• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach issues

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys! Well I have to say that my project to breed orange head roaches who's care is more or less identical to dubias aside from eating more protein, is starting to bare fruit by the looks of it. It's been challenging though to say the least. For a period of 2 or 3 weeks recently I had a string of fatalities despite doing nothing wrong. I would estimate I lost about 10 adults and 1 huge nymph but I haven't seen any deaths in over a week since I re-arranged the egg crate layout. These things would just flip over somehow and then would just die because they couldn't flip themselves over. I at least hope that's over. The other problem I'm still trying to deal with is the fact that the ceramic heat emitter I'm using to keep it a bit darker for them in there dries out fruits and vegetables within a day before they can even eat most of them and I don't really see a way to stop that. Fortunately with the 100 new roaches I just ordered I think I have about 150 in there now and I am seeing tiny nymphs which could have come with one of the mixed size batches I ordered, but suggests there's at least some mild reproduction going on in there. Probably at least a good 30 newborn nymphs that if I understand correctly should reach sexual maturity themselves in a little over 3 months. I'm thinking of gathering up all the small nymphs and raising them separately for a while to see if any new ones are being born in there.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, glad it all seems to be going well for you. You could perhaps make the food last a little bit longer by covering it. If say, you put a box or plastic container over the food and put a cup of water under there there too, the humidity should stop it drying out so fast. As long long as you make some holes big enough for the roaches to get in and out or prop one edge up slightly so they can get under, it may work, but its just a thought so you would have to try it to find out.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, glad it all seems to be going well for you. You could perhaps make the food last a little bit longer by covering it. If say, you put a box or plastic container over the food and put a cup of water under there there too, the humidity should stop it drying out so fast. As long long as you make some holes big enough for the roaches to get in and out or prop one edge up slightly so they can get under, it may work, but its just a thought so you would have to try it to find out.

Thanks BeardedHippy! That is Genius! I'm going to do that for sure!