• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleeping/not moving: juvenile (4-5 months), new beardie mom

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
1.jpg
tank.jpg

Hello, everyone! Meet Bagels. He's a 4-5 month old red morph I just got 6 days ago. I'm an excited and completely obsessed new beardie mom, and have done a ton of reading about these little dragons. But I'm still worried!

I'm hoping someone might ease my fears a bit regarding Bagels' behavior recently. Since I've had him, he's been an absolute joy. He explores his tank and is very comfortable being held (even falls asleep in your hands). The first few days, his viv ambient temp and basking spot were a bit too cold, and it took a full day to get the tube UVA/UBV light to work (the basking heat lamp also provides some UVA and UVB). But honestly, he seemed fine. After about 3 days of barely touching anything I tried to feed him, he started devouring mealworms and dubia roaches, and even ate some collard greens! I thought he was adjusting tremendously well!

Yesterday and today, however, his behavior is concerning me dearly. He was more lethargic throughout the day, and did not splash around in his warm bath yesterday like he did the day before. Then, after a meal of 13 small dubia roaches in the evening yesterday, he climbed on his log and slept from about 7 PM to 10 AM this morning. I was so worried about him not moving whatsoever or opening his eyes for so long (even with me banging around his viv to get him fresh water, clean his food bowl, turn on his lights, and adjust his basking light) that I decided to pick him up and place him on his basking spot. He barely opened his eyes and adjusted his body some when I moved him.

He's not moved most of the day (jumped down to eat a small amount of greens and opens his eyes when I tap the branch he's on)... This is NOT AT ALL how he acted the first 4 days he's lived with me. I'm so worried about him! Is he just stressed/tired from a growth spurt and being in a new environment? SHOULD I be worried?! I love him so much already; please tell me this is normal behavior!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 27794View attachment 27795

Hello, everyone! Meet Bagels. He's a 4-5 month old red morph I just got 6 days ago. I'm an excited and completely obsessed new beardie mom, and have done a ton of reading about these little dragons. But I'm still worried!

I'm hoping someone might ease my fears a bit regarding Bagels' behavior recently. Since I've had him, he's been an absolute joy. He explores his tank and is very comfortable being held (even falls asleep in your hands). The first few days, his viv ambient temp and basking spot were a bit too cold, and it took a full day to get the tube UVA/UBV light to work (the basking heat lamp also provides some UVA and UVB). But honestly, he seemed fine. After about 3 days of barely touching anything I tried to feed him, he started devouring mealworms and dubia roaches, and even ate some collard greens! I thought he was adjusting tremendously well!

Yesterday and today, however, his behavior is concerning me dearly. He was more lethargic throughout the day, and did not splash around in his warm bath yesterday like he did the day before. Then, after a meal of 13 small dubia roaches in the evening yesterday, he climbed on his log and slept from about 7 PM to 10 AM this morning. I was so worried about him not moving whatsoever or opening his eyes for so long (even with me banging around his viv to get him fresh water, clean his food bowl, turn on his lights, and adjust his basking light) that I decided to pick him up and place him on his basking spot. He barely opened his eyes and adjusted his body some when I moved him.

He's not moved most of the day (jumped down to eat a small amount of greens and opens his eyes when I tap the branch he's on)... This is NOT AT ALL how he acted the first 4 days he's lived with me. I'm so worried about him! Is he just stressed/tired from a growth spurt and being in a new environment? SHOULD I be worried?! I love him so much already; please tell me this is normal behavior!
Your uvb is a T 5 correct? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or wide hole type? The placement and distance is imperative --- your basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- those things I just mentioned are crucial to his overall health and behavior-- you need a piece of decor directly underneath the UVB but the distance will depend on the screen - he will go thru relocation stress his eating will be off - once you get the UVB properly placed and basking temps will correct the behavior- the long stick piece will be fine for now but as he grows he won't be able to navigate very well on it- it's too skinny- I can post things for diet for him tomorrow but first we need to get the UVB situated

