• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Separating Bearded Dragons help/opinions?

Lydia2512

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have had our bearded dragons for 9 years a male and a female, me and my mum rescued them together and they have always lived together in one vivarium, because they’re rescued and adult sized when we got them we are not sure how old they are exactly. The male is constantly trying to mate and bothering the female all day and doesn’t let her have any peace he has recently beeen drawing blood on her face and othe parts of her she looks really tired and down. So I was hoping to get some opinions on whether it would be best to get another vivarium and separate them for good or if this would distress them as they have lived together so long? I just can’t watch this happen anymore as she looks miserable and tries to escape him and they’re getting older now. Thank you and any advice is appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have had our bearded dragons for 9 years a male and a female, me and my mum rescued them together and they have always lived together in one vivarium, because they’re rescued and adult sized when we got them we are not sure how old they are exactly. The male is constantly trying to mate and bothering the female all day and doesn’t let her have any peace he has recently beeen drawing blood on her face and othe parts of her she looks really tired and down. So I was hoping to get some opinions on whether it would be best to get another vivarium and separate them for good or if this would distress them as they have lived together so long? I just can’t watch this happen anymore as she looks miserable and tries to escape him and they’re getting older now. Thank you and any advice is appreciated.
Get them separated ASAP--- dragons should never be housed together and what you just described is the reason why---- even when breeding they are never kept together --- please do so NOW or your going to lose your female

Lydia2512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank you so much, I wish I knew all of this beforehand they have been taken to the reptile shop numerous times to get sexed and checked out and no one ever said anything about them not living together. I was worried about making them even more miserable by separating them after so long but my female is so lovely and the male is so full of energy and too much for her. Will this affect them negatively being separated?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you so much, I wish I knew all of this beforehand they have been taken to the reptile shop numerous times to get sexed and checked out and no one ever said anything about them not living together. I was worried about making them even more miserable by separating them after so long but my female is so lovely and the male is so full of energy and too much for her. Will this affect them negatively being separated?
No your female will be so much better off-- your male might not like it so much but oh well-- they should not see each other in their own tanks- it will stress him out

Lydia2512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh that’s reassuring I was so worried about that but it is for the best. The male will be moving to my nans house so they won’t be seeing each other, hopefully I can do the move soon I feel so awful I didn’t realise this sooner she’s such a sweet girl. Do you think she will be okay for at least a week to get all the preparations done as I have to wait for the new tank to be ready etc

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardies don't really get attached to other reptiles at all and your beardies will not feel any grief when they're separated. Your male is likely to maul the female or breed her to death, and they're in constant competition for food, heat, etc. They can probably make it through that last week, but keep a very close eye on them.

Lydia2512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank you so much for your replies, I will watch them closely and keep an eye out for anymore signs of distress.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh that’s reassuring I was so worried about that but it is for the best. The male will be moving to my nans house so they won’t be seeing each other, hopefully I can do the move soon I feel so awful I didn’t realise this sooner she’s such a sweet girl. Do you think she will be okay for at least a week to get all the preparations done as I have to wait for the new tank to be ready etc
I would get her into a 20 gallon tote now w/ a UVB tube fixture No coils and a basking bulb make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate basking temps- small tanks heat up and are hard to get temps- it will be trial.and error but she needs to be separated now-- use paper towels for now for substrate-

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
50-75watt should do, i think 100 watt would be to much heat output for a 20 gal?, but depending of ventilation and ambient room temperature , use a heat probe to check as heat guns can be unreliable with multiple textures and substrates

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you, do I get a 100 watt bulb for the new tank when it comes?
For a larger tank yes 100 watt is the standard , anything smaller than a 40 gal might need lower than 100watt

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking bulbs are trial and error -- you will need the digital probe thermometer - I used a 75 watt in my 20 gallon but it was glass -- if your using a plastic tote it might be off w/ a 75 watt --- just make sure you have the probe -- the same w/ the 40 gallon you may use the 100 watt start there but have the probe to get your actual basking temps -- you can use a IR gun but certain materials can throw them off --- like a hammock you cannot use a IR gun on a hammock --