• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting A Discoid Colony

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
After a while I convinced my parents to let me switch to discoid roaches (dubia are illegal where I live). Any good advice on keeping the colony alive and breeding them? Thank you.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats great ! youll save a ton of money, temp, diet, humidity are gonna be the 3 factors, id order some roach chow i think i buy “bad ass bugs” roach/cricket chow off of amazon, youll need a large at least 10 inch high tote/bin, you dont want something see through or opaque, they need teeny tiny air holes, you can heat up a nail and poke 10-20 holes into it, you dont want to much ventilation, you wanna open the bin and it be a little damp not wet or moist , damp, i sectioned off my bin into two sides, sand side (about an inch) where i mist the walls, and the dirt side (about 2 inches) the dirt side is where i have cardboard eggcrates leaned up against the side, underneath them is 2 separate food dishes (1 for roach chow, the other for veg) all veggies must stay in the dish , except carrot, potatoes, or any root veggie , they can go right on the dirt amd won’t cause mold, if you see mold you need to clean clean and clean some more, i can show you my bin when i get home if you want pictures, do some of your own research, visit a couple pet stores and see how they’re housing them.

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Thats great ! youll save a ton of money, temp, diet, humidity are gonna be the 3 factors, id order some roach chow i think i buy “bad ass bugs” roach/cricket chow off of amazon, youll need a large at least 10 inch high tote/bin, you dont want something see through or opaque, they need teeny tiny air holes, you can heat up a nail and poke 10-20 holes into it, you dont want to much ventilation, you wanna open the bin and it be a little damp not wet or moist , damp, i sectioned off my bin into two sides, sand side (about an inch) where i mist the walls, and the dirt side (about 2 inches) the dirt side is where i have cardboard eggcrates leaned up against the side, underneath them is 2 separate food dishes (1 for roach chow, the other for veg) all veggies must stay in the dish , except carrot, potatoes, or any root veggie , they can go right on the dirt amd won’t cause mold, if you see mold you need to clean clean and clean some more, i can show you my bin when i get home if you want pictures, do some of your own research, visit a couple pet stores and see how they’re housing them.
thank you! also the pert stores in my area don't sell discoids, so I ordered them from Joe'sBugz.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How many roaches? Adult? I hope, discoids do take longer to mature, but they do give birth to far more roaches than dubias do, DO NOT, I repeat, do not feed any roaches till you have grandchildrens that are adults,from the original adults, you’ll be waiting atleast 6-10 months for a single generation, i ordered a bunch of feeder roaches, so I wasn’t feeding adults or soon to be adults. , it’s important to let them grow.

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
How many roaches? Adult? I hope, discoids do take longer to mature, but they do give birth to far more roaches than dubias do, DO NOT, I repeat, do not feed any roaches till you have grandchildrens that are adults,from the original adults, you’ll be waiting atleast 6-10 months for a single generation, i ordered a bunch of feeder roaches, so I wasn’t feeding adults or soon to be adults. , it’s important to let them grow.
25 adult

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
I'll try and breed them so I can save money on buying roaches, thank you for the tips

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot to mention, dog food can also be given to the roaches, you want options for them though, not just one food in their bin, mine love and broccoli and dog food,

Attachments

• 6916632D-B12A-4C8C-86A6-F4E1DEADD780.jpeg
    6916632D-B12A-4C8C-86A6-F4E1DEADD780.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • D79E65EC-C592-45AA-9DCE-D8CCD69ED9C5.jpeg
    D79E65EC-C592-45AA-9DCE-D8CCD69ED9C5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 80087C8E-0A07-46F0-8794-DEF1AF3A6E83.jpeg
    80087C8E-0A07-46F0-8794-DEF1AF3A6E83.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • BBCF8486-2536-4F4E-AB60-A850FD1AD7AF.jpeg
    BBCF8486-2536-4F4E-AB60-A850FD1AD7AF.jpeg