• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SO....regular light bulb vs heat bulb from pet stores???

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello ;)
I had just went out and got a 100 watt bulb from the pet store, not 3 days later in blew, so I put a 100 watt house bulb in " temporarily" till I got a chance to go to the pet store, ironically the house bulb kept the temp in his cage much better than the " pet store bulb " it has been 3 days now and storm has been much more active and eating better.....My question is, is it ok to keep the house bulb in there always?? Is it harmful at all?? Also at night I put an Infared bulb in, the temp drops to about 80 with it above where he normally basks, but last night I found him sleeping on the cooler side on the floor of his home, is this normal???
Thanks a bunch ;)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats all we use for heat is a house bulb 60wat and never anything at night

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the pet store bulbs are usually a tight beam meaning the beam of light is more concentrated into a smaller area for basking. as Bill said, regular household bulbs are just fine for basking areas as long as you also have a source of uvb. night time heat is not necessary unless temps fall into low 60's or below.

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok thanks, no our temps don't go down that Low, so I won't put the night light on tonight and see how it goes we have that reptisun 10 everyone talks about on here, eventually I will get a long one that goes across the entire viv!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
House hold bulbs here also use to use the petstore bulbs and had the same issues. never again

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
hi so we can put regular house light bulb? my basket light on my 40 gallon is 116.7 on my bd tank she or he is 3 to 4 month
please answer soon so i can fix the proplem is that to high and what size of watt would i use for the 40 gallon breeder tank

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi so we can put regular house light bulb? my basket light on my 40 gallon is 116.7 on my bd tank she or he is 3 to 4 month
please answer soon so i can fix the proplem is that to high and what size of watt would i use for the 40 gallon breeder tank

for basking yes you will also need a UVB

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i have a uvb light my temp under the basking light right now 116.7 is that to high? it a basking light from petsmart
if i can use a regular light bulb i have a 40w right will that work untill i get a 60w? and do you know if a regular house light bulb would work for a leopard gecko tank too for 20 gallon tall tank?

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally think I regular light bulb works for heat great! As long as you have a uv light with it, my temps have been great since I put a 75 watt bulb in! But I a new at this, but its def. Cheaper

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have a uvb light my temp under the basking light right now 116.7 is that to high? it a basking light from petsmart
if i can use a regular light bulb i have a 40w right will that work untill i get a 60w? and do you know if a regular house light bulb would work for a leopard gecko tank too for 20 gallon tall tank?

I like to stay under 110 you can try the 40 and see what the temp gets to ...leopard geckos are night time herps what are you using at night on them

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i am using a inferad light of a 50w
i have put the 40w house hold light in the bd and right now the basking temp is 100.0 in there right

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i am using a inferad light of a 50w
i have put the 40w house hold light in the bd and right now the basking temp is 100.0 in there right
I would stick to the infered for the geckos ...and you BD temp is good whats the cool side temp

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
just use the infered for the geckos even in the day time? my dragon is 3 or 4 months old doesn't it need 105 to 110 in the basking light and my cool side is 79 to 80 degrees i put 40w in my basking light a regular house light bulb and went up to 100degrees but goes down to 98 sometimes im going to go store and get some 60w tomorrow

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
we ran ours when it was cold during the day....

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
so do you say we don't need a day time light like a basking light, just use the infered bulb for the geckos?

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
can we use soft white light bulbs in the bd tank for the basking light

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
All the basking area has to do is produce heat. you can use a CHI any house hold bulb color doesnt matter, your just looking for heat. 60 75 100 whatt doesnt matter as long as you have the proper distance from bulb to basking area to acheive 110 F

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
i just put in a regular light in the bd tank 75 watt and the temp is only getting to a 106.3 maybe get up to 110 before long i guess