• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting a colony

luke leith

Bearded Dragon Egg
so I have decided to start a Dubai roach colony and had two questions
1. What is the best enclosure to house them in?
2. Do I provide heat through a heat mat or some sort of bulb?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a large colony and have them in big rubbermaid tubs they are tall and I cut top for screen material.. I use red heat lamps for my heat as I keep mine in the basement so I needed more heat.
You can read what I've written up on dubia colony it is in the general care section within the New comers Info thread at the top..

luke leith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a large colony and have them in big rubbermaid tubs they are tall and I cut top for screen material.. I use red heat lamps for my heat as I keep mine in the basement so I needed more heat.
You can read what I've written up on dubia colony it is in the general care section within the New comers Info thread at the top..
Does it make a difference if I use a red heat bulb or just a normal basking bulb?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does it make a difference if I use a red heat bulb or just a normal basking bulb?
I have my tubs covered in dark construction paper as they need the darkness, I wouldn't use an expensive basking bulb as its not needed. I have used regular light bulbs with the same effect. Dubia just need dark, warm place to do their thing.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I use a black Rubbermaid type container with a hole cut in the lid covered in mesh. For heat I use a CHE with a thermostat - I feel it is easier to monitor temps than using a heat or light bulb, plus keeps it dark inside.

luke leith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a black Rubbermaid type container with a hole cut in the lid covered in mesh. For heat I use a CHE with a thermostat - I feel it is easier to monitor temps than using a heat or light bulb, plus keeps it dark inside.
So they require a basking spot around 100 correct?

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I have read that the high end should be about 90° F. I actually change the temps for mine pretty often - like right now I have an overabundance so I am actually keeping them at room temp to slow down breeding and growth. Higher temps = faster growth, more breeding. But I get more fruit flies if I leave it at room temp too long, so I will kick it up for a few days then put it back down to whatever temp suits my needs.

That's why I like the controllable temperature offered with a CHE - over time with my colony I have learned what temps do best based on population size, how many I need, growth rates needed (i.e. if I have a ton of little ones I'll warm it up until they get bigger, etc.). It sounds complicated but I have just kind of intuitively picked up on the information. And despite my weekly of monthly temp fluctuations, I barely have any mortality.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
I started my dubia colony about 3 mnths ago with 10 adult females, 5 adult males and 50 small. There are now over 200. Rubbermaid tub with square cut in one side covered in metal mesh. I place a small heat lamp over the mesh. Temp is about 85° on top of egg crates. I process chicken feed, honeynut cheerios, calcium and dragon pellets for food. The babies love collard leaves and oranges work well. They breed so easy, if you see any mould or moisture on the floor just wipe it clean.