• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been noticing that my beardie has been getting strange, leapord-like markings on his underside in the morning and night, but they disappear during the day! early morning or late at night, the markings get really black and clear. But during the day, They fade away. Is it a health problem I need to take care of, Is it normal, or is S.J just really special and awesomer then he already is?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded Dragons tend to get darker on their bellies when they are absorbing their uvb rays. If no other strange behavior is occurring, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Strange behavior would be changes in his eating, pooping and basking habits.

It makes sense for the markings to be darker in the morning and evening. In the morning, SJ is soaking up the rays to replace not receiving them during the night. And in the evening, SJ knows bed time is coming and is soaking up as much uvb as he can.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, no different than anything you learned in school, darker colors absorb more light. Therefore when a bearded dragon needs to absorb more light to take in a few rays (for balancing temperature) it has the ability to change color slightly in order to absorb more UVA/UVB. Pretty cool how nature takes care of itself, huh?

It should only be a concern if you notice your beardie stays dark for long periods of time. It could mean it doesn't have proper lighting. Wait till you see him/her in there dark for awhile and you notice, hey, one of the lightbulbs is out! Too funny.

Where are those SJ comics!!!????

randomracoon222

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you renee and bob, and to the question about the comics, I'm still making it. I'm busy with other things, so it'll take a while.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
not really adding anything new. but wanted to agree with everyone that if there are no habitual changes, your beardie should be fine. gertrude gets really dark when i take her outside during the summer. she loves to soak up those natural rays!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
randomracoon222 said:
Thank you renee and bob, and to the question about the comics, I'm still making it. I'm busy with other things, so it'll take a while.

You are quite welcome!

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oooh, my first thank you on this forum. Glad to help! I am sure you will be returning the favor in the future - so much to leanr about our spiny comrades.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was going to ask the same thing...plus I am on catchup mode since I haven't been on the forum in a bit :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.