• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Boy Please help

Izzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, we have had our izzy for 6 years now. She was about 3 when we got her. She has always been healthy, but this week she has been black and sluggish. She stays in our screened porch during the day and inside at night. There are no exotic vets near us, and other vets will be closed by the time we drive the 2+ hours. So please don't bash me for our location. His breathing seems to be labored. I am concerned that he has gotten bitten by something on the porch or ate something that has made him sick. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do for him?
A few things. Yes, we know it's a boy, so no eggs.
And yes, he has been pooping, earlier in the week it was straight black, like mud.
he gets worms 1-2 times a week and veggies the other times. He has not eaten good since Monday.

Attachments

• 20210406_190718.jpg
    20210406_190718.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210406_190226.jpg
    20210406_190226.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, we have had our izzy for 6 years now. She was about 3 when we got her. She has always been healthy, but this week she has been black and sluggish. She stays in our screened porch during the day and inside at night. There are no exotic vets near us, and other vets will be closed by the time we drive the 2+ hours. So please don't bash me for our location. His breathing seems to be labored. I am concerned that he has gotten bitten by something on the porch or ate something that has made him sick. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do for him?
A few things. Yes, we know it's a boy, so no eggs.
And yes, he has been pooping, earlier in the week it was straight black, like mud.
he gets worms 1-2 times a week and veggies the other times. He has not eaten good since Monday.
The screened porch does it have any type of unfiltered sun? My guess if not he is sick from lack of UVB- UVB and correct basking temps of 95-110 are the most two important things he needs-- and if he's not getting either one this would be the cause-- let's start w/ that and if that is up to par then maybe parasites could be a reason - he needs a staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches bsfl or silk worms -- what worms are you feeding?

Izzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
The screened porch does it have any type of unfiltered sun? My guess if not he is sick from lack of UVB- UVB and correct basking temps of 95-110 are the most two important things he needs-- and if he's not getting either one this would be the cause-- let's start w/ that and if that is up to par then maybe parasites could be a reason - he needs a staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches bsfl or silk worms -- what worms are you feeding?
Thank you for responding.The entire porch is screened, but we do take him out of it sometimes. If that's not daily, then im assuming it's not enough? We did not always have the porch and used the lights prior to living here.
We feed super worms. We are in Florida.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for responding.The entire porch is screened, but we do take him out of it sometimes. If that's not daily, then im assuming it's not enough? We did not always have the porch and used the lights prior to living here.
He needs at least 4 hours everyday of actual basking--- the basking temps start digestion and the UVB helps absorb/ synethsize the calcium he eats- I would recommend you get him back in his tank w/ his UVB and that should be a long tube fixture-- I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 placed inside the tank w/ a distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- a bright white basking bulb w/ temps 95-110

Izzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
He needs at least 4 hours everyday of actual basking--- the basking temps start digestion and the UVB helps absorb/ synethsize the calcium he eats- I would recommend you get him back in his tank w/ his UVB and that should be a long tube fixture-- I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 placed inside the tank w/ a distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- a bright white basking bulb w/ temps 95-110
Ok. We have the setup. We have the tube uvb, not the small bulb.
We have had him in the porch like this for 6 months though. Could this have been a slow build up? The sun does come through the porch, but through the screen first.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I live in Florida and have a screened in deck with plants that i let my beardie roam around in, it definitely looks like he has dirt on his chin, what kind of plants and dirt are in your , could you possibly post a picture of the room if its not to personal, if he got into a toxic plant and its been a couple days since then idk what you’d then do im sorry :( , try to keep him hydrated and feed him veg if you can so we can flush out any chemicals from the dirt/plant, most dirt out here have fertilizers in them, I recommend “black cow” as fertilizer rather than potting soil with man made chemicals.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
We have had him in the porch like this for 6 months though. Could this have been a slow build up? The sun does come through the porch, but through the screen first.
He’s getting enough sun, what part of FL are u in? Im in central and in the horse country (so lots of sand not much grass)

Izzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live in Florida and have a screened in deck with plants that i let my beardie roam around in, it definitely looks like he has dirt on his chin, what kind of plants and dirt are in your , could you possibly post a picture of the room if its not to personal, if he got into a toxic plant and its been a couple days since then idk what you’d then do im sorry :( , try to keep him hydrated and feed him veg if you can so we can flush out any chemicals from the dirt/plant, most dirt out here have fertilizers in them, I recommend “black cow” as fertilizer rather than potting soil with man made chemicals.
Hi. Its not dirt, it's banana that dried up :/ I didn't want to bother him with a bath since he is not feeling well.
All my my plans are hanging or on the ledge. There is no dirt on the floor.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Screen filters 30% of uvb-- and yes they will not show illness till they can't hide it any longer it is a instinct thing-- how old is the UVB bulb--- and what are you using brand and bulb?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. Its not dirt, it's banana that dried up :/ I didn't want to bother him with a bath since he is not feeling well.
All my my plans are hanging or on the ledge. There is no dirt on the floor.
What possible things could he have eaten then? Black stool isnt good, is he receptive to veggies other than fruit?

Izzymom

Bearded Dragon Egg
What possible things could he have eaten then? Black stool isnt good, is he receptive to veggies other than fruit?
Oh yes, he loves veggies too. I was just worried about something crawling into the crack under the 2 doors maybe. Grabbing at straws here.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get him back into his tank w/ the correct basking temps and UVB and go from there -- watch his behavior - if it does not start to turn around in a few days then a vet visit would be in order
www.arav.org
If it is indeed the lack of UVB and basking temps you will notice a difference quickly

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yes, he loves veggies too. I was just worried about something crawling into the crack under the 2 doors maybe. Grabbing at straws here.
Not many bugs thatd crawl into your lanai area would make him this hurt :( a few ants or a spider wouldn’t do this, the area you guys live in do you get lots of those black/yellow,orange “lubbers” grass hoppers? They’re really poisonous, i was looking at another forum for poisoning care, and someone juiced parsley,cilantro, then coconut water (cause its better than pedelite) and thay added activated charcoal , all these will help flush out toxins :( idk if it will help but its worth a try?