• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

skinny tail

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I posted some pictures about a month ago of Slyder with a big belly and asked if this was ok. Francis pointed out that his tail was skinny tail and we determined the tail was thin because I was bulking him up after almost being starved to death. But now my question is, how long until his tail fills out? It has gained some fat but not much. How long should it take him to gain the fat in his tail? If he does not gain fat in his tail what could be some of the reasons for this? When would it be time to take him to the vet?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
There's no definite answer Sandra, if he is eating, shedding and gaining weight then there should'nt be major concerns. The tails are fat storages so the young ones do have a bit of a skinnier tail than the adults as they burn off the fat really. If there is an improvement in tail girth then you are doing fine.
You can try giving him a high silkworm diet.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I will try silkworms. He is eating really good. I have doubled the amount of veggies I was feeding and he is still eating them all. He is also eating 60-120 crix a day. I just want to make sure he is ok since he had such a hard start to life. He shed twice in a month and growing about half an inch to over an inch a week and gaining weight steadily. I am such a worry wort with him.