• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate besides reptile carpet, paper towels, or tile for adult bearded dragon

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have an adult bearded dragon who is 3.5 years old and about 18 inches long. She has been kept on the Zilla desert blend (not by me, but her previous owner). I was wondering if, since she has been kept on this before and is completely healthy, it would be appropriate to keep her on this. I would not be feeding her in this tank.

If not Zilla's desert blend, I was wondering what other safe substrates you can use besides tile, paper towels, or reptile carpet. I currently have reptile carpet in my tank and my dragon's claws keep on getting stuck, even after being trimmed.

Please let me know. Thank you!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I have an adult bearded dragon who is 3.5 years old and about 18 inches long. She has been kept on the Zilla desert blend (not by me, but her previous owner). I was wondering if, since she has been kept on this before and is completely healthy, it would be appropriate to keep her on this. I would not be feeding her in this tank.

If not Zilla's desert blend, I was wondering what other safe substrates you can use besides tile, paper towels, or reptile carpet. I currently have reptile carpet in my tank and my dragon's claws keep on getting stuck, even after being trimmed.

most people recommend tile, but you can use a mix of play sand and organic top soil, mine enjoys that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
most people recommend tile, but you can use a mix of play sand and organic top soil, mine enjoys that

Would you be able to do me a huge favor and link appropriate play sand on amazon? I just want to be sure what I'm purchasing is safe for my bearded dragon.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also was wondering if you could link top soil that is safe for my bearded dragon. Again, don't want to take any risks accidentally purchasing a soil that is somehow toxic or unsafe for her. Thanks a ton!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks a ton. I ordered those last night and they're coming today. Any certain ratio you recommend?
the most recent enclosure i did was for my snake and i did 3 handfuls of soil for every 1/2-3/4 solo cup of sand and i seem to like that. you can mess around with it and such and see what you like, but what i do recommend is taking some soil out of the bag and letting it dry out, otherwise the humidity will be highhhhhh

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
also, you should look into doing bioactive, youre pretty much halfway there with this substrate

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
also, you should look into doing bioactive, youre pretty much halfway there with this substrate

I see lots of people adding small bugs that supposedly help keep everything clean.

Since you have the same substrate, I was wondering what you'd recommend.

I'd be up to getting a few plants and bugs.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I see lots of people adding small bugs that supposedly help keep everything clean.

Since you have the same substrate, I was wondering what you'd recommend.

I'd be up to getting a few plants and bugs.
my substrate is used for a snake (a western hognose to be exact) and they pretty much have the same requirements. you can actually go on facebook and join a couple groups over there (Reptile and Amphibians Bioactive Setups, and Advancing Herpetological Husbandry) and they can help you out a lot. theres sooooo many different species of bugs you can add, isopods, springtails, worms, beetles, millipedes, but they can give you exact species within those.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
my substrate is used for a snake (a western hognose to be exact) and they pretty much have the same requirements. you can actually go on facebook and join a couple groups over there (Reptile and Amphibians Bioactive Setups, and Advancing Herpetological Husbandry) and they can help you out a lot. theres sooooo many different species of bugs you can add, isopods, springtails, worms, beetles, millipedes, but they can give you exact species within those.

also, i am using the same substrate for a beardie, hes just not bioactive and hes in my home in another state with my parents

Elle

Bearded Dragon Egg

Half of my bearded dragons tank is tile, and other half is the edible sand. I wouldnt use the carpet, it can abtain moisture and they can get mouth rot from it. Thats how my iguana died. Adult beardies dont want to eat the sand, so im not worried about impaction. And the way i see it, they come from a sandy environment.

Attachments

• 15488642044136534830100704091551.jpg
    15488642044136534830100704091551.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61