1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!
  1. Dolomites Mom

Dolomites Mom Bearded Dragon Egg

So Dolomite is a little over a year. In the past few weeks he has decided to snuggle up to me & then fall asleep and when I move him back to the enclosure he sleeps for a few days. He is not super hungry when he wakes up but still enjoying his carrot tops and some worms. He gets fed fresh veggies & live foods. He is enjoying his baths when awake too. He hangs out in the windows getting fresh sun light when I do things around the house.

These are few shots of him.

Is this normal? Should I take him to the vet to check him out? Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Hatchling Dragon

No he should be basking for at least 4 hrs per day - what kind of lighting do you have in the tank --- can you post pics of his tank and lighting to see what is going on here
    kaylyn
  3. Dolomites Mom

Thank you for any advice. This is him currently. Been asleep for two days in his panda. The jungle rope has the UB light & the fake limb has his red & white heat lights. In next weeks he is getting a upgrade to a larger enclosure. No sand and the black specks are from the rope.

Attached Files:

4. kaylynangel

5. kaylynangel

Ok good your upgrading his tank to what size? I am going to give you alot of info so please dont be overwhelmed --- we will start w/ the UVB -- this is what is recommended for UVB
    Which UVB light should I use?
    The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please replace ASAP-- this is and can be the cause for him sleeping so much and he cannot digest his food properly as well --
    Next substrate - alot of people use textured non adhesive shelf liner- it is cheap and can be bought at Home Depot Lowes or a local hardware store- the insects cannot get underneath and it can be cleaned w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle -- you can also go w/ ceramic tile - you would need to have it cut to tank size so I would recommend you dont do it if your going to be changing tanks out again- it too is also cheap and can be purchased at the stores listed above and cleaned the same way--
    Next get rid of the red light --- it can cause damage to his eyes and it disturbs their sleep- they need darkness like you and I-- replace w/ a CHE - ceramic heat emitter NO LIGHT if you need extra heat - the only lights you need in the tank are a good UVB mounted inside the tank and depending on the bulb a T 8 or T 5 regarding distance- a good bright white basking bulb -- that keeps your basking temp to 95-105 for adults and 100-110 for babies--- if you want extra light like on the cool side of tank use a regular household bulb like a 60 watt -
    Temps should be taken w/a Infrared heat gun for the most accurate basking temp - they can be purchased at Walmart Lowes Home Depot for around $10-- I would put a digital probe on the cool side of tank and it should be around 80's in the day and not below 65 at nite -- I am going to post a pic of my tank so you can see it and how its set up the dome in the middle of the tank is a CHE -- it is used in the winter -- [​IMG] -- the light dome on the far right is a regular house hold bulb--- please get your lighting changed out and you will notice a difference in the behavior of him --- and please ditch the red bulb---
    kaylyn
  6. The Lizard Lady

The Lizard Lady Bearded Dragon Egg

^ I second all of this! Beautiful baby
  7. Dolomites Mom

Thank you for the advice. I am digesting the info and making the changes. Right now he is in his outside enclosure getting some sun. We don’t use pesticides & I can monitor him so it’s a very safe. He is stretched out & awake. I do live in a area that is one of the top vet school in the world (they have saved so many of my pets including a dog with leukemia) & if he is not feeling better in next few days I will take him in.

Going to do some amazon shopping right now to see how we can meet his needs better.
    Beertruck likes this.
  8. kaylynangel

9. kaylynangel

I would do the changing w/ the bulbs etc and see what he does before going to the vet---- if his behavior doesnt change and your still having issues then take him in and please take a fecal w/ you so they can check for parasites/ worms-- and get a copy of your visit so you have it for your records
    kaylyn