• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleeping/not moving: juvenile (4-5 months), new beardie mom

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At the suggestion of some other people, I'm going to order him the Arcadia Desert Species 12% UVB T5 bulb to give him the best possible set up.
You have a good set up.the Arcadia's are good as well it's the bulb you have that's not as strong-- but you can use it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the 5.0 is equivalent to a T 8 so the distance for that would be 6-8 inches it's not as strong as the 10.0 bulb which is what you want--- you can use that bulb but you need to replace it in 6 months-- I recommend 5 then get the 10.0 bulb--- let's see what he does w/ the new basking bulb--- your lights should be good get you uvb in specs of 6-8 inches - he will bask alot and he will go to the light he needs - watch his behavior - his eating pooping and basking- if things have not improved in a few days you may need a vet visit but he's so young I hate to see him go in unless he's absolutely sick - let me know how it goes and if you do need a vet visit I will post a website to find a reptile vet in your area
How long is your fixture? The Arcadia bulb will fit your fixture as well I have the zoo med 24" in my tanks w/ the Arcadia 12% now

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the 5.0 is equivalent to a T 8 so the distance for that would be 6-8 inches it's not as strong as the 10.0 bulb which is what you want--- you can use that bulb but you need to replace it in 6 months-- I recommend 5 then get the 10.0 bulb--- let's see what he does w/ the new basking bulb--- your lights should be good get you uvb in specs of 6-8 inches - he will bask alot and he will go to the light he needs - watch his behavior - his eating pooping and basking- if things have not improved in a few days you may need a vet visit but he's so young I hate to see him go in unless he's absolutely sick - let me know how it goes and if you do need a vet visit I will post a website to find a reptile vet in your area
Thank you SO SO SO much for all your advice! I moved Bagels' new hammock higher up, so he's about 7 inches from the UVB. Temps are still holding fine. I did go ahead and order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO bulb that I will use to replace the one I have when it comes in.

He's basking in his hammock right now directly under the UVB. I have to go to my university for a while, but I will be back home later tonight and will provide an update. Leaving him with some collard greens, red bell pepper pieces, and freeze dried cricket salad (all three things he's shown he'll eat), since he didn't want to eat anything this morning.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you SO SO SO much for all your advice! I moved Bagels' new hammock higher up, so he's about 7 inches from the UVB. Temps are still holding fine. I did go ahead and order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO bulb that I will use to replace the one I have when it comes in.

He's basking in his hammock right now directly under the UVB. I have to go to my university for a while, but I will be back home later tonight and will provide an update. Leaving him with some collard greens, red bell pepper pieces, and freeze dried cricket salad (all three things he's shown he'll eat), since he didn't want to eat anything this morning.
Ok well let me know how he is doing --- the UVB and new basking light should improve his behavior etc ---- if it does not something else is going on --- keep me posted please -- and this is mainly the eye issue we are talking correct?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok well let me know how he is doing --- the UVB and new basking light should improve his behavior etc ---- if it does not something else is going on --- keep me posted please -- and this is mainly the eye issue we are talking correct?
The Lethargy as well, which is weird to me, but could be a symptom of the uvb?

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes but he should bounce back- is he eating?
Of course, he decided to become more alert as soon as I was stepping out my door... He jumped off the hammock, and I took the opportunity to hand feed him collard greens and release some roaches. He hunted down about 13 of them and made me late (it was so worth it).

Fast forward to several hours later, my partner was able to get him to eat another 15 roaches for dinner. He's pooped once (the lizard, not my partner), and we've been gently placing him directly under the UVB on the hammock (otherwise, not touching him). He's not active in any way, but he seems more orange and not as "floppy" as before. Eyes still constantly closed.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im guessing its the uvb output, the mvb is probably putting out to much in a concentrated stream and hurting his eyes, vs the tube light that spreads around the uvb, its good he’s eating, most of the time when a beardy is sickly its a uvb problem.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Of course, he decided to become more alert as soon as I was stepping out my door... He jumped off the hammock, and I took the opportunity to hand feed him collard greens and release some roaches. He hunted down about 13 of them and made me late (it was so worth it).

Fast forward to several hours later, my partner was able to get him to eat another 15 roaches for dinner. He's pooped once (the lizard, not my partner), and we've been gently placing him directly under the UVB on the hammock (otherwise, not touching him). He's not active in any way, but he seems more orange and not as "floppy" as before. Eyes still constantly closed.
You did get rid of the MVB correct? The eye closing if replaced constantly could be contributed to shed but we need to rule that out too ------ is it both eyes? Please post a pic of the eyes --- the color thing would be from the UVB - that is a good thing-- in what place are the eyes closed ? Under the basking light under the UVB both???? And when not under the lights are his eyes open then?

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
You did get rid of the MVB correct? The eye closing if replaced constantly could be contributed to shed but we need to rule that out too ------ is it both eyes? Please post a pic of the eyes --- the color thing would be from the UVB - that is a good thing-- in what place are the eyes closed ? Under the basking light under the UVB both???? And when not under the lights are his eyes open then?
Yes, I got rid of the MVB and bought him this bulb instead. His color is soooo much better, too, which I guess was a UVB thing. He looks a little dark in this pic, but he's significantly more orange than he has been in the past 3 days. He's bright orange when he hunts and remained orange all night. He got a little too dark after he climbed up the branch to bask and wasn't quite close enough to the UVB (so I placed him on the hammock).

