• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding / Basking

Crash Lover

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, I have a 3 year old Beardie, though he's only been mine for about a year.
I recently got him a rock cave which he loves, but seems to sleep in almost all day.
He will come out and bask for a bit, but he's almost always sleeping in his cave..

Also, how long are older beardies supposed to shed for?
He's been shedding patches for a bout a month now, and I've been spraying him down, and giving him little baths, is this normal?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The shedding sounds normal for an adult. Posting your Husbandry specs, temps, types & brands & strengths of lighting, size of enclosure, along with pics of the enclosure clearly showing the lighting placement & basic setup, would be very helpful for members to become more familiar with the situation & be able to give more helpful suggestions\advice. Are you using a night light\heat? Did this behavior start immediately upon acquiring the cave, or shortly after. Prior to this, was it trying to dig around or spend the majority of it's time on the cool side, not moving around much? What are it's daylight hours (lights on). Do you generally find it in the morning, in the same position as it was in the night before, when it went to sleep? Answering these questions as accurately as possible will help.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
The shedding sounds normal for an adult. Posting your Husbandry specs, temps, types & brands & strengths of lighting, size of enclosure, along with pics of the enclosure clearly showing the lighting placement & basic setup, would be very helpful for members to become more familiar with the situation & be able to give more helpful suggestions\advice. Are you using a night light\heat? Did this behavior start immediately upon acquiring the cave, or shortly after. Prior to this, was it trying to dig around or spend the majority of it's time on the cool side, not moving around much? What are it's daylight hours (lights on). Do you generally find it in the morning, in the same position as it was in the night before, when it went to sleep? Answering these questions as accurately as possible will help.

Is it bad if the beardie is in the same position in the morning that he was in at night? My baby falls asleep on his hammock at night and in the morning he is still on his hammock just waking up.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not bad, that is the way it should be, that means he had a good undisturbed sleep.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh yes....my beardie puts himself to bed under his hammock and 12 hours later he is still there!!! Sure wish I could sleep that long!!