• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Researching to purchase

RiNiKy506

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am new and trying to do my research before buying a bearded dragon. I have a friend who has a bearded dragon and my mother has one, my mother also breeds dubia roaches for hers. They seem like such cool, cute, laid back guys, and fun to interact with. I have 6 hermit crabs in a 29 gallon habitat and a chihuahua, I’m looking to add a bearded dragon in the next few months or so, I want to make sure I have all the info for proper care. We bought our hermit crabs on vacation in a small wire cage and when I researched proper care for them made a quick switch over to what they really needed. It hasn’t been too hard keeping up with proper heat, humidity, organic foods, etc. for the hermit crabs, but I think the bearded dragons are exact opposite and need extreme dry conditions. If anyone has any tips on raising them, please share. I have a few questions to start with...
Is it better to have a male or female?
Is it better to raise from a baby or adopt?
I’m sure there’s more, just wanted to say hello. Thank you in advance.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Hello, and great for doing your research BEFORE you get your beardie!

If you poke around the forum—especially the sticky topics—you should get a pretty good idea on basic care. Feel free to ask any questions you don’t see answers to or don’t andersrand. The amount of info can leave your mind spinning for a while.

It seems males or females seem pretty personable. Individual personality varies so much, you don’t know what you’ll get until you get it and they settle in—especially with a baby. If you do get a baby, many people can’t tell gender until they’re older.

As for baby or adoption, there are different things to consider. With adoption, you may be able to see what kind of personality the beardie has. And may be more sure on gender, if you have a preference. The reason I went with a baby is because this is my first beardie, and I’m not experienced enough an owner to deal with any health issues a beardie who has had improper care may have. Since your mother is an experienced owner, you may not have that issue. Just something to consider. Many sweet, adult beardies—and many of those who are perfectly healthy—need adopting.

Have fun researching!

RiNiKy506

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for your reply. I wanted to do my research first because I don’t like to get any pets without knowing proper care for them. Everything I thought I knew about having hermit crabs when I was younger was incorrect. They haven’t been too hard, I haven’t had any issues and hopefully I don’t. The only problem with my mom having a bearded dragon is she lives about 3 hours from us. My youngest wanted the hermit crabs and I always take care of them so they ended up mine. He’s also the one that really wants the bearded and I’m sure I’ll be the one to take care of it as well. Reading all the new info is a lot to take in, I felt that way when I joined the hermit crab association too. I do have a 50 gal tank that I was planning on putting my hermit crabs in but I might just put bearded in there instead. Do you think it would be easier to start with something smaller? I’ll probably just keep looking around and the one that’s meant to come home with us will, if I find one that needs a home, or a baby. Thanks again for your reply.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
It seems to be a matter of personal preference whether you start a beardie in something larger or smaller. Smaller tanks won’t last long, as they grow quickly. You will eventually want maximum floor space. At least a 40-gallon breeder tank. I started my beardie in a smaller tank, just because I had an empty 20-gallon sitting around. We’re about to build her a larger viv (hopefully this week!). She’s around 4 months old and is pretty much maxed out in this tank.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
For your first I would get a male at least 8 weeks old, 7.5" long and 30 grams. That way you know its a good eater and wont likely have immediate health issues. Females can have more problems (bound eggs etc.) when older. Buy from a really good breeder. Also dont discount buying one 3 or 4 months old that is of appropriate size for age and has been handled daily. Less fragile, more laid back the the youngsters. Buy an enclosure once, that means get a larger one with front sliding or hinged doors. Check out dragons4you, they make really nice lightweight enclosures with inside fixtures, sliding fron doors, and hold heat really well. I use the 36"x21"x17" version. They also are easy to clean.

Bredders I can recommed are:

dp-dragons
Fairytail dragons
Blazin dragons
Kids and dragons

There are many more out there, most good but a few not so much. Make sure you know the date of hatch, size and weight if buying online before purchase. Lots of runts being sold.