• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snakes in a 20 gallon tank?

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Reaching out for some opinions here. I have a 1 year old bearded dragon that will be moving into a bigger tank soon, leaving me with an empty 20 gallon tank. When deciding on a dragon from the start, I had a hard time deciding between a dragon or a snake. But now that I'll have an extra tank lying around I would like to put something in it eventually just so it's not sitting around collecting dust, but I would like something that's not going to outgrow the tank (to avoid running into the same situation). I would still like to have a snake, but after doing some research online I have a lot of mixed reviews about snake-to-tank sizes. Should I get a snake, I would be getting either a corn snake or a ball python (beginner friendly). Some websites tell me that a 20 gallon is perfect for these breeds, while others tell me to go bigger. What do you guys think? Also, are there suggestions for other beginner friendly reptiles out there that would be happy in a 20 gallon?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don’t know anything about snakes. I put a Pac-Man frog in my 20g. She’s not going to outgrow it.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Reaching out for some opinions here. I have a 1 year old bearded dragon that will be moving into a bigger tank soon, leaving me with an empty 20 gallon tank. When deciding on a dragon from the start, I had a hard time deciding between a dragon or a snake. But now that I'll have an extra tank lying around I would like to put something in it eventually just so it's not sitting around collecting dust, but I would like something that's not going to outgrow the tank (to avoid running into the same situation). I would still like to have a snake, but after doing some research online I have a lot of mixed reviews about snake-to-tank sizes. Should I get a snake, I would be getting either a corn snake or a ball python (beginner friendly). Some websites tell me that a 20 gallon is perfect for these breeds, while others tell me to go bigger. What do you guys think? Also, are there suggestions for other beginner friendly reptiles out there that would be happy in a 20 gallon?
sorry i didnt see this sooner! for a BP and a corn that is too small, they need a minimum of a 40 breeder. although, for BP’s (idk about corns) thats a good starting tank. itd take them a year or two to outgrow. but if you want something thatll stay in that forever, i recommend either a western hognose, or a kenyan sand boa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letreze

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree that you will eventually need a bigger tank but you are good for atleast a year with the 20 gallon. We have a bp and a corn and a dragon....lol

The bearded dragon is the most interactive by far. But as for snakes I would recommend the bp over the corn. Both are good but the bp is a lot calmer and is happy being still unlike the corn. You can’t go wrong with any of them.