• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleeping question

huberland

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just had a question concerning the sleeping habbits of my beardie. At night when his day lights get turned off and the night light gets turned on he will climb off his log, curve himself up against the glass and sleep like that all night. I was just wondering if this is abnormal, if it could cause him any harm, and if there is something I'm not doing right like providing a good enough place for him to sleep or something. It doesn't necessarily look comfortable, but I'm not a bearded dragon myself so I don't want to mess it up for him if it's something he likes.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Your beardie doesn't need a night light. If you don't have one, a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 hours off is a 'life saver'. You never have to worry about turning on and turning off. I have never ever worried about the way or how Spike sleeps. They can certainly sleep in funny positions and places. Right now, Spike is in brumation....he is in the corner with his head propped up onto the glass. Now....talk about a crink in the neck!! I just let him go and do his thing.

huberland

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only reason I have a night light for him is because my room tends to get pretty cold at night during the winter. The first night I had him I woke up to make sure he was alright and the temperature dropped to 60° only after a couple hours. I assumed it would only get colder so I put the black light on. I have heard good things about the timer, I just don't want him to get too cold. During the summer when my room turns into a sauna I don't think I would have a problem with them lol

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
There is no such thing as an abnormal sleeping position, you'll know soon enough. :D As for night lights, you shouldn't use them. Dragons can see any type of light and it will disrupt their sleep. I see a lot of people recommend ceramic heat emitters (or CHEs) for night heat, but being from Texas I don't know squat about them.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They sleep in such odd positions when they're little. Some sleep against the glass, lay on their basking spots with their back legs hanging down (Seem to not fall off), some lay flat out with their legs all out in sexy leg proses. (Mine does this with one leg or two and sleeps like a dog!).

There's another type of heater you can use. It's called a ceramic heat emitter. It's a heater that doesn't use or emit any type of light. Beardies need complete darkness to sleep soundly or they'll be grouchy little toddlers in the morning and give you their stink eyes every single time you pass them or feed them. (Mine gives the stink eye to her grandma all the time.) I don't know why but she doesn't like her grandma very much and will run away from her and try to 'huff' and 'puff her beard out'. Back to the CHE. You can find them on petmountain.com. They sell a bunch of reptile items you can use. (With the exception of bedding.)

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, Max does it too.

image.jpg

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Jethro wigged me out a few times with his funky sleeping positions. I'd just look at him like "Dude, how is that comfortable!?" and I swear he'd lift an eye up at me like, "I don't tell you how to sleep, don't tell me how to do it!" lol... such a stubborn kid, but as long as they get decent sleep, and stay warm throughout the night, then I don't mind. It dropped pretty cold last night, we warmed him up before bedtime with my Mom and her blanket.