• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scratching Glass

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My Beardie Smaug has been scratching at the glass. What does this mean. He is a baby and is in a 10 gallon terrarium and has proper heating and humidity and is getting fed crickets. I take him out of his tank to roam alot.

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Something is going on w/ the lighting-------------- is his beard black? If hes scratching and your taking him out my guess it has something to do w/ the lighting and or the temps---- please post a pic of your tank so I can better help you------------ if you have a coil UVB that could be the issue what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun? stick ons? or digital probe ?
kaylyn
He is a baby less than 1 month his bearded is not black. The temps are around 104 degrees. I use Reptisun 10.0 and I have 2 digital probes. He does randomly go from basking and than shoots to the other side like he sees something. I put paper on 3 sides of the tank and that helps him not scratch. by the way i have a very poor camera but i'll try to post a picture

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Something is going on w/ the lighting-------------- is his beard black? If hes scratching and your taking him out my guess it has something to do w/ the lighting and or the temps---- please post a pic of your tank so I can better help you------------ if you have a coil UVB that could be the issue what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun? stick ons? or digital probe ?
kaylyn
WIN_20190822_08_39_50_Pro.jpg

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the reptison 10 is a coil? I would ditch the coil -- here is some info on UVB's and what you should replace w/
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would get this done as soon as you can --- at this point hes basically getting no UVB at all please ask if you have more questions
kaylyn
I think he actually wanted to explore because I put paper on three sides of the tank and he does not do it anymore

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
All I can say is if the UVB is a coil there will be issues down the road and a dragon will only be healthy for so long before he isnt w/ lack of UVB ---- and that is basically what a coil doesnt provide ---- your issues will begin w/ not eating - lethargic - and worst of all MBD ---- all from lack of UVB --- I cannot stress enough that as a baby he needs this as he is developing his bones and he needs calcium--------------
kaylyn
The UVB bulb is not a coil and every day for ten minutes or so I take him outside to soak up the intense UVB. I give him Fluker's Repta Calcium with D3 and he likes it. Some came of the crickets on his hammock and he started to lick it up

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That is a coil ---- please get it changed out ASAP --- you need a tube
please read this https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133577- if it doesnt take you to topic you may haft to copy and paste it--------

and get one of the Reptisuns I sent in my earlier post -----either a T 8 or a T 5 ----- the only UVB rays your dragon is getting at this point are the ones when you take him outside ---
View attachment 20743
check out chewy.com for these bulbs and fixture or you can get them at your local petsmart or petco --- make sure you get the 10.0 not the 5.0 that is for aquarium ---- let me know if you have any questions please
Well I'm sorry but I'm not going to change it because I know a professional and he recommended it

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It is but not the same here is some info on UVB's

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo,mpa coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
please read this experiment done I just read this today click on the link I sent to you --- I forgot to mention other hazzards of coils are neurological and eye issues --- even tho it is a Reptisun it is still not good --- only the tube here is another website to visit for info and research done
https://reptile.guide/best-uvb-bulbs-for-bearded-dragons/
I know a ton of people that used this bulb and it worked perfectly for them for the entire life of the bearded dragon

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It is but not the same here is some info on UVB's

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo,mpa coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
please read this experiment done I just read this today click on the link I sent to you --- I forgot to mention other hazzards of coils are neurological and eye issues --- even tho it is a Reptisun it is still not good --- only the tube here is another website to visit for info and research done
https://reptile.guide/best-uvb-bulbs-for-bearded-dragons/
So the links you keep giving me on beardeddragon.org the post said that the reptisun compact bulb did not do anything bad

Prof

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Beardie Smaug has been scratching at the glass. What does this mean. He is a baby and is in a 10 gallon terrarium and has proper heating and humidity and is getting fed crickets. I take him out of his tank to roam alot.

The Internet is a great source of information, but because it is not well monitored, sometimes there is information that has generally been refuted over time. Please note that the posted experiment article is nearly 10 years old. There has been technological improvement over that time and issues such as eye damage are largely a thing of the past with coil bulbs. Lack of adequate UVB for dragons, though, is still a concern and a good UVB monitor, as well as an understanding of what the monitor is telling you, is critical for good husbandry. In addition, issues with lights or heat, while often a cause for glass surfacing, are not exclusive. As the OP indicates, the behavior may be brought on by reflections (i.e., the appearance of another animal just outside the enclosure), or the desire to get out for some exercise and exploration. My dragon enjoys time out of the enclosure and, when he sees that I appear to have settled in the room (a normal time for him to come out), he will scratch. Other than that, he rarely does unless he wants a better view out the window and the blind is closed!

The lesson is that we need to fully research all issues from a variety of sources. Forums are incredibly useful for personal experience whereas I prefer veterinary sites for medical/health specific information. Asking questions, whether on a forum or a website, benefits not only the person asking but everyone who contributes to the conversation or reads the conversation. Together we can grow our knowledge of dragon behavior, needs, and husbandry.

heckhaven

Bearded Dragon Egg

It's possible that he is seeing a reflection of himself in the glass that he thinks is another B.D., He knows you will take him out if he paws the glass, Or, he may just need some plants or limbs to crawl on.
They are really very smart animals (as - more than us humans give them credit for). The Tank does look very bare - he needs things to get under or up on.
My "Guilly" loves to play with a cat type ball - small with a bell in it - he rolls it all over and can play with it for hours.

heckhaven

Bearded Dragon Egg

https://www.thesprucepets.com/bearded-dragon-glass-surfing-1238401

BeardedDragonNamedSteve

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The Internet is a great source of information, but because it is not well monitored, sometimes there is information that has generally been refuted over time. Please note that the posted experiment article is nearly 10 years old. There has been technological improvement over that time and issues such as eye damage are largely a thing of the past with coil bulbs. Lack of adequate UVB for dragons, though, is still a concern and a good UVB monitor, as well as an understanding of what the monitor is telling you, is critical for good husbandry. In addition, issues with lights or heat, while often a cause for glass surfacing, are not exclusive. As the OP indicates, the behavior may be brought on by reflections (i.e., the appearance of another animal just outside the enclosure), or the desire to get out for some exercise and exploration. My dragon enjoys time out of the enclosure and, when he sees that I appear to have settled in the room (a normal time for him to come out), he will scratch. Other than that, he rarely does unless he wants a better view out the window and the blind is closed!

The lesson is that we need to fully research all issues from a variety of sources. Forums are incredibly useful for personal experience whereas I prefer veterinary sites for medical/health specific information. Asking questions, whether on a forum or a website, benefits not only the person asking but everyone who contributes to the conversation or reads the conversation. Together we can grow our knowledge of dragon behavior, needs, and husbandry.
Sometimes when I take him out and sets him down on the desk he runs back to his cage and scratches to get back in

TorQueSS

Bearded Dragon Egg
kaylyn

I would suggest at least a 40 gal tank and stuff for him/her to hide in and crawl on too

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I'm sorry but I'm not going to change it because I know a professional and he recommended it

Coil UVB lights ARE NOT good for bearded dragons, anyone that says different is NOT an expert on bearded dragons, PLEASE do a little more research on UVB lighting specifically for bearded dragons, you will find that everything Kayly is saying about UVB lighting is correct and your dragon WILL suffer from having a UVB coil light, its bad for their eyes and does not send out enough UVB rays in the right direction.

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
As was mentioned, I think, the dragon probably just wants to get out and play. Mine does this a lot. My guy has actually learned how to use the doggy door to go outside (supervised, of course).

On the topic of UVB, I prefer mercury vapors. My hero recommends them strongly and they seem to work very well. Though they are more expensive.