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your uvb is a T 5 correct? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or wide hole type? The placement and distance is imperative --- your basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- those things I just mentioned are crucial to his overall health and behavior-- you need a piece of decor directly underneath the UVB but the distance will depend on the screen - he will go thru relocation stress his eating will be off - once you get the UVB properly placed and basking temps will correct the behavior- the long stick piece will be fine for now but as he grows he won't be able to navigate very well on it- it's too skinny- I can post things for diet for him tomorrow but first we need to get the UVB situated
Yes, it is a T5! I currently don't have the top of the tank on (and haven't all day), but it is fairly fine-holed, metal mesh. He often lays on the branch under both lights (close to where he is in the tank picture, but a little higher up). The basking spot is 108.9, ambient temp on hot side is 86.1, and 82.2 on the cool side. Do you think the UVB light is too high up...?

His appetite today was pretty good! He ate some collard greens and 18 dubia roaches. Going to offer him a few more roaches and maybe mealworms dusted in about two hours. He had one large poop today (his normal routine, so far) after spending a few minutes soaking.

Still very lethargic, but opening his eyes more than he was earlier.

Thank you SO MUCH for replying! I plan to adjust his decor over the coming weeks as he gets more used to living in his new home. Definitely need a larger/flatter basking spot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it is a T5! I currently don't have the top of the tank on (and haven't all day), but it is fairly fine-holed, metal mesh. He often lays on the branch under both lights (close to where he is in the tank picture, but a little higher up). The basking spot is 108.9, ambient temp on hot side is 86.1, and 82.2 on the cool side. Do you think the UVB light is too high up...?

His appetite today was pretty good! He ate some collard greens and 18 dubia roaches. Going to offer him a few more roaches and maybe mealworms dusted in about two hours. He had one large poop today (his normal routine, so far) after spending a few minutes soaking.

Still very lethargic, but opening his eyes more than he was earlier.

Thank you SO MUCH for replying! I plan to adjust his decor over the coming weeks as he gets more used to living in his new home. Definitely need a larger/flatter basking spot.
Please no more meal worms babies stomachs are not able to handle the exoskeleton on them +- distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches unobstructed- the fine mesh screen will haft to.stay off or the UVB will need to go inside the tank--- and it needs to be directly over the basking decor---only dust the roaches once per feeding-- temps are good

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im thinking the uvb needs to be moved to the left a little as well…. He should be going crazy moving poopin and running around, do u have a backup bulb? Sometimes they can be a dud, id check that aswell.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I also love ur huge rocks, but i am a little concerned though, id move them on the floor so they cant shift or move, itd be a shame if somehow they moved and squished him,….

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please no more meal worms babies stomachs are not able to handle the exoskeleton on them +- distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches unobstructed- the fine mesh screen will haft to.stay off or the UVB will need to go inside the tank--- and it needs to be directly over the basking decor---only dust the roaches once per feeding-- temps are good
Oh, poor baby! He has pooped twice since giving them to him, so I'm hoping that means he's digested them alright. I'll get rid of the rest of the mealworms. Are there other worms he can eat? Silkworms, maybe? After the one feeding yesterday, he wasn't interested in food anymore...

The UBV tube is about 10 inches from the spot he basks in most (top of branch), and 15-17 inches from the lower part of the branch. I intend on leaving the top of the tank off permanently. I don't think he can escape, and I have no kids or other animals that would bother him. I can't shift the UBV to the left, as the round heat lamp is in the way. The pic I'm including in this reply is the round lamp. It does provide some UBV, as well.

lamp.jpg

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also love ur huge rocks, but i am a little concerned though, id move them on the floor so they cant shift or move, itd be a shame if somehow they moved and squished him,….
Yes, they're not going to stay in there for much longer. They ended up being kind of a transition-decor before I got the the branch for him to get closer to the lamps. I plan on ordering a hammock for him to climb up to bask on (since he will outgrow his stick) as well as a hide to replace the rocks on the right side.

The rocks are remarkably stable, though! I've tested it several times (shaking them around with my hands, bumping into the table, etc.), and I truly don't think they'll fall.

