• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Courtney Cheseborough

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
My boyfriend and I purchased our bearded dragon about a month and a half ago as a juvenile and he is still very scared of us. Once we get him out of his tank he's a lot calmer, but when we're trying to pick him up he is very scared and won't stop running away.

Are we doing something wrong? Should we just be taking him out more? Help and suggestions appreciated.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
When you go to pick him up, from his perspective, where is your hand coming at him from? Over his head or low and from the side? Do you talk to him as you approach?

Courtney Cheseborough

Bearded Dragon Egg
When you go to pick him up, from his perspective, where is your hand coming at him from? Over his head or low and from the side? Do you talk to him as you approach?

We try to pick him up from under his belly, in the center of his body. And I haven't really thought about that but I guess we're pretty quiet when we reach for him because we don't want to scare/startle him.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
We try to pick him up from under his belly, in the center of his body. And I haven't really thought about that but I guess we're pretty quiet when we reach for him because we don't want to scare/startle him.
So your physical approach sounds perfect, but try talking to him when you're near him. You could also try just having your hand in the tank without trying to pick him up - maybe try just petting him a bit, and/or giving him a treat.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
It took my dragon weeks to be ok with my hands. I started just holding him in my hand in the tank until he hopped off, usually a few minutes, and did just that for a few weeks before I took him out of the tank. They are slow at getting used to a new environment.

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
You just have to keep at it. He will calm down. Also I suggest checking out YouTube for videos of that type of thing. Lots of good behavioral advise form people on there.