• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sign of MBD?

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I apologize in advance for the length of this but there's a lot to explain and I'm really worried. I got my baby bearded dragon from a chain pet shop back in June (I realize now that you shouldn't buy from chains and now only purchase my animals from expos so don't get mad) and everything was fine for a good month. Then I noticed she started walking on her wrists when going after crickets and such. I did some research and found out that I had a compact uvb bulb and a tube light was better so I switched to the tube and also bought calcium without d3 because I read that symptoms of mbd can be similar to d3 overdose. To this day I don't really understand when and when not to use d3 so I just use w/ d3 1-2 times a week and the rest w/o d3 and multivitamin 1-2 times a week. I started to see some improvement but when I put her down from handling she will still just sit there for a couple minutes standing wrists and close to the ground but has a good stance when she moves to go bask. She runs after dubias just fine and I have noticed nothing else that worries me. Can someone just let me know if this is common in young bearded dragons to rest on their wrists or fingers or have their legs against their stomach ( she does this too) when you put them down? I got her when she was about 2 months around 7 inches now she is about 5 months, 12 inches in length.
ff3ba4cb3a8c0ebcb13a2b3d40839ff2.jpg
a363ad60d8cb9f970ad47bd0ec89c5c5.jpg
180a258d5597adb223c9bdb1f93cb400.jpg
1d6afada753884df4b8751b5e2e62f50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is not a normal stance and looks like MBD to me, have you had your dragon seen by a reptile vet?? If not you should have her seen and have them do some bloodwork and xrays to see what her calcium levels are.. She could have some neurological issues going on since she is walking on her wrists..

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so it might be something besides mbd? Like something she was born with?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay so it might be something besides mbd? Like something she was born with?

So has she always done this from the very beginning??

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
So has she always done this from the very beginning??
Yes I started noticing it not long after I got her because when I first got her she wouldn't even eat in front of me because she was so skittish

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I started noticing it not long after I got her because when I first got her she wouldn't even eat in front of me because she was so skittish

It's possible it's a birth defect, it's possible it's MBD due to UVB bulb, it could be neurological.. Getting her seen by a reptile vet is really important to get baseline info and also diagnosis of what may be the issue.. xrays can really show MBD...

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's possible it's a birth defect, it's possible it's MBD due to UVB bulb, it could be neurological.. Getting her seen by a reptile vet is really important to get baseline info and also diagnosis of what may be the issue.. xrays can really show MBD...
Okay thanks a lot I'll make an appt asap, whatever it is I hope its reversible.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
MBD is not reversible but you can stop it's progression. So if she has damage already from it, she will still walk like that. I agree that a vet visit and a blood workup, along with a adendovirous test would be a good start.