• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys!
I had never heard of stress marks before, but I think my beardie is covered in them now that I’ve seen pictures!! I can’t rememeer a time when he hasnt had these marks all over his belly. I’m wondering what the reason for these could be. I definitely have the right UVB light and basking temp, but is it possible my UVB light is too far away? He is also super agressive to me always and constantly hissing and tryinf to bite me, so maybe he js just stressed out by me? He has a very large tank. I can’t think of anything else that could be a problem. Below is a picture I took of him earlier today. I’m sure I can look back and find plenty of similar pictures. He used to stand against the wall all the time.
51388782-B0EC-4A1A-B9E5-09ABDC9B9D5C.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys!
I had never heard of stress marks before, but I think my beardie is covered in them now that I’ve seen pictures!! I can’t rememeer a time when he hasnt had these marks all over his belly. I’m wondering what the reason for these could be. I definitely have the right UVB light and basking temp, but is it possible my UVB light is too far away? He is also super agressive to me always and constantly hissing and tryinf to bite me, so maybe he js just stressed out by me? He has a very large tank. I can’t think of anything else that could be a problem. Below is a picture I took of him earlier today. I’m sure I can look back and find plenty of similar pictures. He used to stand against the wall all the time.View attachment 25073
Where is the UVB? Distance ? And its a T 5 ? The temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Any colored lights in the tank ?

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Where is the UVB? Distance ? And its a T 5 ? The temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Any colored lights in the tank ?
heres a picture of his tank. (sorry it’s a mess - cleaning today.) As you can see the UVB is as close to his basking spot as it can be, and yes it is a T5. I don’t know if you can see in the image, but I do take the temp w a digital probe. (If you can see it might be a little cold - we just woke up) No colored lights! I think I may need to get a new UVB holder thingy because this one can’t be hung inside the tank, because the on-switch is on the back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
heres a picture of his tank. (sorry it’s a mess - cleaning today.) As you can see the UVB is as close to his basking spot as it can be, and yes it is a T5. I don’t know if you can see in the image, but I do take the temp w a digital probe. (If you can see it might be a little cold - we just woke up) No colored lights! I think I may need to get a new UVB holder thingy because this one can’t be hung inside the tank, because the on-switch is on the back.
Oh! I also just got a new tank and haven’t put in a back drop yet, could this be the problem?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh! I also just got a new tank and haven’t put in a back drop yet, could this be the problem?
No on the back drop --- yes to where the UVB is placed --- please get it in the tank here are some things to hang w/ and your not going to find a specific "holder" for the UVB lamp to go inside the tank --- please use these things to hang work on getting it in the tank first then we will work on decor pieces to get it underneath it - it does not need to be next to the basking light but as close to it as possible -- you want him to be accessible to the UVB as possible
I use these they work great cut them in strips they are like a strap also here are some more ideas
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line or potted plant wire hangers
Let me know when you get it inside the tank then we will work on distance

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
No on the back drop --- yes to where the UVB is placed --- please get it in the tank here are some things to hang w/ and your not going to find a specific "holder" for the UVB lamp to go inside the tank --- please use these things to hang work on getting it in the tank first then we will work on decor pieces to get it underneath it - it does not need to be next to the basking light but as close to it as possible -- you want him to be accessible to the UVB as possible
I use these they work great cut them in strips they are like a strap also here are some more ideas
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line or potted plant wire hangers
Let me know when you get it inside the tank then we will work on distance
I used some zip ties and command hooks to hang it inside the tank. How is this?

