• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ReptiSun UVB T5 5.0 vs ReptiSun UVB T5 10.0 (46 Inches in Length)

sandraazevedo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! My name is Sandra and I am new to this forum, looking for some guidance/recommendations on my UVB setup. I have researched this topic all over the web and it's hard to get the same answer across the board. (Even on this forum, I've read different variations) I currently have my 5 year old male bearded dragon in a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft wood enclosure with glass doors and glass sides framed out in wood (Lights are suspended inside, no mesh). I don't think he is getting enough UVB. I took him to the vet for a yearly check up and she noticed a very slight tremor in him. She prescribed liquid calcium over a 7 day period, I've also began powder calcium in his salads/bugs 2-3 times a week.

But now I have become obsessed with the current UVB setup. Since the tank is so large I am using a 150wt basking bulb that keeps it around 98-100F on the "hot" side of the tank, the "cool" side is typically 82-88F. Prior to the recent vet appointment, I had a 4ft ReptiSun T8 10.0 in a regular light fixture no reflector, in the enclosure.

Now I have the new T5 UVB from ReptiSun 5.0. At the highest point in his enclosure, he is sitting at 13-14 inches from both UVB and basking light. Should I have him closer to the UVB? And is it recommended to upgrade the UVB to the T5 ReptiSun 10.0 instead of the 5.0? (The new UVB I just mentioned is installed in a T5 fixture with a reflector)

If anyone has recommendations I'd greatly appreciate the feedback. I have joined several reptile care groups on Facebook, forums, asked vets, researched online but nothing has been super helpful, just more varied information of the same ideas on enclosure set ups and lighting. I understand there are many variables that can make different bulbs more or less appropriate per enclosure. I attached photos of the tank and a reference photo of a 4ft set up off this website below. This website also recommended the UVB and the fixture I bought. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Front Side View.jpg
    Front Side View.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 15
  • UVB and Basking Location.JPG
    UVB and Basking Location.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Typical SetUp for 4ft Tank.PNG
    Typical SetUp for 4ft Tank.PNG
    842.5 KB · Views: 15
  • (Current Light) ReptiSun T5 5.0 UVB.PNG
    (Current Light) ReptiSun T5 5.0 UVB.PNG
    237.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ReptiSun T5 10.0 UVB.PNG
    ReptiSun T5 10.0 UVB.PNG
    627.4 KB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! My name is Sandra and I am new to this forum, looking for some guidance/recommendations on my UVB setup. I have researched this topic all over the web and it's hard to get the same answer across the board. (Even on this forum, I've read different variations) I currently have my 5 year old male bearded dragon in a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft wood enclosure with glass doors and glass sides framed out in wood (Lights are suspended inside, no mesh). I don't think he is getting enough UVB. I took him to the vet for a yearly check up and she noticed a very slight tremor in him. She prescribed liquid calcium over a 7 day period, I've also began powder calcium in his salads/bugs 2-3 times a week.

But now I have become obsessed with the current UVB setup. Since the tank is so large I am using a 150wt basking bulb that keeps it around 98-100F on the "hot" side of the tank, the "cool" side is typically 82-88F. Prior to the recent vet appointment, I had a 4ft ReptiSun T8 10.0 in a regular light fixture no reflector, in the enclosure.

Now I have the new T5 UVB from ReptiSun 5.0. At the highest point in his enclosure, he is sitting at 13-14 inches from both UVB and basking light. Should I have him closer to the UVB? And is it recommended to upgrade the UVB to the T5 ReptiSun 10.0 instead of the 5.0? (The new UVB I just mentioned is installed in a T5 fixture with a reflector)

If anyone has recommendations I'd greatly appreciate the feedback. I have joined several reptile care groups on Facebook, forums, asked vets, researched online but nothing has been super helpful, just more varied information of the same ideas on enclosure set ups and lighting. I understand there are many variables that can make different bulbs more or less appropriate per enclosure. I attached photos of the tank and a reference photo of a 4ft set up off this website below. This website also recommended the UVB and the fixture I bought. Thanks in advance!

please upgrade the UVB bulb to a 10.0 and placed directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches ---- the tremors will hopefully stop - the T 8 was not adequate for a tank that large and the 5.0 is not as strong its basically equivalent to the T 8--- please do this as soon as possible - are you taking surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

sandraazevedo

Bearded Dragon Egg
please upgrade the UVB bulb to a 10.0 and placed directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches ---- the tremors will hopefully stop - the T 8 was not adequate for a tank that large and the 5.0 is not as strong its basically equivalent to the T 8--- please do this as soon as possible - are you taking surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Okay, so you're saying the distance I currently get for the basking is fine, to just switch it out to the 10.0 T5?
The temps I referenced in my original post are just digital terms on the back wall of enclosure and I have them at the height which he is usually at. The basking one is across where his platform is located and the cool one is across where his hammock is in the picture I attached. I placed them where he typically likes to lounge most.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, so you're saying the distance I currently get for the basking is fine, to just switch it out to the 10.0 T5?
The temps I referenced in my original post are just digital terms on the back wall of enclosure and I have them at the height which he is usually at. The basking one is across where his platform is located and the cool one is across where his hammock is in the picture I attached. I placed them where he typically likes to lounge most.
Your basking temp should be 95-100 taken from the spot where he sits - its called a surface basking temp -- the UVB should be directly over him approx 12-15 inches - you should have 3 temps in the tank --- his hot side -- middle of the tank 90's and the cool side 80's --- I use a 120 gallon tank and have two basking areas - the hotter side for hotter temps w/ a piece of decor that gives gradient heat and then the middle of the tank which is where the UVB is and on the rock under the UVB is in the 90's -- then cool side of the tank 80's -- I hope that answered your question