When I turned on his lights this morning, he opened his eyes. He has also periodically opened them when there's movement near him, or he hears something outside. He's definitely much more alert that he has been! Still pretty lethargic, but I don't really want him jumping all over the tank right now since the top of the branch and hammock are the only places where he can be 6-8 inches from the UVB... Waiting for the Reptisun 10.0 to come in, since I had to order it online (none of the stores in my area had any). Should take 3-5 days to get here.

Could the eye thing be related to the UVB deficiency?
Or was the all in one MVB just too bright for his little eyes?

new light.jpg
eye.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I got rid of the MVB and bought him this bulb instead. His color is soooo much better, too, which I guess was a UVB thing. He looks a little dark in this pic, but he's significantly more orange than he has been in the past 3 days. He's bright orange when he hunts and remained orange all night. He got a little too dark after he climbed up the branch to bask and wasn't quite close enough to the UVB (so I placed him on the hammock).

When I turned on his lights this morning, he opened his eyes. He has also periodically opened them when there's movement near him, or he hears something outside. He's definitely much more alert that he has been! Still pretty lethargic, but I don't really want him jumping all over the tank right now since the top of the branch and hammock are the only places where he can be 6-8 inches from the UVB... Waiting for the Reptisun 10.0 to come in, since I had to order it online (none of the stores in my area had any). Should take 3-5 days to get here.

Could the eye thing be related to the UVB deficiency?
Or was the all in one MVB just too bright for his little eyes?

View attachment 27815View attachment 27816
Your lighting is great and I see nothing wrong w/ his eye--not even shed- dragons will close their eyes when basking which is what iam thinking he's doing- your uvb is considered one of the safe lights - when your T 5 comes in or you change it out the distance will go to 12-15 inches directly above his basking decor

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your lighting is great and I see nothing wrong w/ his eye--not even shed- dragons will close their eyes when basking which is what iam thinking he's doing- your uvb is considered one of the safe lights - when your T 5 comes in or you change it out the distance will go to 12-15 inches directly above his basking decor
He really does seem more alert, healthier colored, and all around feeling better (not active yet, but definitely more aware and reactive to his surroundings).

Thank you (Sadie) and Skybug as well for giving me advice and helping heal my baby dragon! I'm am eternally grateful for y'all! I'll keep posting updates for a few days as he recovers, and another update after the Reptisun 10.0 is installed.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh he’s looking alot better, alert, colorful :) im glad it wasn’t something serious, it might take him a day or two to bounce back , so dont be alarmed if hes still a lil groggy.

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update on Bagels:

Doing much better! He's more active, especially between the hours of 5-6 PM (I usually feed him dinner at that time, as well). He basks a LOT of the day, but he's completely, 100% alert and curious about the sounds he hears outside. He still keeps his eyes closed about 65% of the time when he's basking.

He's eating collard greens in the morning and ~14 dubia roaches per feeding, twice a day (with one feeding dusted; pic of the Ca+D3 that I'm using. He doesn't LOVE the Ca+D3 supplement, but he puts up with it). Only pooping once a day, but they seem like healthy poops. I got him a nice dessert background, b/c he seemed to get stressed by his reflection on the back of the tank.

With the lighting issue fixed, I believe he's going to make a full recovery!
Bagels does still have stress lines (see pics), but I'm guessing those will settle down once he's totally acclimated to his new home... (?)

Ca+.jpg
6-18(1).jpg
6-18(2).jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update on Bagels:

Doing much better! He's more active, especially between the hours of 5-6 PM (I usually feed him dinner at that time, as well). He basks a LOT of the day, but he's completely, 100% alert and curious about the sounds he hears outside. He still keeps his eyes closed about 65% of the time when he's basking.

He's eating collard greens in the morning and ~14 dubia roaches per feeding, twice a day (with one feeding dusted; pic of the Ca+D3 that I'm using. He doesn't LOVE the Ca+D3 supplement, but he puts up with it). Only pooping once a day, but they seem like healthy poops. I got him a nice dessert background, b/c he seemed to get stressed by his reflection on the back of the tank.

With the lighting issue fixed, I believe he's going to make a full recovery!
Bagels does still have stress lines (see pics), but I'm guessing those will settle down once he's totally acclimated to his new home... (?)

View attachment 27852View attachment 27853View attachment 27854
Good basking temps and good UVB he will do good

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hes looking exceptional! , sometimes the stress lines appear even though its not related to stress, they look normal to me, however if they get darker than his backside, it could be attributed to stress, i think in this case its just part of his “dark phase”
This was my girl when she was but a wee thing, she had stress lines in the morning, and they lightened up when she warmed up.

Attachments

• B5B8B97D-5155-4B93-B6D0-D9C03C679471.jpeg
    B5B8B97D-5155-4B93-B6D0-D9C03C679471.jpeg
    641.6 KB · Views: 7