• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roaches!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys!

I have a question about feeding. I know that one roach is the equivalent to 15 crickets. 75 crickets more or less in a day should equal about 15 roaches. 15 roaches divided by being fed 3 times a day should equal around 5 or so roaches per feeding. I give him easy 20-30 roaches a day. 10 to 15 at a time. On top of a few baby super worms.

Am I over feeding him? [emoji28]

I have been feeding him out of a special bowel that keeps the bugs from crawling out. But I read somewhere that I should let him hunt his food. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nope, you are not overfeeding him. My understanding was that 1 roach=4 crickets, mine would eat 40 to 50 medium roaches a day, fewer now I have switched to large ones. They do like to hunt, but not many like the thought of roaches running around free, as long as he gets some exercise its not essential.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, 1 roach is equal to more like 7 crickets. Lots of people feed roaches out of a bowl. I think it would be a good idea though to throw them in one at a time and let him hunt. I do that with my adult girl and super worms. I throw one in and when she eats that I throw in another one. I keep an eye on the bugs to make sure they get eaten.

One thing about dubia is they go straight for a dark space or small space to crawl under soooo if you loose one, those are the places to look first. When I lose one in my frog tank, they go right under the leaf litter and don't move. I'm house sitting my nephews chameleon and the dubia like to crawl up the vine and nuzzle where the vine is attached to the mesh.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks guys! I don't mind them wondering IN the tank. Now if they get out and start a party in my room is where I'll freak out [emoji23].

I'm going to go ahead and do the hunting game whenever I'm home early enough to do it.

Lately I take him out about an hour before lights out whole I shower and let him run around in the bathroom and he seems to love it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk