• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Severely ingrown nail

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I recently adopted a juvenile bearded dragon from a nearby reptile rescue. I started handling it a bit ago and noticed that some of its nails were overgrown or growing in the wrong direction. One of the claws is ingrown, to the point where I don't think I could properly trim it. My beardie is going to the vet soon, but I'm very worried. I don't want it to grow into the foot. Any advice?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recently adopted a juvenile bearded dragon from a nearby reptile rescue. I started handling it a bit ago and noticed that some of its nails were overgrown or growing in the wrong direction. One of the claws is ingrown, to the point where I don't think I could properly trim it. My beardie is going to the vet soon, but I'm very worried. I don't want it to grow into the foot. Any advice?
Post pic of the foot please

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Decided it'd be a good idea to put pictures of the other three feet as well
20210726_221643.jpg
20210726_221557.jpg
20210726_221519.jpg

Anyways, here is the nail. Sorry for the bad camera quality.
20210726_221621.jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ive seen worse, They’re not too long, if ur afraid of cutting to much and making him bleed, use a nail file, file the extra long one every day, it’ll take A month for them to be back to normal, if you do cut them and accidentally make him bleed, have on hand flour or corn starch , dip his toe in it to clot the blood.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
00BF9B62-5FA3-4293-960A-B5ECDD1E0E0D.jpeg

You want to take off just the tips. Where it turns pink thats where the “quick” is, It’ll recede after a few cuts and then you can get them under control.