Attachments

• 919D1196-2BDC-4C15-AFA7-A4184E84AD7F.jpeg
    919D1196-2BDC-4C15-AFA7-A4184E84AD7F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 36

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
looks good now the easy part you need a piece of decor directly underneath 6-8 inches
Hi, just an update. It’s been a few more days with the low hanging UVB and still no change ): . He sometimes will climb up his hammock which is under the UVB and other times I will put him there so he gets some time under the light. Also, I moved his cage about 3 days ago and now he is getting a lot more sun. I’m not sure if this should help- but still no change in the stress marks sadly.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, just an update. It’s been a few more days with the low hanging UVB and still no change ): . He sometimes will climb up his hammock which is under the UVB and other times I will put him there so he gets some time under the light. Also, I moved his cage about 3 days ago and now he is getting a lot more sun. I’m not sure if this should help- but still no change in the stress marks sadly.
He will go thru relocation stress w/ the tank being moved --- the sun is it heating the tank up more --- did you get a piece of decor under the UVB please post a updated pic of the tank

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
He will go thru relocation stress w/ the tank being moved --- the sun is it heating the tank up more --- did you get a piece of decor under the UVB please post a updated pic of the tank
heres the tank. as you can see that hammock against the wall gets hit by the UVB light and he will climb up to the top there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
heres the tank. as you can see that hammock against the wall gets hit by the UVB light and he will climb up to the top there.
Ok so I would move that hammock over more so most of it is directly under it or go get a new piece of decor so you can place it directly under it -- I am thinking hes not getting enough of those rays ---nice view for him -- is he eating ?

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I would move that hammock over more so most of it is directly under it or go get a new piece of decor so you can place it directly under it -- I am thinking hes not getting enough of those rays ---nice view for him -- is he eating ?
he wont eat his salad but he will eat bugs when i hold them out in front of him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he wont eat his salad but he will eat bugs when i hold them out in front of him
Take your bugs and put them on top of his salads- use them as lures do it in front of him-- get some BSFL from here they are a great staple feeder for babies-- do not dust them www.symtonbsf.com - order large they are small feed as many as you want - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Take your bugs and put them on top of his salads- use them as lures do it in front of him-- get some BSFL from here they are a great staple feeder for babies-- do not dust them www.symtonbsf.com - order large they are small feed as many as you want - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl
oh another thing- i don’t know if it is significant that he won’t open his mouth when he is on his basking rock under the light. he used to always do that but i havent seen him do it in a long time. is opening the mouth just regulating his temperature, or is it something more?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh another thing- i don’t know if it is significant that he won’t open his mouth when he is on his basking rock under the light. he used to always do that but i havent seen him do it in a long time. is opening the mouth just regulating his temperature, or is it something more?
Normally- unless there is a RI going-- what are his basking temps? And you are taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer? Place the probe on the place where he sits wait 10 minutes then get temp

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Normally- unless there is a RI going-- what are his basking temps? And you are taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer? Place the probe on the place where he sits wait 10 minutes then get temp
i use a digital probe - its always between 100 and 110 degrees during the day and in the evening its about 98 (the sun sets at around 4:30 here).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i use a digital probe - its always between 100 and 110 degrees during the day and in the evening its about 98 (the sun sets at around 4:30 here).
Ok temps are good- keep doing the bsfl on the salads- he sounds like he's still going thru relocation stress- as long as he's eating something it may take him a little longer to acclimate to his tank and surroundings-

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys!
I had never heard of stress marks before, but I think my beardie is covered in them now that I’ve seen pictures!! I can’t rememeer a time when he hasnt had these marks all over his belly. I’m wondering what the reason for these could be. I definitely have the right UVB light and basking temp, but is it possible my UVB light is too far away? He is also super agressive to me always and constantly hissing and tryinf to bite me, so maybe he js just stressed out by me? He has a very large tank. I can’t think of anything else that could be a problem. Below is a picture I took of him earlier today. I’m sure I can look back and find plenty of similar pictures. He used to stand against the wall all the time.View attachment 25073
update: i think his stress marks are looking much better!

Attachments

• 5A7DC6D2-AC9A-4F97-A860-3CF26A5BBDA3.jpeg
    5A7DC6D2-AC9A-4F97-A860-3CF26A5BBDA3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

marzipanbaby

Hatchling Dragon
Yes much better is he sitting under the UVB? has his eating picked up?
yes he is sitting under the UVB but he is not eating as much as i would like him to. he only eats when bugs are involved, but i guess he is just becoming a picky eater.