• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting Up 120 Gallon Tank

MiraeSophia

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I just recently purchased a 120 gallon tank and I need some help with choosing the right lighting. I want to make sure he's healthy and happy. He's about 10 months old now. Thx.

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
A 120 Gallon tank is a great tank footprint. but here’s a general run down on the lighting. Your going to need a %12 Arcadia Desert UVB light as for how long the fixture should be I can’t say with out the measurments if it it‘s a 4x2x2 the ideal length is a “24 inch fixture with a 22” inch bulb make sure the UVB is at least 8-12 inches away from your Dragon to prevent putting into overexposure zones. Your also going to need a 100W heat bulb do not use the red bulbs, a Halogen Bulb would work greatly I’ll add a link later, this light may vary depending on whether you have live plants or not but a plant LED maybe be a good idea to add a Nicrew Classic or an Arcadia Jungle Dawn or the BioDude’s Glow or Solar Grow would work perfectly depending on if you have plants or not. Some people like to use Ceramic Heat Emitters Depending on if your night time temp is to cool but that may depend on how your temperatures are.

MiraeSophia

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so do I need 2 100W heat bulbs with a dimmer? I don't plan to add any plants and the room that he's in doesn't get too cold so I'm guessing I won't need a ceramic heat emitter. Last thing should the basking bulb go inside or can it go on the top? I'm getting a lot of confusing information about that. Thx for your input.

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
No problem it depends what type of style cage you have I keep my bulb on the top of the lid but that’s only because I have a screen lid. For a 120 you are probably going to want two heat bulbs to spread out a wider basking spot. If you have one of those metal screen lids it should be fine to put it on the top.

KeBEARDIE

Hatchling Dragon
Make sure your Bearded Dragon isn’t able to get super close to the heat lamp it’s recommended to get a Digital Thermometer & Hydrometer preferably with a probe to get the most accurate temperature readings a heat gun is very useful if you touch your Beardie’s basking spot and it’s to hot for you to touch probably lower the temperature.