• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sorta Lethargic?

scalemates

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! So, I got my first beardie on Saturday-- about 5 days ago-- I have experience in a different field of reptile care, as I have a red eared slider turtle. She's been doing fine and she had a big appetite, and she was especially alert yesterday. She's been pooping regularly, as well. Well, I woke her up this morning when I got up, and since then she's been acting very slow and lethargic all day. She just stays in her basking spot and keeps her eyes shut. I even offered her live food out of my hand (If it helps, she's around 2-3 months old) And she wouldn't take it. All the temps in her terrarium are correct, as I've been closely monitoring with a digital thermometer. She'll only act up and alert when I try and get her to do stuff, and even then it's only for a few minutes.
I called the breeders I had bought her from and explained what was going on, they said it was nothing to worry about since It's a cooler day and she may just be a little more sluggish today, but I'm still very worried for my baby. Does anyone have explanation for the sudden change in behavior? Do I need to take her to a vet and get her checked out?

scalemates

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: She has pooped 3 times today, all relatively large and one was mostly bug exoskeletons (We feed her dubia roaches, so I'm going to assume they came from that and not the mealworms.) I wonder if she's just a little backed up. She definitely looked filled out yesterday and she seems a little less bloated today.

Kosmo12

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there -
I know my beardie acts that way a couple days before she starts the shedding process. I can't say for certain that's what's going on your baby but you might give her a good once over to see if she's starting a shed.
Hope that's helpful!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: She has pooped 3 times today, all relatively large and one was mostly bug exoskeletons (We feed her dubia roaches, so I'm going to assume they came from that and not the mealworms.) I wonder if she's just a little backed up. She definitely looked filled out yesterday and she seems a little less bloated today.
NO it was the meal worms --- babies should not be eating meal worms the exoskeleton is too hard on their system -- please do not feed anymore or you can impact her --- the dubias are a way better staple and should be fed the size no bigger than the space between her eyes -- she should be eating salads as well every morning -- you can also get some BSFL for her they are a great staple feeder you do not need to dust them --- feed as many as you want

Kosmo12

Bearded Dragon Egg
NO it was the meal worms --- babies should not be eating meal worms the exoskeleton is too hard on their system -- please do not feed anymore or you can impact her --- the dubias are a way better staple and should be fed the size no bigger than the space between her eyes -- she should be eating salads as well every morning -- you can also get some BSFL for her they are a great staple feeder you do not need to dust them --- feed as many as you want

scalemates

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I will keep these things in mind, I had no idea mealworms were dangerous for babies. She's still a little picky about her veggies but I encourage her every day and she's getting used to them. I think she probably has some waste left in her system, so I'll give her a few days before I start to feed her again. I also bathed her to soothe her a little, and I'll see if I can get an appointment with the vet. Also, I do believe she will start the shedding process soon, I could be mistaken since she's a red morph with a white underbelly, so It's hard to tell if her skin is getting a little pale. I will keep updated :)
Another behavior I see in her that's a little strange as well is the fact that she keeps one eye closed, especially when she's basking. I thought it was irritated at first but it seems like she switches eyes. One eye is always open, the other closed, and she alternates.

scalemates

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: She seems to be doing better today, I got her to eat a couple small dubias and I'm encouraging her to eat veggies again. She also looks filled out again, I don't know if she's bloated or yesterday she just wasn't feeling too well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I will keep these things in mind, I had no idea mealworms were dangerous for babies. She's still a little picky about her veggies but I encourage her every day and she's getting used to them. I think she probably has some waste left in her system, so I'll give her a few days before I start to feed her again. I also bathed her to soothe her a little, and I'll see if I can get an appointment with the vet. Also, I do believe she will start the shedding process soon, I could be mistaken since she's a red morph with a white underbelly, so It's hard to tell if her skin is getting a little pale. I will keep updated :)
Another behavior I see in her that's a little strange as well is the fact that she keeps one eye closed, especially when she's basking. I thought it was irritated at first but it seems like she switches eyes. One eye is always open, the other closed, and she alternates.
That is normal for the one eye basking ---- please hold off on the vet unless its absolutely necessary--- BSFL are black soldier fly larvae-- www.symptons.com look there ---- make sure shes hydrated that will help w / the pooping ---- rinse her salads before serving she will hydration from them