• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shy eater

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
So my beardie hates being seen when he eats. He'll sneak over and grab a bite or two, but if he notices anybody watching, he runs right back up onto his rock. I've read you're supposed to feed insects 3x a day, as much as they'll eat in 10-15 minutes. But I can't get him to eat any while I'm around. Not even if I tease him with it right in front of his face. He eats a bite or two at a time when no one's looking--whether it's insects or salad. I've caught him eating both. Is it bad if I leave BSFL in his tank all day and let him eat them when he wants to? He's not eating many at this point--maybe 15 a day (I'm guessing he's between 2.5-3 months, based on his length). If I shouldn't leave them all day, how can I encourage him to eat them when it's time to eat them?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can put the bugs in a glass bowl and let him eat out of that. Bugs have trouble climbing smooth surfaces. I used to take the back legs off of my crickets when I bowl fed so they wouldn't be able to jump out.

Some dragons are just shy eaters and will probably grow out of it or go through phases where he will eat in from to you and when he won't.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks! He’s starting to get more interested as soon as I put them in his tank, instead of waiting so long. Today he ate a bite out of my hubby’s hand! But he still doesn’t want me around when he’s eating. :( I think it may be because I’m the one handling him most often, and he doesn’t have an appreciation for it yet. :/
They’re so funny with their personalities.