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
He still seems VERY lethargic today... Hasn't moved at all from his sleeping perch for about 14 hours. He did open his eyes when I turned on the lights this morning (which he did not do yesterday). I don't know what else to do for him :(

f.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea somethings not quite right, hes In his dark phase (trying to absorb heat and uvb) the mvb (all in one) its brand new?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Mvb are hit or miss sometimes, his eyes being closed are a giveaway, to what im not shure, usually they close their eyes when the light is to harsh, can u take him out and get a picture of his eyes

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
I picked him up, and he barely wanted to open his eyes at all. I moved him to his basking spot to warm him up... The all in one round lamp is brand new, as is the T5 UVB.

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He still seems VERY lethargic today... Hasn't moved at all from his sleeping perch for about 14 hours. He did open his eyes when I turned on the lights this morning (which he did not do yesterday). I don't know what else to do for him :(

View attachment 27800
What is the distance of the mvb? And I would swap out that mvb to rule that out as cause for now -- please get a bright white basking bulb watch your temp

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the distance of the mvb? And I would swap out that mvb to rule that out as cause for now -- please get a bright white basking bulb watch your temp
The all in one MVB is about 9 inches from the basking spot on the branch. I will go to the pet store to get him a bright white basking bulb. Is there anything else I should look for in a bulb? Or that might help him...?

Edit: He turned his nice orange color and moved his head a little bit after I moved him up the branch to his basking spot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The all in one MVB is about 9 inches from the basking spot on the branch. I will go to the pet store to get him a bright white basking bulb. Is there anything else I should look for in a bulb? Or that might help him...?

Edit: He turned his nice orange color and moved his head a little bit after I moved him up the branch to his basking spot.
Your T 5 directly above basking decor 12-15 inches and a good bright white basking bulb solid bulb no coil bulb is going to be efficient just make sure you have correct temp-+ we need to rule that mvb out for issues

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, I got him a new basking light and set up his tank differently. Can hide under dino bones (left side) and plastic rock bridge (right side behind water rock bowl). UVB tube is 9.5 inches from hammock and 13 inches from branch. Temps are fine with the new light. Lights adjusted so he can be under both at the same time. He still doesn't want to move or keep his eyes open for more than a few seconds...

Someone from a different group suggested I have the wrong UVB tube bulb, because you can't use the bulbs that come in the T5 fixture... ?????

new light.jpg
b3.jpg
new tank.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I got him a new basking light and set up his tank differently. Can hide under dino bones (left side) and plastic rock bridge (right side behind water rock bowl). UVB tube is 9.5 inches from hammock and 13 inches from branch. Temps are fine with the new light. Lights adjusted so he can be under both at the same time. He still doesn't want to move or keep his eyes open for more than a few seconds...

Someone from a different group suggested I have the wrong UVB tube bulb, because you can't use the bulbs that come in the T5 fixture... ?????

View attachment 27803View attachment 27804View attachment 27805
A T 8 bulb will not fit a T 5 fixture-- a T 5 fixture is 24" or longer a T 8 is usually a 18 or 20" fixture - how long is your fixture--? For a T 5 bulb it needs to be 12-15 inches from decor anything less than 12" is too close- look on your bulb it will tell you - look for T 5 or T 8

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the UVB bulb I have. Looks like a Respitsun 5.0, which I'm guessing is a T5.
Fixture is definitely longer than 24 inches.

uvb.jpg

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
At the suggestion of some other people, I'm going to order him the Arcadia Desert Species 12% UVB T5 bulb to give him the best possible set up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the UVB bulb I have. Looks like a Respitsun 5.0, which I'm guessing is a T5.
Fixture is definitely longer than 24 inches.

View attachment 27806
Ok the 5.0 is equivalent to a T 8 so the distance for that would be 6-8 inches it's not as strong as the 10.0 bulb which is what you want--- you can use that bulb but you need to replace it in 6 months-- I recommend 5 then get the 10.0 bulb--- let's see what he does w/ the new basking bulb--- your lights should be good get you uvb in specs of 6-8 inches - he will bask alot and he will go to the light he needs - watch his behavior - his eating pooping and basking- if things have not improved in a few days you may need a vet visit but he's so young I hate to see him go in unless he's absolutely sick - let me know how it goes and if you do need a vet visit I will post a website to find a reptile vet in your area