a willow. Every once in a while she sees the green poking out and will turn her head away from it, soon as I remove the green then she gobbled the squash from my hand. I never new bearded could be so smart lol. She also sometimes will start chewing and when she realizes there’s greens under that squash she’ll use her tongue to push the greens out and keep eating the squash. It’s crazy watching her do it. First couple of times I just thought she was a clumsy eater. But it’s become a skill of hers and she does it every single feeding at least once. It really takes a lot to trick her lol. I just keep doing the hand feeding, hiding the greens under the squash hoping one day she starts eating out of her bowl herself.
what other greens do you recommend? I’d love to give her some dandelion greens but it’s winter here and no grocery stores carry them.

Sunny lil dragon mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven’t tried the hornworms yet but I did do silk worms which she loves to eat but still managed to avoid her salad. I’ll try horn worms next. The standard remedies of bee pollen, fruits, fruit juices have yielded no results for me. I typically give her turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, kale, along with two or 3 different veggies on top. Always butternut squash cause that’s the only thing she will eat that’s not a bug. I also do yellow, orange, red bell peppers, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, grated carrots. That’s what I have currently in my fridge. Oh and also baby arugula but she spits that out even when I manage to hide it under some butternut squash when hand feeding. I think she’s especially not fond of its flavor. I usually try sneaking some collard greens or turnip greens under a pc of squash so she only sees the squash and hand feed it to her and the. She gets a POC of the greens and usually will chew and a willow. Every once in a while she sees the green poking out and will turn her head away from it, soon as I remove the green then she gobbled the squash from my hand. I never new bearded could be so smart lol. She also sometimes will start chewing and when she realizes there’s greens under that squash she’ll use her tongue to push the greens out and keep eating the squash. It’s crazy watching her do it. First couple of times I just thought she was a clumsy eater. But it’s become a skill of hers and she does it every single feeding at least once. It really takes a lot to trick her lol. I just keep doing the hand feeding, hiding the greens under the squash hoping one day she starts eating out of her bowl herself.
what other greens do you recommend? I’d love to give her some dandelion greens but it’s winter here and no grocery stores carry them.
Oops sorry for all the typos. Typing from phone and screen is small, should have proof read.

Sunny lil dragon mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know that feeling I made a beautiful salad for mine with strawberries cut up nicely I gave it to him he took one taste of a strawberry decided he hated it a took a poop in his salad
Oh my gosh, what an insult to the chef! I’m glad I haven’t experienced that yet! Lol Sunny hates her poop, she goes in the same far corner of her tank every day and once she finishes her business she scurries up her log and refuses to come down until I’ve properly cleaned up her poop area.
Beardy personalities really do vary don’t they.
Every one has different stories of their dragons and their mannerisms. I love it!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Oh my gosh, what an insult to the chef! I’m glad I haven’t experienced that yet! Lol Sunny hates her poop, she goes in the same far corner of her tank every day and once she finishes her business she scurries up her log and refuses to come down until I’ve properly cleaned up her poop area.
Beardy personalities really do vary don’t they.
Every one has different stories of their dragons and their mannerisms. I love it!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I know lol I still adore him though but I don't give him strawberries anymore like he had a poop spot and everything but nope he deliberately did that to I would get the strawberries away. Now if I put to many greens he just starts throwing them everywhere he's very picky when it's greens

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot to mention the hornworms grow fast!
So she loves squash? But wont eat greens?! How cunning… id mash it and add it to the greens, make her work for it, and she might realize the greens arnt so bad, hibiscus was the only thing I could get my beardy to eat , i had four plant growing at the time, you can feed the flowers, buds and leaves.

Guinea_Pig

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you, the pet store had her labeled as a red morph. Though I’m not too sure. She or maybe he (starting to think sunny might be a male now that they have grown up a bit) does have some beautiful red, orange and yellow coloring.
cute! yeah, I have a beardie named megumi. I don't actually know her type. She has hues of orange and yellow.