• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

starting a Dubia Colony

Melody

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just brought home a new bearded dragon (about 3 months old) from the Sacramento Reptile Show. I also brought home 22 adult Dubia (8 males and 14 females) and 200 mixed juveniles. I have the Dubia in a 10 gallon tank with some water crystals and some veggies. there is a heat pad on the tank. what else do I need to do to get the colony breeding? I have a bunch of crunched up paper towels for them to hide in until i find more egg cartons. What is the best temp for breeding? what should I be feeding them? how much of the water crystals should I have in there? just loose on the floor or in a dish?

There is so much info here on bearded dragon care that I feel all my questions so far have been asked and answered, but i'm still looking for some advice on how to get my Dubia breeding! I just need a colony that can sustain my one Bearded Dragon.
Thanks! Melody

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dubia males do have wings, though those wings are not large enough to support their weight in flight.. so no worries there... Also the dubias don't really act like roaches... more like beetles...
Oh, and to support one dragon, from infancy you will need to be able to provide around 75 correctly sized roaches daily...
I tend to buy mine in the thousands ;)
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I do indeed keep mine in rubber maid or sterlite containers... and since they don't climb or fly... no lids ;)
I have hardly any losses.. say 1-2 every month, and lots of babies !
I also keep my bins on the tops of my enclosures, the ones that have the MVBs, this keeps the roaches warm enough, and with the oranges and greens, happy!
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jason formulated his own Chow. Use it... it's good stuff ;)
The oranges stimulate the sex drive of the roaches... Viaaagra ;)
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Then inundate him with information... Show him all the good things that come from feeding and housing these beetles ;)
All in all, you just can't find a better solid feeder insect than dubias ;)
Janie

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Melody said:
I just need a colony that can sustain my one Bearded Dragon.
Thanks! Melody

Lol..I'm doing the same thing, and have my adults in a tank, with heat, soft lighting, soft music, orange scented candles.....sorry I'm getting carried away ;D!!! Anyway how many roaches (and what size roaches!) should an adult beardie eat a day?? :-\ Jethro has put on a fair bit of weight in the few weeks I have had him, He happily crunches about 8-10 20mm roaches a day, and every week he has a tub of large locusts too, plus greens. Is that enough!?