• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Special Needs Beardies (Help!)

SMF888

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I am new to this forum and am hoping to gain some insight in regards to caring for my beardies.
I have 2 bearded dragons.

My first bearded dragon is Peaches (About 3 years old). Almost 10 months ago, while I was away at work, Peaches fell off her perch and lodged herself upside down between her perch and the glass wall of her cage. She was stuck in that position, unable to move, for at least 5 hours considering how long I was at work. When I got home from work, I found her lodged there, stuck, and not moving. She had a bluish-purple tint to her body, especially her face. She was not breathing, but I immediately began doing CPR. I used a small ball pump, a straw, a sanitary wipe to clean her face, and both of my index fingers, and, yes, I managed to restore her breathing by doing CPR. I placed her on a heating pad and monitored her all night. My mom told me that she wouldn't live, but despite all odds, she did.
Today, she struggles to move around like she used too, and her mouth does not close all of the way. The tip of her tongue sticks out a little bit, but it doesn't seem to bother her.
I figured that, due to the lack of oxygen to her brain, she suffered some neurological damage and I am afraid its irreversible. I feel so incredibly guilty as I feel as though I could have prevented such a freak accident from occurring by arranging her cage a different way.
Does anyone have some pointers as to how to help her? She has lost some weight, so I am looking for ways to help bring her back to her original healthy weight in a healthy manner. I want to make sure she has the best care possible, so please, any pointers, tips, or recommendations will help me out immensely.

Secondly, today I rescued a bearded dragon who happens to be a paraplegic (his rear legs don't work). As a result, I have decided to name him Lieutenant Dan (About 6 months old).
Anyways, Lieutenant Dan is very skinny as he is not able to maneuver around to get his food. I have owned a few reptiles with disabilities, but never one that did not have use of his rear legs (or any legs for that matter). I dust his food with calcium powder in order to help boost his bone density as he is very thin, but I know he needs more minerals. Does anyone else have a paraplegic dragon? And, if so, how do you go about feeding him and taking care of them?

Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry about your baby :( So for the both of them you don't want them climbing up on things where they can fall far or get stuck somewhere. For both of them you can try making healthy slurries with their veggies and vitamin supplements and feed them a few times a week with a syringe. With your girl though you want to be careful putting the syringe in her mouth, you want to make sure you don't force it. You can also try dripping the slurry on the front of their mouth, or in her case her tongue that sticks out and they may lick it off.

The dragon you just rescued, do they know why he can't use his back legs? Has he gone to the bathroom since you've had him? Sometimes severe impaction can cause paralysis in the back legs.

I really would take them both to a vet for a checkup. Bringing a new bearded dragon into a home where you already have one can cause problems. You want to make sure that the new dragon doesn't have parasites or a bacterial infection or even ADV. Things that can be passed on to your other dragon.

Ben Stephenson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just over 2 weeks ago my 14-year-old daughter's 2-3 month old bearded lady "Athena" suffered trauma when the family cat found a way to jump on top of the terrarium (40 gallon Zoo Med) and then fell through the vinyl screened lid. We found our cat Tiger on the floor of her room, and Athena on the floor in front of the Tiger. Athena had a bite mark across her haunches from the cat jumping out of the terrarium with Athena in the cat's mouth. My daughter was hysterical.

I gently picked Athena up by the tail and put her back in her terrarium. We also replaced the terrarium lid with a hard lid so this could never happen again. Athena didn't eat for 2-3 days, and then only non-living food. My daughter was persistent, however, and Athena has since perked up, and now is eating live meal worms. Her bite mark has healed on the outside, but I think her back legs are paralyzed now. Her front legs are muscular, and she can move around using just her front legs.

I would like to ask the readers: Do any of you have experience with a paraplegic beardie? I can't say for sure whether she is suffering, but she seems mostly recovered and perky again, except for those back legs. What insight/advice do you have that could share with my daughter. Can a handicapped beardie grow up and have a decent quality of life?

Thanks in advance for any responses.