• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sudden rash of "dwarf" dragons

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has anyone else noticed the sudden rash of "dwarf" dragons hitting the industry? It worries me because the gene pool must be so thin in some of these colonies that they are being born much smaller and not growing near the same size as normal dragons. There was one that was "grown" listed on kingsnake at 13 inches and 350 grams at 2 years old. This is sad. Worst part is the seller felt that this made this dragon very special and perfect for breediung. Was being sold for 700 dollars. What is up with that. The rankins dragon is supposed to be small but not the vitticeps. And these arent dragons bred from a vitticeps rankins pairing (which has happened before) this is from two adult vitticeps. It worries me. Maybe im just not acclimating to the changing times as well as some lol.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a runt dragon at 350 grams, but He isn't part of my breeding plans. I imagine if I came across a small enough female it would work, but you never know whats going to come out of the egg till its out and mature....lol. Beside breeding a female that small would wipe her out way to fast. I dint get some of these designer dragons at all.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my main issue is people purposely "dwarfing" dragons via selectively breeding smaller and smaller animals. It is sad in my opinion. But then thats just me lol.