• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snuggly beardies!

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
So I was reading the thread about beardies that like soft things, how about we post stories/pictures about what items our dragons like to snuggle in to? Because they're cute and I like to go "aww!"

I've attached a picture of my baby Clarice hugging a dragon soft toy, she had a snooze wrapped around it like it was her best friend :-D

Attachments

• 532145_10100274133576521_152525683_n.jpg
    532145_10100274133576521_152525683_n.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,064

Pat B

Super Moderator
Too cute when a beardie snuggles....I doubt that my little Spike will every cuddle....it isn't the 'alpha' thing to do....LOL! :D

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
Too cute when a beardie snuggles....I doubt that my little Spike will every cuddle....it isn't the 'alpha' thing to do....LOL! :D
Haha! I know what you mean, I couldn't get my previous or current adult male to go for the soft toy snuggles. Jareth won't even let me wrap him up in a towel after his shower- he manages to wriggle out of it, then does a big manly display just incase anyone saw!

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
@Charley and NatashaOMG you guys,,, that is so freakin cute !!!! it made my heart melt lol.

@Pat B: My Steven is not too much on the snuggle side either. She's just a eating machine.

Edit: i wish my beardie would snuggle. D:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine snuggles with the following items: Me, her blanket, her bed which is an old pillow with a pillow case, did I say, me again? When she's ready for bed, she'll climb up her plants or waits for me to take her out. She'll cuddle up on me, under her blanket. Then she goes to sleep. :)

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
Mine snuggles with the following items: Me, her blanket, her bed which is an old pillow with a pillow case, did I say, me again? When she's ready for bed, she'll climb up her plants or waits for me to take her out. She'll cuddle up on me, under her blanket. Then she goes to sleep. :)
Pictures!!!! :-D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll try. But it's hard to get her pics of her cuddling, but I'll try and see if I can.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Awww isn't it so heart melting when your beardie snuggles with you??? I look forward to my night snuggling with him under my blanket where he curls up on my neck. It is absolutely priceless!!! So many people that I have talked to about Bearded Dragons don't believe me when I tell them they are affectionate and they snuggle! I feel so loved by him and I have since day 1 that I got him! He brings a smile to my face every morning and it feels so good to wake up and have the responsibility of taking care of them and knowing how much love you can give them! I also have 3 cats but as I am sure everyone knows, they are way more independent than Beardies, and want attention on their on time! If I am having a bad day I think about snuggle time with my beardie and I feel better!!! It's something that makes my day better and my mood and they are just incredible creatures!!!

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
So true, when I've had a rubbish day there's only one thing that will bring a smile to my face and that's the thought of what chaos I'll get back to when I see my dragons, they always end up in some kind of crazy mess/positions that make me laugh. I have friends that say, "why would you want them, they don't DO anything!" I can honestly say I have never had a boring day with these guys, they're always up to something!

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
I have to wrap Harry in his blanket, it was my daughter's receiving blanket when she was a baby, and rock him to sleep while cuddling. Then I put him in his bed on his pillow, I can't forget that, and make sure he is all covered up. I will take a pic in the morning before he wakes up so you all can see how SPOILED he really is, lol.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I have to wrap Harry in his blanket, it was my daughter's receiving blanket when she was a baby, and rock him to sleep while cuddling. Then I put him in his bed on his pillow, I can't forget that, and make sure he is all covered up. I will take a pic in the morning before he wakes up so you all can see how SPOILED he really is, lol.
That is adorable!!! For now my baby likes to sleep on his hammock. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can make him for a bed when he gets too big for the hammock??

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His basking Spot or on top of a hide on the cool side ...

My personal opinion of taking an originally wild animal, converting it's habitat into a Human nursery, treating them like a human Baby, rather than providing a more natural habitat is just wrong (I stress 'Personal Opinion'). They don't naturally have Blankies, pillows, toys,cushy beds &\or Mothers, nor do they need them. If anything, I feel that this is detrimental to the natural scheme of things & takes away their natural strengths, immunities & all round hardiness. Done for the keepers whims & enjoyment, to feel motherly, feel better about themselves, but not necessarily with the BD's best interests in mind. Remember that these are reptiles & should live like reptiles, not humans.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with you. I was told to put a piece of clothing in my beardie's viv to get him used to the scent of us. I did that. When I tried to take out the clothing I got hissed at so I left it in his viv. When Harry first started roaming around he would go over to the blanket and basically wrap himself in it on the living room floor and go to sleep. I thought it was cute, so I encouraged it not thinking anything if I was busy or not home to do it every night. He had something soft to lie on in his viv. Well tonight my family and I went out for dinner. We got back a little late and Harry was asleep in his viv all black . He opened his eyes when I moved closer to his viv and was talking so I probably woke him. He glared at me and I felt bad so I dared to reach my hand in and snuggle him for a minute to say goodnight, no blanket. He started to lighten up in color so I grabbed his blanket and put it over him on my chest. He was sound asleep in minutes and a very light sand color. I feel that even though they do not get this treatment in the wild when they become pets they like the affection and the comfort we "mom's" give them. Someone once told me that reptiles have no feelings and I am sorry but I do not believe that. I have seen the affection first hand with my 4 year old and Harry, me and Harry and others with their beardies.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We can read anything we want into their actions, read Humanizations into everything they do, but that doesn't make it necessarily so, because that is what we want to see & believe, because it makes us feel better.There are very good explanations for what you have described, but again if it makes you feel better to believe what you believe, all the more power to you. Your BD was dark when it was sleeping in it's cage, because it was cool & it's metabolism was slowed down, as it should be when it sleeps. BDs will, at times, periodically darken when cooler to absorb the available heat, it's part of their instinctive make up. You read that he glared at you, because you woke him out of a good sleep. You woke it, got its metabolism going, it lightened a bit, you put it on your chest & it was asleep in minutes, well, you had just woke him and it was sleep time. Had you picked it up & moved it to another part of the enclosure, it likely would have been asleep in minutes also, it was sleep time. It lightened more in color on your chest because it was absorbing some of your body heat, did not need to be darker. Again we can humanize & read whatever we want, that makes us feel better, into things. It is a proven scientific fact that they have a severely under developed portion of the brain that controls, among other things, emotion, rendering them incapable of love, loneliness & the many other emotions that we try to read into their actions. I am not going to debate this further, as again, people will read into actions whatever they want to believe, that makes them feel better about themselves & that is ok. There is no doubt that we all Love our BDs & I know better than to try & convince some people, particularly of the female persuasion ;), that their 'baby' is a reptile, is acting like a reptile, should live like a reptile & should be allowed to be 'A Reptile'. Been there, done that, many times over the years.

A good thread on the subject (On another Forum) ... One woman spent hours searching & researching to disprove the under developed portion of the brain statement. Came up with all sorts of info, much unrelated to reptiles or BDs. Then in the end, her searching proved the statement to be true.

Do YOU think Beardies Can Love You?