• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something in his nose?

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
Guys what’s in my beardie’s nose? I’ll post pictures of the normal side and the bad side.
1. weird side
2. normal side
55d9012196d807e13a56abc0bcdf0f5d.jpg

2acc395ef94fe43cc676b404bffbb9be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So are you talking about that little flap that is blocking the nose? That is normal and should never be pulled out. There is a piece of cartilage in their nose that lets them open and close their nose to protect from the environment. If they are under water or in a dust storm, it closes to protect from stuff getting in. When they shed and get "nose plugs" don't pull them out because you could accidentally pull that cartilage out.

I'm more concerned with side 2 because I don't see that flap there. It is either missing or he breathed in and it's laying flat against the wall of the nostril.

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
So are you talking about that little flap that is blocking the nose? That is normal and should never be pulled out. There is a piece of cartilage in their nose that lets them open and close their nose to protect from the environment. If they are under water or in a dust storm, it closes to protect from stuff getting in. When they shed and get "nose plugs" don't pull them out because you could accidentally pull that cartilage out.

I'm more concerned with side 2 because I don't see that flap there. It is either missing or he breathed in and it's laying flat against the wall of the nostril.
Gotcha. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow for a general check up and to have that looked at. I just want to make sure he’s as healthy as he can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep totally normal like Patsy said it's their flap to keep things out and they can open them pretty wide actually making it look like it's gone but it's there..There is a possibility that it can be "torn" out by accident in that case being aware of that so water and such doesn't get in there. The other area to be watchful is the VERY thin cartilage that is their ears and as this is very delicate.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yep totally normal like Patsy said it's their flap to keep things out and they can open them pretty wide actually making it look like it's gone but it's there..There is a possibility that it can be "torn" out by accident in that case being aware of that so water and such doesn't get in there. The other area to be watchful is the VERY thin cartilage that is their ears and as this is very delicate.

Yes, the ear cartilage is delicate too. I hate when they shed their ears, it always looks like it came off with the skin!

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
The nose structure sheds like a narrow tube, and inverted itself in the bath one time when Lizz were shedding. It scared the crap out of me, because she started showing the symptoms of a respitory infection and clear distress almost instantly. So I am being super watchfull now when she sheds her nose.