• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sudden death of 3 yr old beardie

Antennastokendra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our loving Gully died this morning. We are confused on what happened. Last night he was running around like normal in our living room with absolutely no stress markings when all of a sudden he went into a very wide gaping pose. He was like this for a few minutes until we realized that he wasn't gaping, he almost seemed paralyzed like he couldn't move his body or mouth. He then stared flailing his neck and head and arms backwards like he was gasping for air but there was no sound coming from him whatsoever. When I looked in his mouth, there was foamy spit it looked like but I don't know if this is abnormal or not?? I immediately ran him to the emergency vet where they gave him a steroid shot and said that he needed to rest, and to start his antibiotics the next day, and that he would be ok. They had no idea what happened but said that his throat was swollen and that he may have had a seizure or been through some trauma. When we woke in the morning, he was dead at 3 years of age.

Does anybody have any idea what may have caused this? It was so sudden and super heartbreaking.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our loving Gully died this morning. We are confused on what happened. Last night he was running around like normal in our living room with absolutely no stress markings when all of a sudden he went into a very wide gaping pose. He was like this for a few minutes until we realized that he wasn't gaping, he almost seemed paralyzed like he couldn't move his body or mouth. He then stared flailing his neck and head and arms backwards like he was gasping for air but there was no sound coming from him whatsoever. When I looked in his mouth, there was foamy spit it looked like but I don't know if this is abnormal or not?? I immediately ran him to the emergency vet where they gave him a steroid shot and said that he needed to rest, and to start his antibiotics the next day, and that he would be ok. They had no idea what happened but said that his throat was swollen and that he may have had a seizure or been through some trauma. When we woke in the morning, he was dead at 3 years of age.

Does anybody have any idea what may have caused this? It was so sudden and super heartbreaking.
I am so sorry what a horrible experience --- it sounds like he had a seizure-- what UVB were you using? A coil or a tube fixture?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
It does sound like he had a seizure. The only way to know for sure is to get a necropsy done if you're feeling up to it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. I am so heartbroken. It was a tube fixture.
Ok --- just checking -- again I am so sorry to hear -- he may have been sick all along and you could not have known unless he showed signs -- they are notorious for hiding their illness

Antennastokendra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok --- just checking -- again I am so sorry to hear -- he may have been sick all along and you could not have known unless he showed signs -- they are notorious for hiding their illness
Thank you so much! Yeah I really have no idea. He did run by an air vent when he was roaming around and I was thinking maybe he licked a bug that was in there or something

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

So sorry for your loss. How heart-breaking, especially when it's so sudden like that. Virtual hugs.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon

So sorry for your loss.