• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleeping Habits

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So my dragon Ody sleeps on the rock wall every night; and he will go up there hours before bed and just hang out there for hours; He's never had issues holding on; and to be completely honest I am flat impressed that he can hold on while sleeping....

I moved up the Hammock to let him have the option of laying up higher if it was too low or something; but it still seems he wants to sleep on the rock wall; every night in the same place ever since I got him. He climbs up there; and shoves his face in the crack and sleeps....

20160501_173640_001.jpg
20160501_173642.jpg
20160501_173651.jpg
20160501_173705.jpg
20160501_173724.jpg

I've wanted to remove that rock wall; but it seems....he may become distraught and I wouldn't want to take his favorite safe spot away....

Anyone have had experienced this behavior? He does go into that box hide very rarely; but he likes going in and up the ramp....but he will not sleep on the ground.

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
How old is yours? Mine did that when he was yonger, sort of similar!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 132

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How old is yours? Mine did that when he was yonger, sort of similar!
I am not 100% sure but I have a good guesstimate of about either just under or 3 monthish...

I got him at about 6-7inches and I last measured him at ~10"

**Edit**

I got this ticker on my sig to keep track of his age haha....

Also your pic is awesome; it's like an optical illusion; either that or my eyes are just terrible. haha

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yours is cute all hanging on to the wall like that lol I wouldn't remove the rock wall. :)
Thanks :) yeah...I don't want to upset him; it seems like his safety zone; every night since a little over a month he goes to the same spot and sticks his face in the crack and sleeps there....

I need to get some sort of rock in there though; he has daggers for nails right now....I don't want to clip em personally; I'd rather he file them naturally...I've got an epic scratch down my shoulder when he made a run for my back when I was about to give him a bath...

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
Aww yeah it's still a baby! That was when mine liked the wall. He only did it when I would turn out the lights too!

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, yes I know! Mine has my arms scratched up from climbing up my arm! A rock is a good idea for filing! I have clipped his with baby nail snippers

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, yes I know! Mine has my arms scratched up from climbing up my arm! A rock is a good idea for filing! I have clipped his with baby nail snippers
I have a cat and cutting his nails is a freaking nightmare....and he is huge.....now a tiny baby dragon who doesn't sit still by default with teeny tiny daggers for nails.....no thanks lol...I'm going to be replacing the repti-carpet soon; and at that time ill install some slate or some kind of stone for him to run around and file those nails on...cause i'm sure the foam rock wall it just nice to sink those little daggers in...

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
I have a cat and cutting his nails is a freaking nightmare....and he is huge.....now a tiny baby dragon who doesn't sit still by default with teeny tiny daggers for nails.....no thanks lol...I'm going to be replacing the repti-carpet soon; and at that time ill install some slate or some kind of stone for him to run around and file those nails on...cause i'm sure the foam rock wall it just nice to sink those little daggers in...
That's a good idea! Thanks! He was standing up on his wood against the wall

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Young dragons can be very interesting and goofy most times lol I think once he is bigger he won't do that anymore..but maybe I'm wrong lol Maybe trial different hides? or maybe make a wood ramp with a ledge up where he likes to sleep.. I can't imagine he gets very good rest having to hold on all the time.
I wait to trim Izzy's nails when she's asleep for the night on my lap :) way easier with their toes being so small it takes me time to make sure I don't get her quick.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's what I thought....must be exhausting...holding on like that...but sure enough every morning he wakes, and comes down over to his ledge for breakfast...I'll see about different hides. What do you use if you don't mind my curiosity. Boxes worked for my snake but maybe it's not viable for a dragon.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Izzy has 2 half logs one on each side of her tank. She falls asleep on my lap and when we go to bed I put her under her cool hide log and that's where she is in the am...

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3989b60383555b42eec38b04a167f534.jpg

06c41df65039212acf8fc833c4980e8c.jpg

Bayne sleeps anyway possible with us and in his enclosure, he has three favorite spots:
115acbe9bbe2bd4cda5e8f9ea30ff136.jpg

1. Curled up in a blanket
62a2eb1940e1692a8edada48d382c371.jpg

2. There are no words for this (No, we no longer have the red light.)
c05438324133882ea5ac1cdc0edca0b0.jpg

3. On his pillow. Which I am no longer allowed to touch. He doesn't like when it needs to be washed[emoji14]

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd like to put some soft things into odins enclosure for him to lay on; however I am worried that the blankets and such will get stuck to his spikes; lol...he is sooo spiky....it's insane...I put a loose napkin over his head last night and it got stuck to him...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd like to put some soft things into odins enclosure for him to lay on; however I am worried that the blankets and such will get stuck to his spikes; lol...he is sooo spiky....it's insane...I put a loose napkin over his head last night and it got stuck to him...
I've found that baby burp cloths work really well for being really soft and not sticking to those spikes (Izzy is really spikey too) I got mine at Walmart. They are not the terry cloth ones so no little loops it's almost like super soft fleece, its really tight weave cotton.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've found that baby burp cloths work really well for being really soft and not sticking to those spikes (Izzy is really spikey too) I got mine at Walmart. They are not the terry cloth ones so no little loops it's almost like super soft fleece, its really tight weave cotton.
We even use the old fabric diapers for Bayne! Theyre a really soft light weight material but they don't stick to him. That blanket he's curled up in, in the picture does stick to his spikes but he does this wiggle thing with his body to move through it and it doesn't seem to bother him. Tim (my boyfriend) hand sewed the pillow for Bayne using spider wire fish line and he knotted every time he made a loop through the fabric so there were no loose ends. Bayne doesn't even look for any though. He reminds me of a child with a baby (security) blanket when it comes to that pillow. When I take him out to clean his tank and I put the pillow on the bed next to him, he lunges on it like "This is mine! Don't touch!" Lol! I told Tim he's going to have to make a bigger one before Bayne gets too big for his. We also did the same for the pet carrier we bought for him, only the top of that pillow has little pockets for his hand warmers.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looks like i'm going to have to go online baby shopping....

It'd be way too strange to go to a store...

I am thinking about getting rid of the amazon hide box and putting a comfy "lounge" type hide there...

I'd really like a pillow for him; but I am not crafty; so I will need to see if there is something I can find.

I like the pillow you guys made Bayne! From the pic he sure looks to like it a lot
----------------------------
I started taking him off the wall when the lights go out and putting him on the hammock and he's started sleeping on the hammock!!

He still goes over to the rock side and sticks his head in the hole but he is not going back onto the wall; so happy that he's sleeping horizontally now!

As stated above; I am sure he's sleeping much better now that he subconsciously doesn't have to think about holding onto the wall.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
On Amazon they sell beardie lounge beds/chairs but they're expensive. That's where we got the idea. Lol

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You weren't kidding they are 35 bucks haha...for a tiny mattress and tiny pillows....