• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I Take my Beardie to the Vet?

creamgravy

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's winter time where I am, and naturally the house gets a little colder and the lights go off sooner. I'm used to my beardie becoming more inactive during this time, I've had her for about 5 years now so I'm no stranger to this behavior.

The only problem is, she looks much worse now than any winter I've had her. Her color is off (her scales are normally substantially darker), she's INCREDIBLY lethargic, has no interest in eating, and almost looks a little gaunt, but it's hard to say.

I'm very nervous and don't know why she's like this. The closest vet that will handle reptiles to me is almost 2 hours away, and with my schedule that's not very easy to handle in a day. But I want to make sure she's healthy above anything. Should I take her to the vet?

If it helps, I can attach pictures, but I'm trying to not bother her too much right now since the night lights are on and I'd like her to sleep.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Are her temperatures dropping too low at night? Sounds bad i'd check her at the vet just to be safe.

Pictures are also always helpful.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's winter time where I am, and naturally the house gets a little colder and the lights go off sooner. I'm used to my beardie becoming more inactive during this time, I've had her for about 5 years now so I'm no stranger to this behavior.

The only problem is, she looks much worse now than any winter I've had her. Her color is off (her scales are normally substantially darker), she's INCREDIBLY lethargic, has no interest in eating, and almost looks a little gaunt, but it's hard to say.

I'm very nervous and don't know why she's like this. The closest vet that will handle reptiles to me is almost 2 hours away, and with my schedule that's not very easy to handle in a day. But I want to make sure she's healthy above anything. Should I take her to the vet?

If it helps, I can attach pictures, but I'm trying to not bother her too much right now since the night lights are on and I'd like her to sleep.
Please go over the tank husbandry ---- UVB what your using coil or tube where it is in the tank basking temps how are you taking them and what they are ----- she should not be going into brumation w/ low weight --- lethargic is not good ---

creamgravy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I appreciate the help, but unfortunately the night after I posted this my beardie passed. She was 5 and I've never had trouble with brumation before. I only wish I noticed the problems sooner.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I appreciate the help, but unfortunately the night after I posted this my beardie passed. She was 5 and I've never had trouble with brumation before. I only wish I noticed the problems sooner.
I am so sorry to hear about the dragon----- your temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank --- NO coils for UVB and temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- also placement and distance is crucial for UVB effectiveness -- in correct temps and lighting will bring on brumation type behavior --- it is good to go over this if your not sure about the behavior your getting from the dragon --- again I am sorry to hear about your dragon
:(